The Firearms Forum banner

WWII era M1 Carbine

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  2ndamendment 
#1 ·
I am going to shop for a WWII era M1 Carbine whats the going price of a decent shooter?

#2 ·
Reworked pieces/"mix-masters" - with good barrels will start around $600 for a USGI receivered piece. I sold a Winchester 42 that was "correct" and in excellent condition for $2200 just about 2 years ago, now. There is quite a price range, depending upon % originality, manufacturer, condition etc. Expect to pay around a $1K for a "decent" collectible "shooter."

#3 · (Edited)
Jackman, for a decent shooter I'd take $500 or $600 to a Gun Show in your area. Ive seen plenty of shooter-grade Carbines in that price range. I paid about that for my Winchester made Carbine 5 or 6 years ago, but the bolt and trigger group were mixed manufacturers.

I've also seen folks asking WAAAAY too much for them. There's a store in town (part of a major chain sporting goods store) that has a Korean re-import with mix-master parts and a railroad tie stock for $999.

#5 ·
IH made the M1 RIFLE in the Korean War era, but did not make the M1 CARBINE. When you say "M1" you have to specify what "M1" you are talking about - M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, M1 Submachinegun, M1 tank, M1 truck, M1 helmet, etc., etc. In the military, the term "M1" used alone always meant the M1 rifle, but that is not necessarily the case with folks today.

Jim

#6 ·
Jackman, as with many WWII vintage rifles, many were assembled from barrels full of parts. Be sure and check the headspace on any carbine you consider. I didn't, and dang near blew myself up. If a rifle had a bad bolt, a different one could be simply dropped in without checking it. I had a real hassle getting the dealer I bought it from to take it back and refund my money.

They're fun guns... good luck shopping !!

#7 ·
Okay gotcha on the M1 Garand, Carbine, etc etc I knew it just sloppy typing ...

Had a talk with dealer and decided the gun show is not the best way for me get a nice Carbine since my knowledge of M1 Carbines is not enough make a good purchase so I'll go through a local dealer instead that way I have at least a little recourse if I buy a lemon , it will cost me more I bet but I want a nice shooter not a worn out display piece.... I'll post some pics when I get one for sure...

#8 ·
Shooting and collecting M1 carbines is one of my hobbies. I reload, so the expense is way down. I figure I shoot about 10000 rounds a year. I am sorry to say there are some weak spots in the carbine, as every so often I need to replace extractors, ejectors, and once in a while an entire bolt. To replace these parts you have to buy a special tool, also a gas nut wrench to remove the gas nut for frequent cleaning. So no matter where you buy your carbine, you have these experiences ahead of you. On the other hand, this is one of the most enjoyable weapons to shoot. Good luck!

#9 ·
I can imagine that after talking to a dealer that you'd be convinced that buying a firearm at a gun show is not a good idea. Buying a used firearm at a gun show or anywhere requires 1.) you are reasonably familiar with what you are after, and 2.) what it's worth.

Buying any weapon is also like buying an automobile. You should have an idea what to look for. You wouldn't buy a car if it were leaking oil all over the place, and you wouldn't buy a revolver with a loose cylinder. You'd pass on that pickup with a smokey engine just like you's pass on that rifle with a pitted bore. It's more horse sense than rocket science.

Of course you can always find a lemon, too. (I've even found lemons with spanking brand new cars...1974 Plymouth Gold Duster..1980 VW Rabbitt..) So buying from a dealer is no 100% quarantee, and not every dealer will back up a used firearm (or car). Your decision. Good luck and have fun!

#10 ·
I can imagine that after talking to a dealer that you'd be convinced that buying a firearm at a gun show is not a good idea. Buying a used firearm at a gun show or anywhere requires 1.) you are reasonably familiar with what you are after, and 2.) what it's worth.

Buying any weapon is also like buying an automobile. You should have an idea what to look for. You wouldn't buy a car if it were leaking oil all over the place, and you wouldn't buy a revolver with a loose cylinder. You'd pass on that pickup with a smokey engine just like you's pass on that rifle with a pitted bore. It's more horse sense than rocket science.

Of course you can always find a lemon, too. (I've even found lemons with spanking brand new cars...1974 Plymouth Gold Duster..1980 VW Rabbitt..) So buying from a dealer is no 100% quarantee, and not every dealer will back up a used firearm (or car). Your decision. Good luck and have fun!
Exactly , but with the dealer I at least get some time to get to know him, ask questions and generally get an idea of what type person he is, I will not buy anything from a fly by night just make the sale type person, once I find a good dealer I'll be a good customer and spend some money , the gun show sales probably not much return customers wham bam and gone.

#11 ·
Check this cut and paste from an M1 Carbine form :eek:, it why I buy from a dealer and not a gun show vendor..

My first was a double spring, stamped slide Universal, about.....1982 or so. Jammed about every second shot, but had a really cool looking underfolding stock. I owned it for about two weeks, then pawned it off on some other poor soul at a gunshow.

Fortunately it didn't ruin me on M1 Carbines, and I pray that it didn't the poor guy who owned it after me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.