Would like to know value of Colt Viper, 2 1/4" barrel 38 special, pachmayer grips

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by beanpole, Jul 22, 2012.

1. beanpole

beanpole New Member

I have a Colt Viper, 38 special with a 2 1/4" barrel and pachmayer? grips. I purchased it from a FFL shop in the early 80's. I do not have the box for it. I have fired approx 40-50 rounds through it. It is in excellent condition. I would like to know what the value of it may be for selling it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • 063.jpg
      063.jpg
      File size:
      241 KB
      Views:
    • 071.jpg
      071.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Beanpole, the only Colt Viper I know of, and the only one a quick Google search turns up, was the lightweight (aluminum frame) version of the Colt Police Positive Fourth Issue. It only came with a 4 inch barrel. I don't think anything else would have been available in the early 1980's, anyway. Are you sure what you have is a Viper?
  3. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Thank you for response. It has the viper marking. What else can you go on?
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Well, there I go displaying my ignorance again. You'll have to wait for one of the more knowledgeable members to come along. Meanwhile, could you put up one or more pictures of it? Condition is a major factor in determining value. Thanks!
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, don't know. 4 references state 4 inch barrel only for the Viper, but I have also learned that when dealing with Colt, never say never. So, two possibilities, one is that it is a scarce unadvertised gun, or 2. and this is the most likely scenario, some one simply cut the barrel and made it a stubby. As already requested pictures would help.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Thanks guys. I will have my wife take some pictures and put them on here. I'm not knowledgeable on how to do a lot on a computer.
  7. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Me again. We have an old digital camera and we are having some difficulty in taking pictures that I think would be adequate. May post them and if they are deemed not good enough then will take it to a local photographer. I want to add that I called the Colt Mfg. archive historian Beverly Haynes and she told me that all she showed was 4" barrel listing. She asked me about the Viper marking location and the Colt Mfg. marking on the opposite side and said it sounded like they were right. It is going to cost me $75 to get the archive letter for it. I measure the gun again and it does measure 2 1/4" from the end of the barrel to the start of the frame.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I believe it says "Viper" right on the barrel so it is not hard to misssss. (viper) any way the only one I have ever had any dealing with was a 4'' barrel.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Putting up pictures will be worth the effort, beanpole. If what you have is "right", it is worth significantly more than an a regular Viper. On the other hand, if it is not, than it will be worth less. Finding out which will be useful to you. Thanks!
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck, plus if Colt states it is a duck, than it is a 4 inch Viper cut down. Not a uncommon thing . All a Colt letter will do is show that it left the factory with a four inch barrel, your 75 dollars will be dosn the drain.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

True, Rjay. But if it's what beanpole says it is and the factory letter verifies it, it will be money well spent. Personally, I think he should wait to spend it until he can put pictures up and get some preliminary opinions, but that's just my $.02.
  12. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Ron James: The historian told me that because my serial # 69073R did not fall into line with a 4,000 manufactured serial number that perhaps it was pulled out of sequence because it was a custom order.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012