Wrong primer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RichAK, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RichAK

RichAK New Member

I accidently primed about 50 shells with small pistol magnum primers rather than small pistol primers (40 cal and 9mm). I figure I should not shoot these but need to know if I can use my sizer/deprimer die to safely remove the primer and resize.
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If the load was not a hot load, I would probably shoot them and not worry about it too much. If it was max or real close to max it MIGHT not be safe. I would not deprime live primers. I would either throw away the brass, since pistol brass is a dime a dozen anyway, or discharge all the primers.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Dont throw them out!!!! Load them to a minimum charge and you will be just fine. I have loaded over 2k 9mm and .40 with the magnums without issue, as long as you reduce your charge by 10% from your listed data you will be just fine.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Do not through them out, load em and shoot em. Just start low and work up.
    BTW what Mag primers. Some brands use identical compounds for standard vs Mag, the mag has a thicker cup is all.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Rich, yes. You can safely deprime them with your sizer/decapper die. Just do it slowly. Reloaders have been depriming live primers for years.

But if you're really afraid of doing that (and apparently the idea freaks a lot of people) just load 'em in your gun and pop 'em. Price of primers nowadays, what is that - buck and a half, two bucks?
  6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Load and shoot them if you aren't loading near max. If you are building hot loads, simply deprime on your press. I would suggest throwing a towel over your press when you deprime and wear safety glasses. I've never had a problem removing live primers.
  7. RichAK

RichAK New Member

Thanks alot everyone, I appreciate the advice. I'll load them well below max and shoot them. I've since separated my primers and put up nice large signs identifying each type so I won't make that mistake again.

Steve4102 - They were CCI 550 small pistol primers
  8. 243winxb

243winxb New Member