The Firearms Forum banner

WW2 JAPANESE ISSUE TYPE I RIFLE

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MSLEUEN 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to get a bit of information on this WW2 rifle. I was told that it is a Japanese issue Type I 6.5mm rifle ordered prior to WW2 by the Japanese Navy. I believe these rifles were made by various Italian gun makers such as Beretta etc. They are designed very much like the Arisaka Type 38. The markings on this rifle are limited. It contains a 4 digit serial number and the letters PB with a crown under the bolt handle. The numbers 3 and 2 are stamped on the tang. That's about it. I'm hoping someone is familiar with this weapon and can give me more information. I look forward to your responses.
Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The Japanese Carcano. There was a lot of internalional politics involved with the Japanese Carcano rifle, which I am not about to go into. The politics involved Japan, Germany and Italy. The rifle was supposedly ordered and made for the Japanese Navy in the 1930's and some may have even been used by the Japanese Naval landing parties ( their version of the Marines ). Most of these rifes seem never to have been issued or used. Because they were " foreign rifles" they were shunned and placed in ware houses. After the war they were sold to surplus dealers and hence made their way to the U.S. Carcano Action, box magazine the only markings you will find are PB ( Pietro Beretta ). They are said to be more accurate that the Arisaka's. The numbers made are really unknown, anywhere from 10 to 60 thousand. Since they were never marked with the mum there was none to grind off. It is possible to find these rifles in almost new condition and I have seen them listed on a few sites at 250 to 300 dollars.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for your information. I picked this rifle up from a local collector that didn't know too much about it. He did know that it was made in Italy for Japan, but not much more than that. I really didn't see much offered on the Internet. I appreciate your most informative response.
Mike

#5 · (Edited)
Jim K. is very knowledgeable on the history of these rifles, perhaps he will post more information. Me, I'm not that enthusiastic at typing. Typing was just one of the classes I took in high school just to set next to a certain girl I liked, needless to say I gave her more attention than I did the class.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.