1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

WWII .45 ammo....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/11/01 12:26:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All WWII .45 ammo....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Picked up a 42 round "foreign repack" of mixed WWII "mildly corrosive" WWII ball.

Figured for the money, cheap blasting ammo.

But it intrigues me...WCC 41 and 42, RA 42, FA 42, and WRA ".45 AC" (no date) . Obviously original military, crimped, sealed primers, in nice shape.

Packed in properly fitting cardboard box, no markings, 6 rounds/row, with continous paper packing, you could quickly pull on paper and dump six from box.

Got me to thinking...(Scary, huh?)

COULD this be issue stuff for .45 ACP revolvers? And maybe FORIEGN revolvers?

Why the "42" rounds? Wasn't most packed in boxes of 50? I've seen LOTS of those.

Was WWII military issue ammo segregated normally, so all headstamps matched in a case, or all mixed together...especially after the war started....

And finally, is there any interest in WWII ammo to collectors, maybe this stuff is too good to shoot.

I know I'M intrigued, may have to buy some more!
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 12:58:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WWII .45 ammo....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polish, I think I read in SGN that this ammo is from Russia that we bought back. We sent it to them during WWII, they couldn't use it all and they stored it until now.

polishshooter
    (10/11/01 4:25:06 pm)
    Well, it was stored pretty well...

What did they have that would shoot it? Tell me we DIDN'T give them 1911s and Thompsons and 1917s did we?

Then again, maybe we did, and maybe some day cheap ones stored as well will be available to us Crufflers...
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 8:35:31 pm)
    It was on The Sight 1911A1 pages & www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/gi_surp_ammo.htm

From Sight website:
    "The Soviet Army had very little need for .45 ACP ball, having only a few Russian Contract M1911 pistols which were sold to the Czar between 1914 and 1918. In a classic example of F.U.B.A.R., we sent them tons of it which wound up sitting in warehouses. Finally, unwilling to let anything of value spoil, the Soviets repackaged it in big cans where it remained through the Cold War. Now that the U.S.S.R. is on the trash heap of history and most everything in the new Russia is for sale, we have been able to buy it back at bargain prices."

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 10/11/01 9:36:35 pm

polishshooter
    (11/24/01 2:04:35 pm)
    Just a shooting report...fired about 30 rounds through my custom .45 without a hitch, about as accurate as any milsurp hardball.

Need to pick up a bunch more at that price...plus, I'm saving some back from each box, they are mixed, I wonder if when I get 50 rounds or so matching from any of the 4 or 5 different arsenals it will have any collectors value?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915