1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Would you buy a polymer AR lower receiver?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Nov 22, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

No matter what caused those broken receivers, they are made of metal, which is supposedly so much stronger than polymer!!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Actually george, im fairly sure those pics GH posted are of poly lowers.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

NEVER!!!!!

Those don't look like a forged lower to me.....
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yes, I would. Probably should word it "will," because my next lower will be polymer.

The lower receiver was originally made of aluminum because it takes almost no stress. That role can be done successfully with a variety of plastics. The high stress parts have always been made of steel, and they still are.

Assuming that all polymers are the same is as silly as assuming that all metals are the same. Brass, iron, zinc, steel, aluminum, titanium, and probably many other metals have been used in firearms over the years. They are all different, but they are all acceptable for their own particular roles (though zinc perhaps should never have been used for anything).

There was a time when steel was the new material and people weren't sure it would hold up. [​IMG]
  5. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I tried one and will not make the same mistake twice!
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The only thing the lower does is hold parts.

trigger group
    Pistol Grip
    Stock
    buffer

Where is the stress in this equation? Nowhere, The lower has little anything to do with accuracy or strength. It is basically a parts box.

So if I got a good enough deal on one sure I would buy it.

But, from that add I would be buying that that M1 Carbine in 22lr. Those are SWEET.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'll stick with aluminum.

I know for sure the Carbon-15 in the last picture isn't alloy. BUT...in Bushy's defense the lower didn't fail on that unit, the upper receiver cracked.
    I've seen one Carbon-15 in 5.56 that failed in the same manner. Not sure what use or prior abuse caused the failure...someone at the local range all of a sudden had a floppy AR in his hands. Seeing that really soured me on the whole carbon-polymer AR thing.
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Stress? The buffer tube attaches to the lower. Not to mention the entire buttstock is hanging off of that little hook on the back of the lower.
    The first pic that gunhugger posted shows perfectly where the weak spot is on a plastic lower (regardless of what synthetic it's made from).
    Was that crack caused by the bolt/carrier pounding back against the buffer? Was it caused by someone tripping on the rifle and putting too much strain on the lower? I don't know...and I don't want my rifle to do that.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  9. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

My feeling on the plastic lowers are that they are a cheap way to get an AR that you will be able to replace in the future with a metal lower. Plan on it. If this is all you can afford at the time, go for it. Just plan to replace the lower in the future. The other issue is that some of these poly lowers, most likely this complete one, has all poly parts in it, not just the poly lower.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I figured that I would never know how one holds up until I tried it myself so I bought one to try out. In a few years, or a few weeks, I will know if it is still holding up, or not.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

believe me, I put a lot of stress on the lower receiver!

Alloy is plenty light enough for me and has worked this long, I'm not gonna stray from it.

The carbon 15 is hilarious to pick up at 3.9 lbs but an Aero precision/Mega arms lower is only $140 and less worry.

That being said, I know there are plastics out there that are extremely tough and could do the job but I want metal personally.
  12. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

While I don't own a AR now; I do plan to build one, and I believe that alloy aluminium is durable while being light.

As for polymer lowers:I'm not all familiar with them at all considering I just learned of their existence, but I know I would triple check its reputation. Polymer, can either awesome, or the worst (I prefer metal myself), but I know it will last a very long time even if it's in pieces. (Its a form of plastic, so it will not oxidize or biodegrade well)

I guess I'm saying, make sure it will last with repeated use. Since it's not very expensive (Relatively speaking.) buy it and test it out.
  13. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I'm not against "progress" or finding new and better materials.

But...and there's always a but, I blame the BIC lighter for the way things have become. The BIC lighter mentality.

Make it cheap and people will buy it even if it won't last. The BIC works but it doesn't last long. The Zippo, change the flint and add some lighter fluid and it will last a very long time. The BIC is cheap and soon goes in the trash.

I want my guns to outlast me.

I have read a lot of posts on many forums where it is said these poly receivers are good to go because they have fired 3000 rounds or 300 rounds...whatever the amount so they just know it's just fine.

That proves nothing to me. When the US military starts issuing poly M16's I'll change my mind. The military (hopefully) would test them hard and would determine if they really are good to go. Until then, they are just plastic toys to me.
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Some folks may want an AR for a range gun to shoot a couple of hundred rounds per year from a bench. Nothing fancy, just some range fun. No rough handling or high stress situations involved. For this circumstance a polymer lower may be a cost effective solution to AR ownership and will probably work just fine. It can always be easily replaced if it breaks.

For myself, I prefer a more durable working firearm capable of doing the whole thing as the platform (M-16/M4) was intended. The extra $150 to get that level of performance is well worth it to me. :cool:
  15. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

So far, my lw-15 lower is doing well. As are my buddies- we ordered 24 of them... I plan on replacing it eventually with an aluminum lower and putting a 22lr or 9mm on the lw-15.