Would apprciate some advice on a new 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Zane71464, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive been looking and looking to buy a NEW Springfield GI 1911 and thinking of going with this one. The Model 1911/GI45 with the GI package, 5' barrel.
    I was wondering if you all could give me any thoughts/pro's/con's on this
    particular Model. All thoughts and any info, good or bad would be appreciated!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

In my honest opinion, this is a great 1911 to start with. I have the Springfield Loaded 1911. I know Springfield makes quality products.

My only con on this gun would be that it does not come with the lowered and flared ejection port that many other 1911s have. If you get it, one thing I would definitely invest in is having Springfield's Custom Shop or a gunsmith lower and flare your ejection port. As you probably know, a lowered and flared ejection port is supposed to help ejection of the spent casings. It's a good reliability modification. Not that the gun won't function without it. It will just function better with a lowered and flared port.

Otherwise it's a great gun.

You could also save a little more money and go with the Springfield Mil-Spec, which is like this gun, but has the slanted slide serrations, the lowered and flared ejection port, stainless steel barrel, Cocobolo grips, and the raised dot sights.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

+1 on the Mil-Spec. Much better sights. Or better yet, the "loaded model with all the upgrades you will have done anyway. Then there's the Kimber Custom Target............. Do you see where this is going ? :)

Buy all the 1911 you can get the first time out. You'll be glad you did.

Check this one out for just a little more $$ that you are planning to spend. "

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

And the review: http://media.stiguns.com/USPress/CombatHandguns/Dec2008/CombatHandgunsDec08_STISpartan.pdf
  4. Zane71464

I was thinking at first thought about the Mil-Spec for the fact of the raised dot sights, and also when I buy one, I don't want to have to do much modifications from the get-go...and as you descibed doing with the lower ejection port which wouldnt be much of a problem, but at the same time, necessary. Good advice and good point hogger.

:) Gotcha on that! I did hear that for sure.
    Absolutely need good sights and would be nice with adjustable sights. I'm just not that "sure" on the Kimber's and the $ amount...as I'm somewhat limited at the time...but, I do have more time!;)
    I appreciate you guy's advice!
  5. Zane71464

Buy all the 1911 you can get the first time out. You'll be glad you did.

Check this one out for just a little more $$ that you are planning to spend. "

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

And the review: http://media.stiguns.com/USPress/CombatHandguns/Dec2008/CombatHandgunsDec08_STISpartan.pdf[/QUOTE]

The STI is nice and not much more (really) on the cost. The parkerized
    finish on them are nice also, but I GOTTA have me a stainless!:eek:
    Ive never owned a Parkerized finished firearm before and all where either
    blued or stainless...I'm rough on firearms when it comes to blueing, not for
    a lack taking (oiling) care of the finish, but my fingerprints seem to be "toxic"
    on blueing!!!:eek:
    EDIT: I literally sweat salt! Anytime someone hands me their firearm to look at, I dont even touch the finish..
    sad, but very true, unless they dont mind getting the oil out after I hand it back to them...*still looking for a good coating oil for mine?*
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  6. Shooter45

The Parkerized finish is tough. Stainless is what it is......stain-less but will still stain and rust.
  7. Zane71464

Alright on the parkerized finish, and gotcha with the stainless, but it's just alot easier for me to deal with when out all day shooting...take and wipe
    it down a bit from time to time, but with regular blueing...you would just have
    to see...:D....how often I'm constantly wiping oil on them.:confused:
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just bought one for my daughter who is a Navy Corpsman for an early CHRISTMAS/BIRTHDAY PRESENT. Stupe caploks! Any how, after cleaning it we went to the range to try it. She racked it back pulled the trigger...no boom. Had to thumb the hammer back 2-3 times before it would fire. Seems like a light fireing pin hit off center. I tried some of her rounds that wouldnt work in her GI in my TRP and they boomed every time. New PMC ammo. Only used 2 boxes of ammo as the range made me buy theirs.:( I sent it back to Springfield and I am sure that it will come back good as gold. Also the barrel ramp looked like it was squeezed together with vicegrips! Fed ok though. First gun out of the box that didnt work. My TRP and new EMP 9 work flawlessly. Love em.
  9. Zane71464

Sorry to hear that about the pistol Clinger! I think I'm leaning more and more towards the Mil-Spec.

""Also the barrel ramp looked like it was squeezed together with vicegrips!""

Wonder what in the world was up with that?
  10. Shooter45

The GI doesn't have the throated barrel or polished feedramp. That's why they are called GI. They are the original design. Honestly, I don't know why anyone buys them as a shooter. Good for 230 roundnose bullets but have feeding problems with hollow point and LSWC ammo. But the design is original , complete with hammer bite. Are you starting to understand why design improvments were made ? :) Small, hard to see sights, non throated barrel, high ejection port ( dented cases after firing),hammer bite...... you get the picture. Thats why I always recommend getting all the improvments in the beginning. :) It saves time and you save money.

The SA Mil-Spec has the changes.
  11. Zane71464

Well, when your springing 5-600 $'s, your right Shooter...might as well go ahead and get the "right" one from the get-go. Paying that much for a new one, $100 or so isnt a great big deal to get a good one, or one a person can be happy with. And I do thank all you guys for your thoughts/advice a I'm new to the 1911's. (but not for long...15min drive) Just gotta think it over.:)
  12. ghrit

ghrit New Member

All true with mine. Faultless with hardball, nothing else will feed. Hardball is what I intended, so that's not a problem (nor is hammer bite, I'm scrawny) but the sights - YCCH. Soon, if not sooner, she gets an adjustable rear of some kind to compensate for the LOW hits. If I get to where reloading makes sense, relieving the ejection port is a non problem.

Have to admit, if I were to do it again, I'd spend a bit more for some upgrades from the basic GI platform.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I would also advise highly on getting the Mil-Spec if you decide you want a Springfield. As Shooter said, it comes with the polished feed ramp and throated barrel where the GI does not. And as previously said, the Mil-Spec also includes the lowered & flared ejection port, stainless barrel and better sights.
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the GI model DOES have a throated barrel. the feed ramp is not polished as good as a custom shop does it, but it aint bad either. at least the one i had was like this. there are 2 problems with having a standard ejection port. the first problem is the casings tend to come back and land on your head. the second is that the slide dings up the brass so it isnt as good for reloading.

the gi model i had malfunctioned 1 or 2 times with ball ammo while i was breaking it in. i put several boxes of hollow points through it without any problems

i didnt mind the sights being small. in fact i kinda liked them because i feel that small sights like that are more conducive to good accuracy. you have a narrower sight blade and opening you have a narrower point for your target to rest on
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

also i didnt have any hammer might with the one i had because it had an A-1 type hammer and grip safety