WW 11 movies

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by notabiker, Feb 28, 2008.

1. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    Remember "Guadalcanal Diary" ?
  2. nightfighter

nightfighter New Member

A few suggestions of must-see movies I have enjoyed in the war genera: A very good mini-series filmed in Briton, "A Piece of Cake; The Story of the Hornet Squadron". The flying scenes are exciting.
    A top-shelf move albeit set during WWI, is "The Light Horsemen". It is very well done, but you have to be smart enough to understand why they used the Light horsemen instead of Cavalry to charge Bathsheba.
    Another excellent war movie; "Breaker Morant", is set during the Boer War.
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    A few other must see war movies…

The Siege of Firebase Gloria – Set in Viet Nam during the Tet Offensive with R.Lee Ermey as a Marine Corps Sergeant Major (a stretch I know); not a movie for the ages, but there are some great lines and it was really made as a tribute to the grunts as R. Lee put it.

The Sea Wolves – Based on an actual covert operation run out of India during WWII and carried out by retired British cavalrymen; this is what a unit of grumpy old codgers are capable of. It has Gregory Peck, David Niven, Roger Moore and several others you'll know.

The Wild Geese – Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore lead a unit of mercenaries into Africa to rescue a deposed president; of course things don't go according to plan. This is one of my all time favorites.

Kelly's Heroes – A bunch of American misfit soldiers stage their own offensive into German territory to get rich. Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalis, Don Rickles, Donald Sutherlin, Carrol O'Connor, etc., etc. (Hope I got all of the names spelled right.) With that cast how can you go wrong?
  4. notabiker

notabiker New Member

go tell the spartins about nam in about 1962. a american adviser was with his arvin unit. they are cut off and he can take a chopper and get out and leave his men behind to die or stay with them.i can not rember the actors name but hi is famous.
  5. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

6. notabiker

notabiker New Member

just started reading a book i bought 20 years ago. this is my second read. it is about a fighter pilot in china [col scott.] the name is god is my co pilot. as a kid i rember a movie with spencer tracy called god is my co pilot. i think the book is out of print [1943] is the movie still out their. i would love to see it as a adult.[ sort of :eek:]
  7. 44spl

44spl New Member

Band of brothers was a very good series also. Took them all the way from d-day to VE day
  8. thunder45

thunder45 New Member

If you can't find it at your local video shop, Check NET FLIX
  9. theoldgringo

theoldgringo New Member

The nature of the brutality of war and the way it is realistically depicted in today's movies will cause some films to automatically be listed , in the eyes of some, as anti war. Truth is there is nothing good about war, about having to fight a war, or typically about the results of war.
    Having said that I'm going to add my $.02.
    War movies take on two different facades: realistic/serious and not as realistic/entertaining. Some manage to cover both, an example being The Great Escape, an exemplary film that I don't remember seeing mentioned in the thread and Stalag 17. WWII from a different perspective can be seen with The Holocaust, another TV mini-series (I think from the 70's) and The Execution of Pvt. Slovak (also a TV offering from the 70's).
    Best Hollywood war movie: Platoon, but it was about Viet Nam, as was Full metal Jacket The Deer Hunter and others.
    Best WWII movie/series (and best over-all): Band of Brothers, even better because it is a true story. Close second: Saving Private Ryan.
    The three films that were instrumental in getting me into the Corps were Sands of Iwo Jima (which I had seen at least ten times before I was 10 years old [in 1951]) and Battle Cry, with Van Heflin and Aldo Rey. But I said three. The third was a peacetime effort called The D.I. with Jack Webb. Nothing like the boot camp of FMJ, but as close as Hollywood could make it in the fifties.
    You can see my tastes have changed , but there simply weren't that many truly "realistic" war movies being made immediately post WWII.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  10. notabiker

notabiker New Member

i just saw a show on the history channel called enterprise 360. i liked it and it is the last of a series. what series. i never saw a promo for other showes in this series. did i miss somthing
  11. I saw all the episodes, biker, and they were all extremely well done. The series followed the career of the U.S.S. Enterprise throughout WWII. It was sponsored by Enterprise Rent-a-car, whose founder served on the Enterprise during WWII. I expect it will be reshown this summer, so keep an eye on the listings.
  12. notabiker

notabiker New Member

thank you pistol shooter, i am a history and military channel junkie. how i missed that series i do not know. with dish their are so many choices. it is sad that they could not save such a important ship. at least a lot of battleships were saved. i sill want to go see one someday. thanks agine.:D