WWII Photos and Documents

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by SSMN, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Joschibald

Joschibald New Member

WOW!
    Thank you for the Fotos.
    This is my hometown on the pictures! (Gallneukirchen)
    The field looks today still like at the pictures!

Have you more Pics from this Village?

Thank you for sharing!

Wonderful!

nice greetings from Austria
    Joschi
  2. Joschibald

Joschibald New Member

Hello,
    thank you for sharing the Pics from 1945 of Linz and around. Gallneukirchen is my hometown. It´s on the three Pictures were the First Prisoner Camp was.
    Is it possible to send me or post more fotos from this time and town? Also from the nearly KZ Mauthausen?
    Thank you for your answer.
    mfg
    Josch
  3. SSMN

SSMN Member

Hello Josch,
    Yes... I am sorry for not doing so before this. I will soon post more photos. I will need to go through those already posted to confirm that I am not posting the same photos twice. It has been a while since I posted these.

Steve Stepan
    Author of "SS Walther PP/PPK Identification & Documents"
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. JMustarde

JMustarde New Member

The great metroplex of Reno TX about 6 feet outsid
    Thanks a million for this narrative and photos. I just completed the whole thread and I am very glad to have seen these photos and comments.

My dad, Robert G. Mustarde, was with the 11th Armored all the way from the beginning muster. He drove a tank, and for years after the war had a minor disability due to frozen feet suffered at the Battle of the Bulge.

For some years during his retirement he was active in the 11th Armored reunion group, attending their scheduled events, and he was elected president of that group for one term of service.

He passed away still a proud member of the 11th Armored, despite all the intervening years. One highlight was when he visited an army base and because of his former service was allowed to slip into the drivers seat of an Abrams tank. Oh what a difference, Abrams to Sherman!

I would like to get a more original copy of the two After Action Report maps if possible, and I would be glad to pay. If you are able to point me in the right direction to get those maps I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for your excellent post and for the fortitude and time it took to complete it.
  5. SSMN

SSMN Member

The photograph attached to this post was originally attached to post #138.
    At the time of that post, the photo was very cloudy and unclear. Since that time, I published the second edition of my book on SS PP/PPKs and as a final statement in that book, I included this photo. At no small expense, I sent the photo away for enhancement. It came out so well that I've attached it here once again. Please make sure that you click on this photo three times until it fills the whole screen. The detail is wonderful.

In addition to the Navy Luger that Sundown carried on his web belt, you can now clearly see the pintle mounted fully loaded Browning M1919 medium machine gun, an M1 carbine vertically mounted between the seats and an M3 .45 cal. "grease gun" tucked behind the jerry can and next to the medic kit. Sundown and Towhead III were well armed. All are within easy reach of the prisoner, an SS officer, according to the inscription on the back of the photo. But he appears to have no interest in escape or resistance. By the time of this photo, he had long since surrendered his SS marked PPK to John.

It was common practice to transport prisoners on the hood or fender where they could be observed at all times. In this case, this method of transport may have been the first of many indignities to come for this young SS officer. It appears that the fight had gone out of him. He is still wearing his rucksack with another laying on the hood next to him.

Notice the blown-out windows, the tired looking M37 three-quarter ton truck and the water point sign in the background. (Water Battalion? Point)

I believe this photograph which clearly shows the rigors undergone by "Towhead III", the SS officer and even the civilian in the background, provides a fitting final statement to the struggle and sacrifice by US soldiers who secured freedom and peace for a world at war.

Steve Stepan
    Author of:
    "SS Walther PP/PPK Identification & Documents"
    "Sundown at Dawn"...a novel.
    glenmoreresort@earthlink.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. frow blucher

frow blucher Member

SSMN/Steve....i just finished the entire thread, can't believe I missed this until now. I'm thankful for the work you did archiving all your uncles memories (Sundown). Unforgettable. Thanks very much.
  7. SSMN

SSMN Member

Thank you Frow,
    Please check back here. I'll be adding more photos soon.
  8. SSMN

SSMN Member

A forum member, Joschibald, has requested more photos of Gallneukirchen, his hometown. So I will post more of his town and more of Linz also as requested. These first photos show the field outside of Gallneukirchen. The large field was still mostly empty in the morning. By the end of the day and in following days, the field filled with thousands of PW's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. SSMN

SSMN Member

More of Gallneukirchen. PW's milling about and a good view of Gallneukirchen across the valley before the prisoners arrived.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. SSMN

SSMN Member

Beyreuth civilians. Once civilians understood that we were no threat to them, they became curious and bold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

SSMN, I have fallowed this thread from the time you started it. This has been a great pleasure to read this. I just went through the whole thread again. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.
  12. SSMN

SSMN Member

Big Ugly,
    Thank you for the vote of confidence. I wasn't sure if there would be much interest in this thread when I began. The photos and stories mean a lot to me, but you never know if others would find their way to the thread. I think that I now have validation for my work. I finished the original portion of the thread less than twenty four months ago and soon the view count will go over thirty thousand. For that I want to thank you all. Out of gratitude for your interest, I'm in the process of posting additional photos. Many of the following photos will not be in chronological order and a few might have been posted earlier in this thread, but nearly two years have gone by and I'll do my best to not duplicate earlier photos.

Thanks again.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  13. SSMN

SSMN Member

Time off in Linz. The war was over when this was taken. Steel pots were the order of the day during the war when in a combat zone. Here, Sundown was wearing his overseas cap, Eisenhower jacket, class A bloused trousers but still carrying the navy luger. Notice the cat scrounging for food near his feet.

Attached Files:

14. SSMN

SSMN Member

ReichsAutobahn Super Highway. When Eisenhower saw what they had accomplished with the AutoBahn, he was astounded. In later years, after he became president, he pushed for a similar interstate highway system. We now have it and it's called the Eisenhower Interstate System.

Attached Files:

15. SSMN

SSMN Member

I've found that the halftrack M15's were put to more uses than I ever imagined. They were utilized as troop carriers, maintenance trucks, AAA platforms as shown here and a myriad of other uses.
  16. SSMN

SSMN Member

Doughs advancing past wrecked armor. Heading toward Longchamp. White painted M15. This is the first photo I've seen with the windshield armor down. The driver had just a slit to see through. The pulpit mounted .50 cal Browning is also on display.

Attached Files:

17. SSMN

SSMN Member

During the Battle of the Bulge, orders came down requiring all equipment be painted white. White helmets, white peeps, white tanks.

Attached Files:

18. SSMN

SSMN Member

Towards the end of the war, they were becoming desperate to fill the ranks. Old men and boys as young as thirteen were called up. Hitlerjugend. These were picked up near Lasau, April 15. Major Booch, Provost Marshall is debriefing them on the move. A Browning machine gun can be seen above their heads, set up to be fired over the windshield.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  19. Joschibald

Joschibald New Member

Hello,
    this is not Gramastetten.
    This is in Gallneukirchen. In the background you can see the castle Riedegg.
  20. Joschibald

Joschibald New Member

Hello Steve,

thanks a lot for posting new pics of gallneukirchen and around.
    its so interesting for us.
    thank you