WW2 German PPK Opinions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by PPK, Jun 10, 2012.

1. PPK

PPK New Member

Hi there,
    Im thinking about buying this ww2 ppk, and I just wanted to find out what others thought? And perhaps also the value? Many thanks,
    Patrick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Looks like a commercial gun, made around 1941.
    Also has British proof marks.
    Finger extension mag is a plus.
    Cracked grip is a minus.
    I would guess around $750 retail
  3. mixologist

mixologist New Member

I have been watching war time PPK's on one of the auction sites and ones in this condition are selling for approx $1000-$1200. You have a nice peice.
  4. PPK

PPK New Member

Thanks to both of you. Yes I believe it is a nice one! Can I ask what are the traces of red seen in the grips? Also, that is the only crack in the grips (seen in the last pic), are cracks common in the ppk grips? Thanks
  5. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

The traces of red in the grips were incorporated into the plastic when it was liquid during the ejection molding process in pre -1945 PPKs. Probably for cosmetic/artistic reasons. There are other colors mixed in as well(black, orange, yellow) with varying degrees of appearance in different grips - depending on how the colors mixed in the process.
    Hence the name: "mottled brown" grips.
    The post-war brown PPK grips were of uniform color.
    The cracks in the pre-1945 grips were very common - 9 out of 10 have a crack in them.
  6. PPK

PPK New Member

Hi, thanks! Also, is that a chip in the grips above the walther banner on the close up picture near the safety? The reason I ask, is I have seen at least two other ww2 ppk's woht that same 'chip' in the same place? Many thanks
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I think that you may find that the left side grip "chip" that you refer to is actually a cut out to clear the end of the safety lever when applied. Try it and see.

You ask for opinions as to pistol's value. Ultimately, anything is really worth what a knowledgeable buyer is willing to pay for it, without being under any pressure to buy; when the seller is under no pressure to sell.

To expand on the above, I own a few nice things, of various descriptions, that I really do not use, but really do not want to sell at this time. At the moment, I really do not need any extra money over what I have in my checking account. Therefore, a would be buyer will have to be willing to pay me a "well over top dollar price" to get me interested in selling one of my nice items. On the other hand, I sometimes encounter persons who are short of cash and have a pressing need to obtain some; and need to sell something like the pistol that you pictured to do so. I am really not interested in owning such a pistol; but I would pay $300 for it, and probably promptly resell it for a quick profit to go buy myself, and a lady, a good meal and bottle of wine, with.

Fifty years ago this pistol pictured would have sold for about $30.00. A almost like new condition (strictly NRA "Excellent") Luger or P-38 would only bring about $50.00 then. Corrected for inflation, at 8X, you are looking at $240.00 and $400.00, today; which is obviously not reality, today.

On the other hand I have just left one of the big Internet gun auctions; and significantly better appearing WW II and before PPK's, in 7.65 mm, are being listed at $800.00 and getting zero bids.

If you just want a pre 1945 PPK in .32 ACP, you can likely resell it promptly for around $400 to $600.

Hope this is informative.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The clearance area for the safety in the left grip is normal, but that grip does have a chip out of it, and that does reduce the value somewhat. As noted, a crack at the top rear of a pre-war and wartime PPK grip is very common; I think intact grips are the probably the exception.

Jim