Would so appreciate any info. on this Sterlingworth...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by beachgirl, Jun 29, 2011.

1. beachgirl

beachgirl New Member

hi all, i just inherited this double barrel Sterlingworth shotgun about which i know nothing...what i have figured out so far...the numbers on a few different areas on the piece are 89901....the barrel is 28"...on the gun it reads "made by a.h.fox phila.pa U.S.A. hopefully i'll beable to add some pics i took...also, there were some engraved numbers on the wood part of gun-not sure what that's about...if anyone knows rough value...that would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

That's one of the older Phila. Fox pieces. Looks to be in very nice condition. Let's see what some of the guys have to say about RETAIL value.
  3. beachgirl

beachgirl New Member

thanks jim! btw...can u tell what gauge it is?
  4. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Beachgirl,

Your A. H. Fox Gun Company Sterlingworth grade shotgun with serial number 89901 is a 12 gauge and was made around 1915 in Philadelphia, PA. With 28 inch barresl it is probably choked Full choke in the left barrel and Modified choke in the right barrel.

From your pix, it looks like it has 100% case colors on the receiver and most of the blue on the barrels. To me it looks like the receiver has been re-colored and the wood looks refinished.

Fox doubles were some of the finest double barrel shotguns made in USA. They were made in 12, 16 and 20 gauge all the way from the lowest grade - STERLINGWORTH - to very high grades from around 1906 to 1929 in Philadelphia.

Hope this helps.

What do others think?

Jolly
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jolly, how do you know it's a 12?
  6. beachgirl

beachgirl New Member

Thanks so far for all y'alls replies! i discovered a gun shop not to far from where i live so i'm going to take it there now and see what the owner has to say about it...i just want to make sure i'm getting a fair price for it...i'll let y'all know what he says...thanks!
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

beachgirl, don't count on the gun shop giving you a fair estimate of it's value, especially if you're trying to sell it to them.
  8. beachgirl

beachgirl New Member

Your right RunningOnMT, they only offered $500.00 That just seemed low to me so i brought it back home...Jolly Bill, you were right, it is a 12 gauge...he verified the serial # as 89901 and that's pretty much it, he didn't offer any other info. Just asked if i wanted to sell it...can anyone here tell me what a fair price would be? Thanks all!
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

was shotgun re-blued is that why there is that color is distorted or is it just old?
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

sorry i guess Bill said it was re blued
  11. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

The case colors look too strong to be original and overall the gun looks good, but even refinished it should be a bit higher than $500. If you want to get the best out of it find a reputable expert and pay for an appraisal have the chambers and chokes measured and then hold out for a fair price.
  12. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Alpo,

On the older A. H. Fox doubles, the gauge and grade can be determined by the serial number as follows:

SN 1 to about 37,000 would be 12 gauge graded guns: grades A thru F
    SN 50,000 to about 165,000 would be 12 gauge Sterlingworths
    SN 200,000 to about 205,000 would be 20 gauge graded guns: grades A thru F
    SN 250,000 to about 270,000 would be 20 gauge Sterlingworths
    SN 300,000 to about 305,000 would be 16 gauge graded guns: grades A thru F
    SN 350,000 to about 370,000 would be 16 gauge Sterlingworths
    SN 400,000 to about 400,500 would be 12 gauge Single Barrel Trap guns in grades J, K, L and M.

These serial number ranges are approximate but very close.

As you can see, there are serial number ranges that no guns exist. For example, you would not find a 20 gauge A. H. Fox with serial number 245,678. Or a 12 gauge graded gun, A grade with SN 42,345 or a 16 gauge Sterlingworth with SN 389,123. It/they would not exist for a genuine A. H. Fox.

The above serial numbers would be for Fox guns made in Philadelphia by A. H. Fox Gun Co. and in Utica, NY by Savage Arms who bought out Fox in 1929.

Hope this helps.

Jolly
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

So, did they make 16s at the same time as 12s, but just numbered them in a 300000 series, or did they make 12s for a while, then start making 20s at 200000, and then when they got to 300000 stop the 20s and start 16s?

Writing that question down made it seem both awful damn stupid and awful damn obvious. They musta made 'em all at the same time, but numbered 12s in the 100s, 20s in the 200s and 16s in the 300s. Weird, but I can see where it would be helpful for collectors.
  14. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Alpo,

Actually, when Fox first started making the popular and most commonly known A. H. Fox Gun Company double barrel shotguns in Philly in 1906, they were made in 12 gauge only and in grades A, B, C, D and F. (no E grade and no Sterlingworth).

Generally, around 1911, the company introduced the slightly lower grade Sterlingworth and the 16 and 20 gauges.

Ansley H. Fox made side by side doubles before that but are rarely encountered. That would be his first company: Fox Gun Company in Baltimore, Md around 1896 and then the Fox Company in Philadelpia couple years later.

His final endeavor was the more common A. H. Fox Gun Company of Philadelphia. He didn't do too well there either because he went bankrupt in 1911 and sold his company to the Godshalk's of Philly.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the A. H. Fox Gun Company, you should visit the Fox Collectors website: http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/

There you will see pictures of all the grades, history and about everything related to Fox guns.

Jolly
  15. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

If he offered you $500, you can bet the shop owner valued it at twice that amount. An expert would pretty much have to have this gun in hand to tell if and what has been refinished. The stampings are very strong, soI doubt that it was reblued and the sheen of gun oil can make a gun appear to be refinished.