1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

WW II era fighting knife and machete

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Ken W, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ken W

Ken W Member

I'm curious to the possible monetary value both of these might hold. I have absolutely no intention of ever selling them, just would be nice having that info to sort of "complete the picture" so to say.
    I've had them both for several years. The knife I discovered while riding in the backseat of my parents car, on a shopping trip, back in the 70's. It was laying in the middle of the road. I recall excitedly exclaiming that "there's a knife in the road" so we pulled over and dad got out and retrieved it. Unfortunately he didn't ever see much value in it other than a tool to remove grass clipping underneath the mower. Perhaps being a WW II vet he didn't see it as anything special other than a typical blade. I'm assuming that it is WW II vintage, since it has that appearance but unfortunately isn't dated. As seen in the pictures it has black leather forming the grip and is marked on the hilt "Camillus, NY" and "U.S.M.C.". I'm aware that K-Bar fighting knives still retained the use of leather grips long after they were abandoned on bayonets such as the M4. If anyone could give me a bit more info on it, especially concerning a possible date of manufacture I'd appreciate it.
    The machete I bought at a yard sale the better part of 20 years ago. It came with the sheath seen in the pics below. The handle is made of a hard Bakelite or other plastic type substance. The blade is marked U.S. with a crown and arm holding a hammer image and Legitmus Collins & Co, 1944. The canvas sheath has a red triangle with the number 37 inside it on one side and U.S.M.C, something indecipherable under that and 1943 under that. Does anyone have an idea what that middle line is and what the red triangle/37 signifies? I'm assuming the latter is the particular company the soldier was attached to that owed this previously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i dunno , but will watch with interest, i've a couple K-Bar's i like em ..
  3. Ken W

Ken W Member

What do the one's you have look like, Jack?
  4. stede

stede Member

Ken, the KaBar has no collector value given the overall condition and the blade being ground back like that. Huge numbers were made and they are valuable only in mint condition or provenanced to particular individuals.
    The machete is nice- use oil and 000 steel wool to gently remove the rust. With scabbard it's worth $125 or so the right collector given my understanding of the current market.
  5. Ken W

Ken W Member

Thanks for the info, stede. It's a shame about the knife. I really can't recall how beat up it was when it was originally found. My dad certainly didn't help the situation much. Oh well, at least he kept it around. I'm shocked at the value of the machete. Nice. That makes it more of a prize in my collection now. :D I will definitely clean it up a bit. You happen to be familiar with them enough to know what the middle line on the scabbard is?
  6. stede

stede Member

Ken, I don't but I would bet it's the manufacturer's name. SUPERIOR CO. INC.? The Divisional marking on the scabbard boosts the value to a collector, google 37 marines and see what it gets you in terms of historical provenance.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

finally got it off my belt so you can see ..

Attached Files:

8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and somehow when i trimmed the pic down i got it reversed .. sheeesh , SLAP!
  9. stede

stede Member

Nice classic blade! Now bloody well clean that rust off Jack!!! 8^)
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

shoulda seen how i got it , its brilliant compared without ruining it , its a great tool ..

i've had it 30 some years $12 i think ...
  11. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

heres my WWII M-3 and mk2 KABAR knives [ my mk1 knfe seems to have illuded the camera ]

[​IMG]

and the KABAR is next to my M-3 knife here , mixed in with what i really collect bayonets ,

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  12. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Funny story--on the way to visit a WWII Navy vet on his birthday a couple of years ago, I picked up a Camillus Mk2 w/sheath for $22 at an antique store--the leather sheath was marked U.S.N. When I walked into his house, I held it up and said, "Lonnie, I bet you haven't seen one of these in a while." He replied, "That's a Mk2, I don't like them; the blade is too long. I had a Mk1 with a short blade--it's over in that junk drawer somewhere." I ended up keeping the damn thing and now have a collection of a half dozen or so.

It is called a "fighting knife" and they were made by several companies. It is WWII vintage--if that is a 7" blade, I believe it is a MK 2. You can pick up a vintage sheath for it on eBay.
  13. KWM

KWM Member

Here's the one I carried in the Corp, years ago. Lost the sheath when moving.

It has KA-Bar stamped on one side of the blade. USMC on the other. Seven inch blade.

Attached Files: