The Firearms Forum banner

Would you trade your MN 44 (+ cash) for a Mauser?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Laufer 
#1 · (Edited)
This is just something to contemplate, as I've never had a Mauser, but am impressed by what I read about Czechs and Yugos, other than the sights.

But because of higher 8 mm ammo prices (than 7.62x54R) and the difficulty finding economical 8 mm bullets online, this might be a silly idea.

Other than watching the yellow MN 44 flames, which surplus rifle type do you enjoy more for blasting bricks/jugs etc, or is money the only issue? MN ammo might be available for a while at these very good prices.
Hungary won't be using the Euro until about 2011 (we were told during our trip), Poland, the Czech Republic and Bulgaria maybe later.

Will the murky Euro/British arms control organizations try to stop these countries' ammo exports to us?
They have stopped this in some other countries by paying them to destroy not only vast numbers of surplus semi-auto and bolt-action rifles, but also huge heaps of ammo. South Africa is the latest.

#4 ·
Eh, Id prolly take the mauser if i didnt have to fork over more than 50 bucks with the m44. I never really liked the m44s but do absolutely love mausers. but thats just me;)

#5 ·
Nope, I would just buy the Mauser and keep the M44.

But that's me.
No gandog, it's not just you. I'm with you on this one. Besides, Mausers aren't really that expensive. Got my Persian Mauser for under $100.00. As with any used gun though you just have to check it very carefully.
Love my MN-44. Wouldn't trade it (well maybe I would), but it would have to be a very, very good trade.

#7 ·
I would take MN44 and chuck into the closest river. Them mausers are by far the better rifle. They seem to be more refined. I would trade in a heart beat and never look back. 8mm Ammo is a bit on the expesive side but that is just a technicallity. Every thing is expensive now days.

#9 · (Edited)
Although a Mauser won't begin to cure my Lee-Enfield virus or quite cure the MN bug, only began to notice Mausers at the gun show one week ago.

How about affordable food?
Despite making a brief Internet search, there seem to be no lower-priced 8mm bullets for reloading.
I might not have seen any such bullets, except for .25 bullets at Midway.

What is the outlook for more imports of surplus Rom. or Yugo 8mm ammo, as long as the Brit/Euro arms control (destruction) assoc., and the UN/Feinstein Axis can't get them to stop exports to us? :confused: They stopped Greek exports of surplus .303 to us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.