Would A Self_respecting Sniper Get One?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyRobotic, Mar 8, 2004.

1. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

You should check out Crpdeth's ghillie suit. Just follow the link in the signature of any of his posts.
  3. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Not when he could make one more appropriate to his particular AO for much less money.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

crpdeth's ghillie suit is way better than that one.........

mike
  5. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

wuzzagrunt is right. why by one if you've had the training and know-how. this way if it falls apart or doesn't work thenthere's no one to blame but yourself. This way you can fix it and not be out much dough. I'm working on one now. I find shreddin the burlap agood stress relief not to mention it's quite calming, gives me my quiet time alone.

In simple terms: not this one.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  6. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I am not that fond of it. I agree, there are far better options.
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks guys, I got the site link back up since prompted:D

Geez, I gotta get to work.

*runs*

~Crp
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Walking Ghillies don't work - sorry, looks too much like Big Foot stomping around.

If it ain't got crawl pads - it aint a Ghillie.
  9. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

whada those ones look like i'm interested in building one?
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Smash:

The trick is, to try not to diddybop around...You are right in what you say because some people will construct/purchase a ghillie and start thinking they are invisible.

Nice and easy, nice and slow, and they work extreamly well.

One example: I once played a paintball "scenario game" where I utilized my full ghillie, it was not a large game by Viper Scenario standards, but with 300 people on each side at only 100 acres, it was very active ...I had been hit so it was a good time to go get the ghillie out of the tent and put it on, it was a winter game so the extra warmth suited me fine...After I was reinstated into the game, through the medic bay, I was taking my time, taking it all in, and flanking an obvious firefight about center field, by easing from one location to another, making sure I knew my next move...What happened next is something I'll always remember simply because it couldn't be more unlikely...Another player came dashing into my area (I thought I was busted, but I didn't flinch) the guy slid in behind a small burm not 10 ft away from me, and I watched as he positioned himself towards the same firefight I was interested in, oblivious of my presence, unbelievable enough maybe but it gets deeper...Most paintball players at least try to abide by a 20 ft rule, meaning they will give another player a chance to give up at this range, because 1) At 300 fps these things hurt, and 2)If they decline you can light 'em up...But heres the unbelievable part, I reconized the guy with no problem because all the equipment he was wearing was borrowed from me, he was on my side, he was my first cousin, (out of 600 people I have to bump into him :D )
    Well I couldn't resist, I said in the deepest voice I could muster, Give up?!?! He whirrled around looking for the owner of this question, and blurted out, yes! yes! but, um where the heck are you? I revealed my location and he came over and asked which side I was on, I laughed and said I'm on your side, and I'm your cousin...LOL, unbelievable, in a crowd of that magnitude but its a true story. I had been telling him of the suit I planned to bring to the game through E-mail, but I hadn't showed it to him yet, it was a nice presentation. :D

I could tell more stories, but I'm unsure anyone even wants to read this one, point is, I must say, that if you stomp around like bigfoot you'll sure look like him, otherwise they can be very effective.
    Any ghillie, in my opinion, is alot like a weapon, It can be used wrong to the point that you might as well not even have it...But to someone who takes their time, hones their skills, and learns its limits as well as its effectiveness...Well, these people love the results.

All said, I agree that being able to crawl carries alot of clout, so much so that I recommend most people go that route, but you also have to consider that alot of people just are not going to be crawling around on the ground, for these people a full ghillie is more effective because more of the body is covered in the upright, and crouching positions.

~Crpdeth
  11. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

Damn man yours is the best ghillie suit i've seen on any board or on ebay, looks like military grade. Were or are you an actual sniper or was it just made for paintball?

I like hearing stories of ghillie suits, i think they are the coolest damn things, and even though i don't hunt, (yet i guess) and i'm not a military sniper i don't really need one but would be cool to have one and yah never know if i ever got drafted for a war i'd like to have one, although less effective in the middle east ;)

maybe i should take pictures of the wooded areas around my house and you could recommend some ideas for a suit for me
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

John:
    Taking pictures is a great idea, but remember as seasons change...Well, you know all that.

Thanks for the compliments it means alot...No I was never in the military, I tried to join the Marines after high school, but thats another story...I just love this stuff for no real reason, I love our military and our military men and women (they are my heros) Always have been since I was a kid.
    I'm sure there will never be any real practical reason to use the ghillie, anymore than my desire to always learn more about survival, but I guess some people love muscle cars and motorcycles (my twin brother for one) and some love military/tactical/hunting/camping stuff ect, there dosent really have to be a reason.

You got it...I'll just say this, the people on this board have helped me in so many ways... Most are so much smarter than me, that I have been gleening information from them and inputting so little content, that I would be proud to help someone else for a change.

~Crp
  13. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

kid i worked with tried to join the marines but got kicked out the 2nd day for having flat feet, he lied when he joined up and they checked into his medical background and they booted em, probably more for lying then actually having flat feet, that'd be my guess really
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

LOL !! :D

I like that kind of attitude....

mike
  15. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

CRP, you'd be suprised at how effective a crawling style guillie works in the upright position. something to think about. when you crawl with jute and burlap on your bottom side, its easy to pick-up hitch-hikers on your front side. some will clash with the surrounding background and make you stand out more, plus after awhile you wear out the suit cause its not reenfoced with a tuffer material. when you wear a guillie, each step is calculated and well placed. the only time you would run is when you gotta get clear in a hurry, (people chasing you) alot of times you can get far enough ahead to ditch out and blend. then you watch them run right past you. but you have to stay put for awhile, making sure its clear. stop(all movement) look (in all directions without excessive movement) and most important, LISTEN. Your hearing can tell you what, who is around you and where they are alot better than your eyes. eyes are limited to 180 degrees forward, hearing is 360. on your most concealment starts fron the ground up so it is thicker on the ground, therefore easier to to dissappear (and smaller target). sometimes it can be too thick, but thats when you improvise, adapt, overcome. put some canvas on the crawling side, that way you you don't leave a trail od burlap and jute tangled on tree roots and snags along the way. Break up the texture of your canvas or outline with different shapes, colors, etc... etc... get creative;)
  16. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Kaylan, I agree totally, as stated...My point was only that some people simply will not be crawling around on the ground, maybe because they are just not that type, maybe age and handicaps are a factor, or the terrain disallows it, lol, maybe their afraid to be that close to the snakes, but as you say a full ghillie is not designed nor intended for crawling.

Maybe I should start calling my "full ghillie" an "upright ghillie" because while you can go prone, you need to stay there and not crawl to a beter location, it certainally has its limits.

So please understand that I'm not taking away from a properly constructed suit (crawl pads are the proper military standard for a suit) I have in the past, and will continue to use the exact same design in the future that you mention.

~Crp
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  17. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Wow, a lot of great information flowing here. I am certainly learning a few things here. Glad to have you experts around!

I think you need to teach this here fella below about standin out in the open! :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

18. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

CRP, I hear ya, I'm just a few miles south of ya and I know how some people don't like the snakes( skeeres'em) copperheads and rattlers can influence there decision. especially where we're at. Your full guillie is ideal for paintball. really good for the 4 step attack stop, drop, pop, and run. I used mine one time and the paintballs bounced off me(or so I was told) but that was along time ago, they move alittle faster now and leave bigger bruises.

just don't get caught by a tornado when your wearing it. they'd never find ya. even if you was yellin;)

ROFLAO, nice kitty you got there IPT, you train it yourself? what cal. of rifle is that?
  19. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Excellent job on the ghillie. Nice pics and your p'ball story was kewl:cool:
    ISB
  20. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Kaylan1 wrote:
    Thanks, he is attentive most of the time. Sent him to Quantico for true sniper training with Carlos Hathcock in the late 70's. Gun is a miniature Rem 40XB in .050 - 8000 Remington (50 cal no less). Fires a 6 grain Hornady SXT at 8000 fps. Good for 20 yards in a 1 mph cross wind! Notice his attention and steadiness!

Bruhah hah !!!