Would a buyer take a chance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greeker375, Jan 16, 2005.

1. greeker375

greeker375 New Member

I was thinking last night that when I turn 60 I would likely start selling off my collection as I rarely get the chance to shoot or hunt locally and traveling distances is getting risky. So I was thinking of putting all my guns in my 2 vaults, listing what was in each and take bids on each one, with vault included, sight unseen.
    Would any of you take a flyer and bid on something like that?

(this is more of a curiosity thing to reinforce how hairbrained an idea I have or not). Thanks for your input.
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Not me. It'd be far to rich for my blood. Personally, I like to touch and feel the guns I'm going to buy. Look down the bore, and look at the fit and finish.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Not I. I am with ISB. I insist on knowing what I'm getting and the only way to do that is to examine closely all aspects of the weapon.

Can't do that from a flyer.....
  4. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

It would be unusual if everything in the vault would hold interest for me. Bidding on a box of stuff to get one, or two items, is never cost wise. Put them as individual items in an auction. I've got to big safes and don't need another.
  5. pickenup

pickenup New Member

When the bill is not paid at “u-store-it” places, they hold a public auction for whatever is in the unit. Some places let you “browse” through the stuff, other places just let you “look” through the door. It is amazing what people will pay for a unit “sight unseen”

But I think gun “nuts” are way to picky to do that. If there were good descriptions, pictures, and info on everything in the safe, you “might” get a decent offer. Selling them one at a time is the best way to go. (for the most part) only dealers would be interested in buying the whole lot. And you KNOW they are not going to want to pay what it is worth.

Oh, and I will start the bidding out at $50.
    Might save some money……here. :eek: ;) :D
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    greeker, I would but there again I help out in my father's gun shop from time to time. What you will get doing that is well below what they are worth. If you allow people to see them, touch them, and bid on them individually you will get market value or even higher. We had an auction of over 100 guns from my late friend's estate on Dec. 31, 2004 and all the guns brought 10 to 50% above RETAIL!!!! I said I should kill myself off in name and sell mine at auction being a dead man's guns bring more than a live ones! :eek: Then come back to, life to enjoy the money! ;)

Bottom line is in my opinion I would sell them out individually to get top dollar but I for one would bid on them by the vault but it would be low dollar bid! Most who will bid on them by the vault full are dealers who intend on resale so they will not pay more than what they can buy them at whole sale. If you do decide to do it by the vault, let me know.
  7. offeror

offeror New Member

I agree that I'd have to be very lucky to find a boxful of firearms that were all on my want list. Now, if the box went cheap enough.... but then you're probably not getting what you need out of them.

Personally, I like tac/prac guns rather than hunting/plinking guns, as in UZI, Izhmash, maybe a Rem 700 in a sniping caliber, etc. etc. So if there were handi-rifles or T/Cs or 30-30s mixed in I wouldn't bite.

Besides, a "lot" of guns tends to suggest that they are not in good enough shape to be selling individually. I would think it would be easier to sell the lot by listing them individually at very reasonable prices in the WT/BTS forum and making private deals. Mark them spoken for as they go.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  8. JamesRK

JamesRK New Member

You’ll come closer to getting what they are worth one at a time.
  9. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

IB mite, IF there is an "exact" descrpition of what they are. Offer would be in cash (US), would NOT want the safe. And the deal would HAVE to be "private" Capeesh?

:cool:

and I can "pikup"
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Let`s see, we never got a update on the raffle---NONE and your asking about this.

In a word......NO!

no offense

LTS
  11. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO LTS -------Que pasa? sounds like an offer to SELL, not a raffle or auction. am I rong-------------again? :cool: