WWII P-38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phlmorgan, Jul 9, 2006.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

I picked up an abused Walther P-38 a few years back for $60 bucks and wanted to know if anyone can give me a little info about it.

It's a metal framed one that had some serious rust damage to it. Serial # 8815, all parts are same serial number. On frame above the S# it has IAC ALLX VA. On the slide it has SVW and 45 under it. On the opposite side of the slide it has a star stamped on it. There is an eagle stamp on the frame but it has some pitting where the others would be on a WW II gun so I can't tell.

I would like to get a new barrel (used) and have tried to purchase some but it only fits the WW II parts. It's a shame someone did not take care of this gun and let it get in such bad shape but I have managed to clean it up and fired a few shots through it, but the end of the barrell is so pitted I would like to be able to find a new one. Any ideas?

Sorry no picture, dont have a digital camera yet.

Thanks,
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You have a postwar P38 assembled by the French after they took over the Mauser factory. It was exported to the U.S. and sold on the commercial market. Take your question over to the P38 Forum

http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/index.php

Someone there will be certain to help you.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'd sure like to have a P-38, especially if it were in good condition for only $60.00.

They were one of my favorites, even after the P-51 came along.

:) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi phlmorgan......welcome to TFF. :)

As WW says, your pistol was manufactured under French Occupation just after the war. The "IAC ALLX VA" was the importer's mark for the International Arms Corp. in Alexandria, VA.

Hey Marlin.....there are still 5 more under the Greenland icecap. You can have any one of 'em you want for 60 bucks. :D

http://www.coffeedrome.com/glacier.html
  5. I agree, Marlin. I always thought the P-38 was one of the "coolest" aircraft designs to come out of WWII, and a very effective fighter aircraft to boot. I also think the pistol of the same name is one of the best! Alas, neither one falls into the $60.00 range anymore! SOG has a few Nazi-era P-38s for sale right now, but they want $500.00 for one!
  6. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Thanks for the info on the old Walther. All the post war Walther P-38's I had seen had the Aluminum frame and parts don't interchange. this one is interchangeable with my fathers WWII bring back.
  7. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

I've always been struck by the fact that three items became famous in WWII and they were all called P38: the P-38 Lockheed Lightning, definitely the sexiest airframe design ever: the Walther P.38 pistol and the P-38 folding can opener that came in the C Rations and is still with us today.

I have two of these three items. Care to guess which ones ?

Bill
  8. e3mrk

e3mrk New Member

I have found alot of Walther P-38 parts on e-bay for decent prices,I am in the middle of building another one at this time and find parts are alot cheaper there.