would this work?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dammitman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. dammitman

dammitman Member

i am wanting to have a compensator for a 1911 commander pistol and really cannot find one. i am wondering if one could take a compensator for a 1911 goverment model and have the end milled off to the correct length, same as a commander barrel bushing and then, would it work? of course i am talking about the compensators that are also the barrel bushing. anyone have any insight on this?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would start with my local gun smith. Ask him about this, and get back to us when you have an answer.
  3. dammitman

dammitman Member

that would be great but there is no local gunsmith here, i have to mail off things to be smithed but dont want to mail off a goverment comp if it wouldnt work anyway.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Barrel bushings for Commander and full sized 1911s are the same.
  5. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I've thought of taking a junk (or cheapie) barrel and making a few hacksaw cuts across the top near the muzzle just to try out the effect ---- another rainy day project maybe.:rolleyes:
  6. dammitman

dammitman Member

i didnt think they were or are at all, here are colt parts for sale from midway,
    Colt Barrel Bushing 1911 Government, Colt Gold Cup Steel BlueProduct #: 874093Manufacturer #: SP50145B

Colt Barrel Bushing 1911 Commander Steel Matte BlueProduct #: 810265Manufacturer #: SP51039DB
    they look alot different in total but,,i think that the goverment one could be shortened on the one end and it would work correctly. hasnt anyone ever wondered about this?
  7. Skipper

Skipper Member

I did the exact same thing to my Combat Commander. Works fine.
  8. dammitman

dammitman Member

nice, any other input?
  9. Bill DeShivs

I forgot the Commander bushings are shorter on the inside!
    Yes, you can shorten a GM bushing.

RHMC24- that's not a very good idea.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Gotta trim the bushing. Standard GI will bind the barrel. Only issue is that some comps are so close in diameter to the barrel that people often times forget that the barrel is at a upward angle when the slide opens. This causes the barrel to contact the top of the comp towards the muzzle end of it and depending on the lenght some don't make it at all. Just make sure the comp has a wide enough diameter to clear the barrel. BTW, Im assuming this is for looks?
    And I agree, making just for the hell of it cuts in a barrel to see what works is asking for disaster.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  11. BDH

BDH New Member

Someone here is missing the big picture. How is the comp going to be attached to the pistol? They are usually attached to the bbl either by threading (need a longer bbl) or a cone bushing replacing the bushing all together that's soldered to the bbl. But, cutting a comp down won't necessarily make it efficient. They are designed to work for each application, commander or gov't., carry or competition. There are numerous custom gunsmiths that can do what you want. Save up a bit and get it done right.

[​IMG]

For RHMC24, when you cut the bbl, it will vent the gas prior to the slide moving to the rear and dump the gasses into the slide. There are better ways.

Bruce
  12. Bill DeShivs

The OP was speaking of a bushing compensator, not a "real" compensator.
  13. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Guess I should have provided a sketch. Thinking of a Commander (shorter bbl isn' it?), modify a full length (1911?) bbl and do the slots to the extended portion. To get more serious, one could buy a six inch 1911 bbl to experiment with. Of course none of this looks as 'cool' as the extended bushing type.
  14. Skipper

Skipper Member

It works; the muzzle rise is dampened, but I don't know if it's due to the gas venting or just the added muzzle weight.

Re: the barrel muzzle rise hitting the comp, don't worry about it; the comps mfg takes this into consideration when the part is designed.

Buy a good one.........a cheap part will only waste your money.

I use the Wilson:

[​IMG]

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=683924