1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

WWB Brass?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gahunter12, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

Quick question. Have any of you experts every seen Winchester Brass (WWB) 40s&w with Crimped primer pockets? I seen on another site where some one said they have crimped pockets. Nearly all my 40 s&w brass is Win Brass. The post was referring to having problems priming 40s&w Win Brass on a RL550b. I too have had a problem on a few cases. It seems to me my problem could be corrected by rotating the case about 1/4 turn then it would go in with ease. This is the first that I have heard of Win 40 s&w brass being crimped
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What is the headstamp on the cases and can you post some pics? I wouldn't think that 40's would have crimped pockets. I've found instances/reports of 9mm WWB with NATO headstamps and pocket crimps.

I think if you're having to rotate the case, that you have a minor adjustment needed on your priming set-up. A crimped pocket will not get better with a 1/4 turn most likely.
  3. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

I will post a pic when I get home from work. My brass all have the Wincester head stamp with Wincester and 40s&w. I would think that I would not be able to set a primer if it had a crimped pocket. I agree with you about the adjustment. It seems like some of my cases have some slight movement in the shell plate while others are tight. I have problems with the looser cases. This just caught me off guard seeing some one say the Win brass was crimped.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Makes no sense, to me. Only reason I've ever heard of for crimped primers was "military" on ammo "used for full auto fire". I know of no military in the world that uses 40 slow and weak in machine guns. Some cops, in sub guns, but no military.
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I'm no expert but I have been reloading for several decades, and my answer your question is no. Sounds like some equipment adjustment is needed, the case isn't fully in the shell holder or, I suppose, there could be a quality issue and the primer pockets a just a bit off center.