WTH ! Jury duty letter again ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Nov 21, 2011.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I was called for federal once, the day after I moved out of the district.

I was called once here. When the defense heard I was a school bus driver who had seen two of his kids die from illegal drugs, he dismissed me. Wonder why? It surely wouldn't be because his client was caught at an elementary school with packets of drugs for sale. Hmmmmm?

FirstInLine was called 4 times in 18 months, until we asked if they were more interested in following the law or talking to the judge during their trial.

Pops
  2. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I never get called, since working at a prison would "taint" my view of criminals. Lucky me!
  3. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

been called a bunch of times but being a emergency on call always got me outta it. now im excusedfor medical reasons
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

With me, you can only get call once every two years with the State. Federal, at the most, it seems, once a year.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I was exempt because of my profession until a few years ago when the law was changed. Since then I am exempt because of age and health, I have, however, had to testify in four court cases as a witness
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    As to everyone needs to serve on a jury to see how our judicial system works to me is something I say is not so. This is my first time on the grand jury and from what I have seen all the grand jury is is to indict some one on more serious charges so the county attornies can get them to plead down to a lesser ccharge easier. It is a farce IMHO. Just like today, we had one who was $20k behind on child support so we indicted him on a flony charge of non support BUT also on a charge of persistant felony offender (it is like many states 3 strikes and out deal) but the Commenwealth attorney stated that the PF charge was just to get the person to plead down and pay his arrears. IF they plead down he said they always drop the PF charge! Our judicial system is in serious trouble IMHO. Anymore you are guilty till YOU prove your self innocent!!!! All it is is a racket to get attorney;s more clients and more money IMO. Also in a gran djury it only takes 9 of 12 to vote to indict and the testimony can be hear-say or what ever they can think up to sway the jury to indict with the one being indicted NOT being allowed to testify. We had a LEO testify today that was as clueless as they come yet the indictment was made just on what little evidence the LEO told us he had.

Seriously, our justice system is very flawe and broke these days. Our founding fathers are spinning like tops in their graves.
  7. geds

geds New Member

I've only been called once to serve; my wife has several times - go figure....?

In my case, I worked for the local power company and figured I would be struck, but was selected as the only male in a rape case. We were seated in the jury room for a couple of hours and then were dismissed as the accused copped a plea once he saw the makeup of the jury.

I think I would've gone stir crazy if I had to sit on those hard benches all week waiting for another jury to be selected!
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I got called, got it all arranged to miss school I really wanted to do it. Was toying with the idea of studying law (mostly because everyone said I should). I went for two weeks, literally was there about six hours a day, we got called in once and I got dismissed after the first question when they asked me why I would go to a bar or club.

I said to get drunk. Not sure how that was the wrong answer, it was a case involving a peeping tom, the lawyer asked me if maybe I'd go to look at girls and I was like "uhhhh I guess?"

I knew it would not last anyway, my dad is a cop chances of me ever serving on a jury are about nil.

The money was really a crap deal because after two weeks of playing tetris on my phone for six hours a day it was shot and I needed a new one :rolleyes:.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Just got the letter again myself. For December I think it said.

Get called about every two years. Got out of most of'em cuz of the job.
    Retired for medical reasons now and I could probably get the doc to give me an out, but I figure I'd be a shmuck to weasle out for no legit reason.
    I just dread the thought of sittin down at the court house all day wait for somthing to happen, which usually never does.