WWI COLT 45 REVOLVER W/HOLSTER VALUE

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CHUCKEYCITY13, Apr 3, 2009.

1. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

Here is what I think is a nice MODEL 1917 WWI COLT 45 REVOLVER with original US holster. The item came from the son of the man who carried it in WWI he was a Capt and later an officer in WWII first with the OSS and then SHAEF on IKE'S staff he was a Col if you GOOGLE his name its quite impressive FRANCIS PICKENS MILLER.The Colt is what my question was about It looks to have been fired very little super tight no rust and looks to me to be over 95% blueThe item is marked COLT D.A. 45 COLT on one side and on top of the barrel COLT'S PT FA MFG HARTFORD CONN USA PAT'D AUG 5 1884 JUNE 5 1900 APR 9 01 JULY 4 06 THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL IS MARKED "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" The bottom of the grip is marked US ARMY MODEL 1917 NO 67999 Their is other numbers not sure what you call the area where there marked its where the cylinder opens the are 223845. I also got a letter from the son giving a brief history on the revolver. Does anyone out there have a good idea of what the value of the Colt and holster would be and does the history help it any I paid 750.00 for it.

Attached Files:

2. Danny

Danny Member

:) You did very well for yourself, in fact you stold this very nice weapon. With the history & holster would fetch 1500 or more. I like the Colts and S&Ws that were made for that war but hated the moon clip thing. Make sure the cylinder has not been bored out to accept the Colt 45 long, as it will hurt the collector value. You made a fine purchase indeed.
    Regards
    Danny:)
  3. johnboat

johnboat New Member

ya im w/danny good deal it fires a 45 acp round wich it was chambered orig. for do u have a whole bunch of the moon clips ? it is not really functional without them i was at an auction about ten years ago and saw a pair of thes w/only maybe 50%finish bring about 350-400 each looks like yours is in maybe more of a collector condition but u should get the moon clips and lots of ammo and learn to shoot it well them detail clean it and keep it clean and protected
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You might want to consider removing the varnish from the grips. Original grips were plain unvarnished wood.
  5. johnboat

johnboat New Member

wonder is correct
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

To me your pistol looks to be in just as good as the pistol in the link below.

I'm guessing that their price is high, BUT your pistol has the holster and you also have provenance.

This site has a few 1917's for sale. The one in the link seens to be the closest to the condition of yours.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=22266

Art
  7. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

Thanks all for the information as for the grips I am not touching them I have NO SKILL and would just make a mess of things if and when I sale it I will leave that to the new owner
  8. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well I think you got robbed but if you need your money back I might be persuaded........
  9. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

Thanks for the offer but I guess I will keep it as a hard lesson learned
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Makes me even sadder that mine was stolen.

Remember that the .45 AutoRim cartridge was designed for that pistol. That way you don't have to use the moon clips. They are hard to find as factory, but the brass was still available last time I checked.

Pops
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Starline should have .45 Auto Rim brass.

Edit: They make it but are out till 07/09

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

Art
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  12. BRUCE L. COHEN

BRUCE L. COHEN New Member

Great gun. Holster looks original and right. With the history I would believe it worth $1000 to $1250. The grips hurt the gun.
    Bruce
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I hate to be a spoilsport, but the gun really looks refinished:confused:
  14. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

The Colt may look refinished in the pics but has not been been touched other than some oil. The condition is untouched there is no refinishing and also the grips are original a national dealer in Colts examined the item in person and stated that is was one of the best truest M1917 Colts he had ever seen and he sells lots of these. The fact that the Officer that carried it didn't arrive in Europe until the end of WWI contributed to its fine condition. The holster is original it was purchased with the Colt from Col Millers' son along with his medals and his Remington Rand he carried during WWII it too was in near unissued condition being an officer on IKE'S staff he saw very little action. Thanks to everyone for there input
  15. dtexas99

dtexas99 New Member

I have an M1917. Has some wear marks from being through a war. I also have the Web Gear, 8 Half-moon clips, 8 Full-moon clips, and the original holster. The most interesting part is that I have a post card from 1917. It is in french, but is a pic of the solder itwas issed to. This postcard has his name written on back. I have not had the gun long enough to trackdown any info. I picked up the 1917, a "black widow" Luger, and an Iver Johnson made in 1908 *PRISTINE SHAPE*, and an 8mm Mauser S/N 43XX for $3K. What is you guys opinion on what this is worth??? Oh and the Luger was mde in '39... S/N is 38. ALL NUMBERS MATCH!!! I am just curious because I already had an offer on the Iver-Johnson for $2K. Any info would be greatly appreciated...
  16. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome to the forums dtexas99 !!

may i suggest you make a post in the ask the pro's and what its worth section so your weapons get the attention they deserve

pic's help a lot!

cheers
  17. Jim K

Jim K New Member

On the 1917 Colt, there are two serial numbers. The Colt serial number, in the New Service series, is on the crane and the frame under it. The Army serial number is on the butt, along with the other markings called for under the contract. (The Army wanted a number they could read without taking the gun out of a pistol rack, which is why the second serial number.) Note that not all the New Service guns in the 1917 range were 1917's; Colt continued producton of the regular NS for civilian and police use right along with the military contract production.

That gun was made, as far as I can tell, in late May, 1918.

I wouldn't be too quick to remove the "finish" from the grips. They were oiled, and a bit of hand rubbing will get that oil to looking like varnish. I see no signs that the gun was refinished in any way.

Jim