Would apprciate some advice on a new 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Zane71464, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

John, you are right about the throated barrel. I picked up the wrong one out of my junk box to compare.
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I called Springfield today and the receptionist told methat they are sending a NEW gun. She didnt know what was wrong with the OLD new one. I'll have to wait til I get it back and maybe they will include what was wrong with it. Can't beat their service!
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good to hear! I spent most of Saturday looking over a lot of different 1911's, and alot of different makes/mfg's., and thinking of going with some of Shooter's advice. Just a week or so ago at the gun shop, not alot of 1911's to "look" at. But man, he got "some" in as did the other two shops.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

I will throw my hat in the ring and say that one of the gun shops here stopped selling Springfield auto for a while because of so many send backs. The earlier Kimbers I have found had better triggers than new ones that seem to have more creep. The only STI I am familar with is their very pricey comp gun and it was a slick piece. The biggest disappointment I have found on one hand and very pleased on the other is with the Wilson. My experience with their polomyer KZ 45 is without a doubt the best out of the box 45 autos I have ever laid my hands on. It will shoot anything that will fit in magazine and it is the only 45 auto that I did not have to work on the trigger. Wilson's $4,200.00 Super Grade was the worst out of box trigger I have ever had. 7 pounds and creep + creep. I sent it back and it came back with 4 pounds and still creep. I finaly did it myself and now it is 3 pounds with no creep but it grouped about like a shotgun for me. I traded it to guy who said he thought is was me and he could make it group. He has since thrown in the towel and is trying to sell it.

Ron
  5. OleEd

OleEd New Member

My 2 cents.

From your comment it seems that you have decided on the GI version and wanting a comfimation for you decision. Good 45 but.....

I just finished the search for a 45 within my budget. The GI version was one that I looked at. After visiting many gun shops and I selected the Remington 1911R1. I suggest you check out the Remington .45. After doing my "touchy feely" bit and lots of questions, the gunsmith I go to and the gun store owner where I bought it stated they have a loaded Springfield for their personal weapon but for a buget minded person wanting a better weapon they would select the Remingtom.

There are so many makers of weapons because we have different ideas of "what is best for me". Again, good weapon you are looking at. And I am happy with the Remington.
  6. Zane71464

I appreciate all the advice and keep it coming. I do want one with adjustable rear sights not only side to side, but elevation as well, sort of a "must" for me.
  7. noylj

noylj Member

I like the para version (comes with some great additions for a VERY reasonable amount of money).
    Virtually and 1911 is a great place to start.
    Your exact choice will not be the same as mine (like trying to find two Harleys that are the same), but we'll both have a great gun.
  8. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

The Remington R1 isn't a bad choice. Are you set on a new firearm? If you are willing to go with a used model you should be able to get all the options you want and within your budget. Even if you don't get exactly what you want you might be able to save enough on the purchase to get the modifications on the firearm you want.

I like the idea of the mil-spec Springfield if I was in your shoes. No matter what you choose best of luck to you.
  9. TheGunClinger

Got the new GI yesterday! Going to the range to test it this morning. It looks like they did a polish job on the new barrel. Looks much better than the last one. Cant beat Springfields CS!
    I would have gone to the loaded, but my daughter wanted a military looking gun as she covets my 1943 Ithaca and she aint getting it..yet, thus the GI.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  10. Zane71464

Ive made a promise to myself these days, and that's buy them new. I'm not rich by any means, but I'll save up for as long as I have to to go with new. Ive bought used in the past with hardly no complaints, but I try and make it a habit to go with new so I know exactly what Ive got.
    EDIT: Boy am I a good one to say that...the last two were used! But what I'm trying to say, on something as a 1911, I'd prefer going with a new one. The last two that I bought, 1) isnt made anymore 2) thinking whoever had the rifle, it must have spent the past 30yrs in a gun safe..
    Congrat's on that Clinger...you'll have to give a range report on the trip to the range for sure!:)
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  11. TheGunClinger

Just got back from the range. The GI performed great. Never missed a beat. I am very happy with it and I am sure my daughter will be too. She will be able to trust that when she pulls the trigger it will go Boom every time.
  12. Zane71464

Good to hear Clinger! Ive been looking and looking and seems every time I walk into a shop to look at the 1911's, I get all distracted with 'other's' that they have just gotten in and end up walking out with something I had no intentions of even buying, Ive got to stop that!:eek: However, I'm thinking that the STI Spartin is at the top of my list in the near future, if I can just control myself long enough to pass up "all these deals that keep jumping in front of me" like a magnet... total :eek:
  13. doofous

doofous New Member

Try to strike a balance between features that improve the breed (sights, trigger, feed, ejection port, etc.) and fancy frills that drive the cost up. Just a few dollars separate the cheap copies from quality models, and a few more to get the enhancements. Anything above the $900-1K level is probably overpriced, and the differences in accuracy or reliability irrelevant to all but the most elite shooters.

As always, some brands are overpriced, many are good values, and some aren't worth having. I've had Colt, Sig, Springfield, Taurus, Para and Kimber. The old Colt was the nicest, the Taurus the best value and most accurate out of the box, the Springfield the cheapest and the Kimber the most overpriced. One thing in common..all were reliable and fun to shoot.