Would a turret press work ok?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glocknut, Mar 6, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've been looking at Midways catalog. I like the idea of Reddings Turret press....but a neighbor who reloads said he heard that turret presses can "wobble" when its being used? I assume the bearing that the toolhead thing spins on might have some play in it?

Any opinions?

mike
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  2. ACC

ACC New Member

turret press

the LEE turret press is better in my opinion. just my 2 cents
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Re: turret press

LEE ?!!

I thought Lee was bottom of the barrel?

A friend of mine had a Lee progressive loader and it was a horrable contraption.....no two powder charges the same...

That classic press they came out with looks good.....but I'd have to keep changing tools on it....?

I don't know what to buy.......
    I've looked at the midway catalog...and they've got so many darned things in there.....the only thing i know for sure is that I want a digital scale, not one of those balancing weight scales that have to be perfectly level on a table.......

Reloading looks confusing to someone who has never done it before....

mike
  4. bompa

bompa New Member

I have been using a Lyman T mag press for quite a few years and have had no problems at all.. Can't say how many thousands of rounds that have been reloaded on it..Darn good ammo too..
    I like the fact that you can get extra heads and leave dies set up
    for fast caliber change.. No screwing around..
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thats exactly what I'm confused by....

Everyone has a different preference of brands and types...single stage..progressive...turret..

I think I'm just gonna have to buy a cheapie starter kit.....use if for a while...and then figure out what i should have bought once i get a feel for what its actually like to handload ammo.....

mike

Another thing that confuses me is that every reloading manual i've looked at...when i look up 223 rem their data stops at the 64 grain bullet...and i want to load the 69 grain stuff ....

Book suggestions please?
    I would be handloading for an AR....

mike
  7. bompa

bompa New Member

Perhaps you should get a single stage press to start with..It is something that you will use forever even if you decide that something else is what you like for most all of your reloading..
    As for data on a special bullet check with the manufacturer and they will give you the info for that bullet..Same with the powder makers,check the web sites..
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The Lee book goes to 80 gr. The Hornady book goes to 68 gr. Speer goes to 70 gr.....Nosler goes to 60 gr. Need to find the manufactureres data of the bullet you want to use! Hope this helps.
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

you can find the lee anniversary kit for around a hundred bucks on ebay and gb

I was going to get a single stage at first ,but I decided after much reading the progressive wasn’t difficult at all ,probably easier and open to less mistakes ,only thing I paid a heck of a lot more for it ,but it has a lifetime no b.s. warranty
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I like buying brand new...

I've sat arround and thought about this...I think I might go with that Lee classic press..?

Since "Glocked" brass can't be reloaded....at least not for a Glock anyway....i think i'll stick to cheap bulk 1000 rd boxes from the gunshop for it...
    I'll just be handloading for the AR....

I would'nt mind handloading shotgun ammo someday, but I think that is ultra big bucks? Dillons webpage had the progressive loader for arround $800 i think?

Is there such a thing as a single stage press for 12 ga shotgun shells? Can shotgun shells be handloaded for alot less than dillons progressive?

mike
  11. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

you can get them cheap brand new at auction

i looked at a few shotgun reloaders ,but with the price of a box of shells for a shot gun right now they are not cost effective
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You can get a MEC 600 Jr press for less than $100. I have had one for years and have reloaded better than 10,000 shotshells on it!
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How many times can those shot gun shells be reloaded?

mike
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Depends on the hull you use. I used only Winchester AA. Never had a problem. If they were failing, you would see it in the crimp.
  15. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

If you're going to consider a single-stage, look at the ones that can take the 1-1/4x12" dies as well as the standard 7/8x14" dies. That way, you can buy a set of the Hornady Lock'n'Load conversion rings. That way, you set the die up once, then never have to reset it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/858110
  16. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I use two single stage presses set up side by side, and a Redding powder thrower. It's not as fast as a progressive, but I never have to worry about consistancy in my loads.
  17. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I was thinking that might be do-able....

That Lee clasic is cheap enough for sure........

mike
  18. bompa

bompa New Member

In the past forty years I have bought a bunch of stuff that was supposed to make reloading easier,simpler or your ammo more accurate..A good portion of these things only helped to empty my wallet.. As I look through the catalogs today there are more of these things than ever and they are more expensive too..
    I would tell a new reloader to first buy a manual,nothing wrong with the Lyman, Read it till you understand what is what..Find someone that reloads and pick their brain,ask to be shown how they do it.. Then when you are ready to buy your equiptment ask yourself is this item,everything,something that is needed, will I use this item enough to warant the high cost ??