WWII German handguns

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by MConn, Jun 7, 2007.

1. MConn

MConn New Member

Which would you say was the best German handgun of the Second World War? And what's your personal favorite?
  2. That's easy. The best was the Walther P-38 9mm. A well-built, highly reliable weapon.
  3. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

i have to agree with the P-38, despite the fact that its ugly, and has rather poor ergonomics...

it functions without flaw under any conditions, with any ammo, and can go pretty long without being cleaned and lubed...

others to consider:

STAR MODEL B
    VIS RADOM
    CZ-27 (several variants in this family)
    FN 1922
    RIECHSREVOLVER
    MAUSER MODEL 1910 - 1914 - 1912/1916 - 1934
    LUGER VARIANTS
    MAUSER HSC
    ORTGIES VARIANTS
    FEMARU P37
    FROMMER STOP
    WALTHER PP
    BERETTA 1935
    BROWNING HI-POWER

best regards, mike.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  4. MConn

MConn New Member

I knew there were many WWII German handguns, but that's a pretty good list. My personal favorite would have to be the Walther PP, because my grandfather got one while in Germany during the war. Don't forget the Walther PPK though, it's the type Hitler used to kill himself.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Since NO criteria was listed for "best German handgun of WW 2", I will presume a standard service pistol as apposed to a "pocket" pistol.

While I guess I like the P.38 - I have about 65 of them - The overall Best pistol produced/used by the Germans in WW 2 is the Browning M35 Hi-Power!
    It was much sought after by many of the German troops durring the war.

I have carried an M35 almost daily starting in 1969, including in combat(I have that one hanging on the wall in my gun room). While there are other reasonably good pistols available today, there is NOT one for which I would trade my Hi-Power. Did that stupid thing once, decided I should "upgrade to a more modern pistol" and got a new Mod 59 S&W. Fired 1 mag thru it and immediately sold it and bought another Browning.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I've gotta go along with Sarge. I haven't shot all of the one's listed, but the best I've shot are....

#1 Browning M35.....overall the best of the bunch.

#2 ViS wz.35.....a real sweet shooter, and the early one's were very well made.

#3 Walther PP.....nice looking, sweet shooting

#4 P.38.....ugly, doesn't fit my hand well, but reliable and reasonably accurate.

#5 Mauser HSc.....a really pretty little pistol. Love that "Art Deco" design.

BUT.....the one I'd most like to own.....a pristine, all-matching, P.08. Terrible trigger, finikey as hell on ammunition, not all that reliable or accurate, but extremely well balanced, and a joy to hold and look at.
  7. You and me both, X! I've shot a P.08, but never owned one. WAY, WAY out of my price range! :eek: I understand the Krauts issued those to some officers even as late at WWII, but mostly they relied on the P-38. And yeah, you're right, the P-38s ergonomics suck muddy pond water, but it is a very reliable pistol.
  8. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+2 for Sarge and the Browning HP.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

I find the P.08 an easy gun to shoot and accurate. I have shot and owned many of them. I currently have 2, a 4" bbl and an 8" artillery with almost all of the extras to go with it.
    I disagree about the P.38! I find it a very comfortable pistol to hold and shoot and also very accurate.
    BUT, Nothing compares to the M35 Browning! :D
    Sarge
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

MRMIKE,

Astra also made pistols for the Reich after Germany took over Spain.

One was the Mod 400 "Waterpistol" and another that looked identical to the Broomhandle Mauser including the wooden stock/holster.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

NO, Germany NEVER took over Spain! Franco was an ally of Hitler.
    Yes Spain sold Astra 300, 400 & 600 pistols to Germany durring the war.

They also sold Llama, Star and another make or two of pistols to the Germans. I'm not aware that any of the Astra copies of the Schnellfeuer pistols (can't remember the mod nr) were ever sold to Germany. Can you doccument that?
    Sarge
  12. Ursus

Ursus New Member

P-38. A true German handgun. The P-35 is not such, altough they did used it.
  13. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

to be honest, if one were to attempt to list every pistol that was adopted or officialy approved as a supplimentary sidearm (waffenampted and proofed) by the Third Reich you would probably easily exceed 50 examples...

BAYARD
    SAUER
    SUHL
    BERGMAN
    the list is endless...

than consider all the pistols captured, and absorbed into the german TO&E or produced in captured factories...

i just hit on the highlights, or the ones most commenly encountered...

and yes, ASTRA should have been on the list.

best regards, mike.
  14. MConn

MConn New Member

I have a few questions about my grandfather's Walther PP. It's a 7.65mm caliber pistol, and he has some .32 cal. ammo. I'm just wanting to make sure that 7.65mm = .32 cal. ...correct? Also, can you tell the date it was manufactured by the serial #?
    :D Thanks!
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i like the original "broomhandle" in .30 mauser, they are ugly, but are fun to shoot.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Yes, 7.62mm = 32acp.
    Yes the ser nr will tell the approximate year of production.
    If you do not want to post it send me the ser nr by email and I'll give you the info.

I agree, the broom handles are fun to shoot, I've got a couple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  17. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Holy Smoly Sarge.....:eek:

That collections worth a buck er two.....:D
  18. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Sarge.....I consider the Broomhandle the most amazing pistol ever made.....not necessarily as a practical firearm, but as a work of art. The complexity of the machine work on all of those matching parts is amazing!

In high school (about 1000 years ago....:) ), our Machine Shop teacher was a gun nut, and brought his C-96 to school (can you imagine doing that today?). When he disassembled it and laid all the parts out, our jaws hit the floor! All of those intricate, close tolerance, cuts and angles......absolutely amazing!

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1780z1896 BROOMHANDLE

And the fit & finish of those parts....superb! Boy, can you imagine trying to duplicate that workmanship today?
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats a beautiful collection there sarge... im a tad jealous:)
  20. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Gotta fessup - the Hi-Power & 2 broom handle stocks are chicom imports from about 15+ yrs ago. Both the luger stocks are original. Wasn't interested in broom handles years ago and can't afford to buy original stocks now (had an Ingless HP stock stolen in 72, never replaced it).
    Yeah, workmanship is great, but sometime getting a BH apart and back togather is a pain since I rarely do so.