Writer Looking For Info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjanssens, Jun 22, 2004.

1. sjanssens

sjanssens New Member

I'm looking for links and technical information on firearms. Normally I wouldn't resort to a message board for this but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to firearms. It's hard to look up details for guns that you don't know exist.

The main character of this story is a modern day incarnation of Cupid who uses firearms instead of arrows. Naturally, he employs a wide variety of firearms in different situations. I'm looking for info on submachine guns and rates of fire, as well as information on handguns and sniper rifles. Hopefully this information will include notes on what use each gun was designed or is particularly suited/unsuited for. This story isn't about the guns. I'm mainly trying to avoid writing something that causes someone to say that gun can't do that, or that's a really bad choice of firearm for what he's using it for.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Sjanssens. Do the bullets from your modern-day Cupid's guns cause the same effect as Cupid's arrows did in the original version?
  3. sjanssens

sjanssens New Member

Yes. In the myths Cupid used golden arrows to inspire love and lead arrows to impede it. It's the same Cupid, he's just kept up with the times.
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Well, I'd imagine that if this modern-day Cupid lit up with, say, a Maremont M60 that would be a whooooooolllllle lot of lovin'!
  5. sjanssens

sjanssens New Member

oh, and in the story he's a young man as in the original version of the myths, not the Hallmark style cherub which came later.
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D LOL! @ cgs! :D
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I couldn't see why Cupid would possibly need a submachine gun. :confused:
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Just think of all the love he could dish out with a MG-42!!!!! LMAO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

By the way, welcome sjannsens!
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to THE Forum, sjanssens.

Well, he is going to need a small, easily concealed piece for everyday wander-about-town use. Two magazines, of course. One loaded with gold and one with lead. (What would copper bullets do? Create "Tarnished Love?" :D)

He will need a good long-range sniper rifle, for those times when he needs to reach out and touch someone from a distance.

Then he will need a REALLY big-bore, for those tough cases, where someone just REFUSES to recognise love.

If he were to ever use a machine gun, he will bring back the Sixties. Let's all hear it for free love!

Pops
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

sjanssens,

There are too many to list, so.........

One place you might want to start looking for technical info is, on the manufacturers web sites. A couple of places to look and see what is available is the “GunBroker” and “Auction Arms” gun auction sites. Just type “sniper” or “machine gun” or whatever, into their search engine. This should at least get you started. Or a Google search for same.

You are right, it will give your story MUCH more credence if you know what you are talking about, when you mention a certain firearm. There are quite a few here that love to pick apart movies for guns doing things that we KNOW they can not do. Kudos to you for wanting to do the research.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Pickenup wrote:
    Y'all mean to tell me that I can't light my cigar offn that propane powered Quad 50 that doesn't have a link belt and never runs outa ammo? Boy, what a let down......... :D :D :D :D :D :D
  12. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Cupid would use Olympic Competition firearms..
    Cupid would use special barrels that impart fantastic rates of spin upon the "love bullet (or projectile; or how about "love pill")

This pill would vaporive upon hitting the target; indeed, it is spinning so fast, it just barely can hold itself together. Love holds it together.

Read about the Sig 210; it's accuracy is legendary.
    It sold for about $1200, was discontinued, and is now nearly double.

Read "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross for some excellent backround info into the "gun culture". You can skim the "soap opera - sex" parts, but the gun info is excellent.

Email me for any links you want.
  13. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Buddy up with "varmint" hunters who can take out a squirrel at 1000 yards (that's over half a mile!) and start picking their brains, hang around them, pick up the lingo and get an intimate idea of what they are shooting, and all the factors going through their minds when preparing and executing such long shots.

You may have to do a bit of traveling, buy some ammo (and beer, and steaks :D ).

Three months, and you'll have most of the info you need.
  14. Nole

Nole New Member

what if cupid missed his target then that would mess up the whole continum. Man think of the reprocussions.(SP?)
  15. sjanssens

sjanssens New Member

Thanks for the responses.

1952sniper: I've written the scene that was to use the machine gun, and you're right it was gratuitous. That scene has been changed.

Pops: Good idea about the two magazines. I don't know if I would have thought of that. That's precisely the type of thing I'm looking for: details that are obvious to one familiar with guns but not a detail that's likely to come up in research.

pickenup: I went to those auction sites and they did give me a much better idea of what's out there. And while it does allow me to look up some information I'm afraid what I need is much more basic.

What would really help is a beginner's guide to firearms that covers amazingly basic things. such as:

I know what a revolver is, but is there a term for a handgun that uses magazines? Are there any tradeoffs between the two in things such as accuracy or range? Does wind and/or rain have much affect on a bullet at handgun ranges?

Is there a general range limit for a handgun? Obviously the range will differ by model, but is there a safe range that won't raise any eyebrows? I don't plan on having much long range use of a handgun, but I've written a scene where the range is about 50 yards (angled downwards). The story acknowledges that it's far, but doable. Is this ok or should it be increased or decreased?

This is the extent of my ignorance: It's my understanding that a revolver turns and then fires so that a revolver with only one round that's placed in line with the barrel will not fire as the round will be moved out of position. Is this, in fact, correct? A handgun that takes magazines (I really hope there's a term for that) stores a round in the chamber. Is that round loaded specially (say from the top or somehting) or is the magazine filled and inserted (is there a term for that?), the gun cocked, then the magazine removed and a new bullet added? How is the round in the chamber removed? (I'm assuming from the top).

Obviously in this story stopping power isn't an issue, how would that affect the choice of caliber? How does the caliber of a bullet affect its accuracy and range for a handgun.

None of the ranges in the story are likely to exceed one or two hundred yards. At that range is there much difference between choice rifle or sniper rifle? If so, what are the considerations knowing that stopping power is not a factor? Is there a range that someone would roll their eyes because it was too short for a rifle/sniper rifle?

And, of course, in all these things I'm looking for _practical_ values. I'm not sure how much stock I should put into the values I find on manufacture sites and other web sites. Are the numbers likely to be possible only under certain conditions or usable for real world conditions?

How badly did I mangle the terminology?

I don't expect anyone here to answer all these questions for me (although it would be nice :). Before I write the second draft, I'll probably stop in a gun shop to verify things. I just feel bad about taking up their time so the more I know before hand, the better.

Cheers and thanks.