WRA-WINDER MUSKET-22 SHORT

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by equineconn, Apr 27, 2012.

1. equineconn

equineconn New Member

Single shot, lever action with the S/N 128663 with "A" under the trigger guard behind the S/N. "22 Short" appears on the barrel next to the receiver. Also has "Winchester Repeating Arms Co., New Haven, CT, Pat. October 7, 1879.

Has peep site with windage/elevation adjustment. It appears the sight has a patent date of July 1804 if I am seeing it correctly.

Also has "US" stamped behind hammer with the flaming ordinance bomb.

Gun in good condition (stock good+); however, the block drops a very little bit when fired which results in the firing pin striking a tad too low -- other than that, in operational condition to the best of my knowledge -- one small screw missing on plate. I've had since childhood (68). Obviously, needs new blueing. Walnut wood stock in good condition and has never been modified. A natural, hand-rubbed appearance, although it has a bit of a shiny appearance in some of the photos. Barrel length - 28". Overall length - 44". Round/plain barrel.

We recall this was a military training rifle. Need to get a good idea of value as we have someone who is interested in seeing this piece soon.

Have posted some pix -- sorry some could not be better. Only have "Smart Phone" to take photos with right now.

If you need more pix, let me know. Have a .pdf file showing more views. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Winder musket is a very desireable collector's piece, but that one looks to be in pretty poor condition, at least on the outside. You don't say what the bore is like, but corrosive primers and failure to clean often took their toll on old .22's. The block falling down indicates wear in the link mechanism and I know of no source of parts, though they can be made. The US marking does add some value.

I would take a WAG on value of that gun at around $500, but will be interested in seeing what others may say. (Those guns were usually shot a lot and show it to the extent that the Blue Book doesn't even show values for 98 and 100 percent guns; in only slightly lesser condition they can bring $1800 or more.)

You might check the various gun auction sites and see what they sell for (not what is asked); that is not a sure way of seeing what any individual gun will bring, but it can serve as a guide.

Jim
  3. equineconn

equineconn New Member

Thanks for your input, Jim. Actually, this piece is not in poor condition (the photos lack a lot though...). What is on the steel barrel is superficial and it does not appear to be pitted. We looked at the bore this morning, and even to our surprise, it is in excellent condition -- looks just the opposite -- that it has not been shot very often, if at all.

Anyone else out there with some constructive thought about this Winder. Thanks very much. :)
  4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Your Model 87 Winder Musket was manufactured in the latter part of the year 1918. The Lyman No. 53 receiver peep sight has the patent date "JULY 16 '07" marked on it.

Based on what I can see of it in the pictures you posted, it is in poor condition. The stocks appear to be refinished with varnish (they were originally oil finished), the receiver frame has considerable bluing loss on the one side shown, and one of the (4) 6-48 screws is missing from the sight.

Better quality pictures might convince me that the condition is better than it appears, but at this point, it is worth no more that $600.

I wrote an article about the Winchestet Single Shot Winder Muskets a few years that was published in the "Winchester Collector" magazine - http://www.winchestercollector.org/magazine.shtml

Bert H.
  5. equineconn

equineconn New Member

Thanks for your input. Actually, the stock has never been varnished -- it is an oil finish, and yes there is 1 small screw missing from the sight. We've cleaned it up a bit and hope to have better photos that I'll try to post later. The barrel has about 10-15% bluing and there is no pitting - possibly on the butt end a little, which is understandable. The wood is in very good condition. That said, I think we have enough information and we've gotten other expert feedback, as well, and know what they are selling for. If I can get to it later, I'll post new photos. Thanks for everyone's input.