WWII pilot's 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Armybrat, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Armybrat

Armybrat New Member

The elderly gentleman pictured below was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. His first assignment was flying B-24s out of North Africa, IIRC, then was transferred to the CBI (China-Burma-India) theatre where he flew cargo over "The "Hump".

He was my Dad's lifelong best friend from college (Mizzou) until my Dad passed away in 2002. He passed away two years ago at age 97, still pretty sharp. The family misses him almost as much as my Dad - they were like brothers.

He bequeathed his gun collection to me and my two brothers....many of them well used on his annual big game hunts in Alaska. In the division of his collection (we drew lots), one of my brothers got his 1911 .45 & shoulder holster rig that he carried throughout the war. Bro also has a picture of him wearing it standing by a Jeep in North Africa.

He used to be the head of the CBI veterans organization, and I took this pic of him at the last convention he attended in San Antonio about 4 years ago:

[​IMG]

One local Colt collector examined this pistol thoroughly, stripped down (the gun, that is), and said it was not reassembled with mixed up parts. We have a detailed notarized letter from the pilot describing said pistol:

UNITED STATES PROPERTY (right side over trigger)

No. 5669**

(made in 1919)

AA (markings over left side trigger)

Figure of an eagle and 512 or S12 (markings behind left side trigger)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

What a treasure - both the man and the weapon.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I second Jukers sentiments!
    If you could post a little bigger showing all angles, (both sides full view, top, back) we might just see exactly what you got there.
    The AA over the left trigger is Augusta Arsenal one of the repair arsenals that beginning in the late 30's weapons were sent to be overhauled, or repaired.
    Eagle S12 is Type 1 Eagles Head Inspection Mark used I believe from May15,1918-April 1919. Your Holster is icing on the cake!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Since I have just aquired one of these recently, I have a renewed respect for the history of these guns. To me, this great american left your family gold bricks. You should cherish them and hopefully pass them along to your children and grandchildren.