The Firearms Forum banner

WORTH THE EFFORT?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Shrek 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Remington 514 at a cheap price and the gun is in pristine condition.

It has open sights and my eyesight is not that good anymore and my question is this; Is this gun accurate enough to spend the money on mounting a scope on it? I also want to thread the barrel to accept a noise suppressor.

I really want a noise suppressed .22 LR that is extremely accurate out to 50 plus yards.

#3 ·
The 514 isn't a great choice to scope. It's a single shot and it has very little surface area on the top of the receiver for scope mounts. It can be done but the rings will be close together. It would be a pain to load with the scope mount and scope in the way. And if I remember correctly the 514 doesn't eject to the right, it ejects at a higher angle that could be a problem with a scope. It just wasn't designed with a scope in mind.

There are far better 22 rifles to use. Trade that one in or sell it if you must.

#5 ·
I have a model 514 and really enjoy shooting it, but I like single shots. I wear glasses and my nearly 60 year old eyes have no problems with the sights on the 514. I would not put a scope on this rifle, it's a fine plinker and quiet with the right ammo, shorts etc.

If you decide you don't like it, I will gladly buy it. LOL

Greg

#8 · (Edited)
GunHugger;

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. As I look at the weapon, what you say is right. I guess I will just sell it and beef up my Ruger 10/22 some more.
Go get a Marlin 795 for $129 or less, send in the $25 rebate, and you have something that is
out-of-the-box more precise than a Ruger 10/22 for half the price.

And please, don't even try to tell me you can't Pimp a Marlin...

Ramline stock, $14.95
Bipod, $19.98
Target Rear Sight, $9.70
Sling, $8.98

I'm just waiting on a certain company to send me some 30-round mags...and it's party time at the next Appleseed ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.