WWII PPK for Concealed Carry?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Minotaur, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Minotaur

Minotaur New Member

This new guy here (me) is wondering if I would be considered crazy to carry my WWII issue Walther PPK as my (CPL) concealed carry pistol, or to take it along with me to deer camp and such. Essentially, make it a sidearm, not just a collectible object in the drawer. Condition of the gun is very nice, but not mint.

Thanks in advance. You guys have a very nice forum here.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

It's your gun, so if you are a gun "user" rather than a "collector," by all means, use the thing. If I had one, it would be my #1 carry gun (I'm looking at getting a PPK/s, by the way).

It's a reputable arm, and it's certainly up to the task. Many people carry them, and you could certainly do much, much worse in your selection.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Welcome Minotour,

As above, the PPK would make an excellent carry gun.

Good ammunition would be a help in .380. One person I knew who carried a .380 mixed the rounds between hollow points and FMJs. All should be tested on a range before hand to ensure the gun can feed them without hangups though.
  4. Minotaur

Minotaur New Member

Thanks for the input. I probably should specify that this particular PPK is the .32 model. Yes, I imagine it might be light for a load, depending on what my needs may be, but the big question is whether or not I use the collectible in question as a regular shooter and/or carrier, you know, put some wear and tear on it that occurs naturally.

The last time I went shopping for a concealed carry pistol, probably a S&W M&P, I ended up buying a pistol I (kind of) passed on when I bought the PPK and two other WWII issue pistols (Mauser luger 9mm and P38 9mm): a new Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W, almost too big for concealment. The PPK just seems to be the best option that I own for concealed carry, other than it's collectibility, especially considering my physical frame. Other options include my 1911 National Match and S&W 586 in 357... each too big.

I used to own a PPK/S, and each of the two times I took it to the target range, I lost something from each sight (front then rear). So, I had a personal bad experience with the newer, but probably an isolated case for the gun.

I don't plan on carrying anything every day, I just like to exercise my right to bear arms when I feel like it, since I'm licensed as such.... I guess it's simply a matter of opinion, and maybe I should just invest in another gun for this purpose alone.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

From what you say you would be served well by the PPk you have now, as long as it is reliable. :)
  6. Viper246

Viper246 New Member

A .32 is a poor selection to base your life or death upon. It has no penetration or impact power. I would not use anything lighter than a .380 or better yet a 9mm. I have 2 carry pistols the first is a day gun, a 9mm SKYY CPX-1. It's very light and the 9mm is a proven load. The night gun is a Springfield 1911-A1 .45 ACP, no need to introduce that round either. The point being, if your going to carry, you may have to pull. If you have to pull, what are you going to bet your life on?
  7. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have the 32, its my house gun, we can't carry in this state. Every once in a while it goes to the range, I like to shoot this gun. Its had some rounds through it and shows very little wear. Very reliable with FMJ, I would not use hollow points on this one, just my preferance. Of course the gun has some value to it, but if you like it and it handles good, I'd carry with it (if we could). On accident I purchased an unfired 9mm, I just can't bear to shoot it. One day I will trade for better, I like to shoot all my iron, I am not a collector either.
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Viper is quite correct, if carrying a handgun for self defence a 9mm, or .38spl is the minimum I would recommend, and a .380 only if no other were available. Its just that given the situation and requirement Minotour explained, the .32 will fit. It also has to be better than nothing.

Minotour clearly understands other guns and calibres, though seems a little too keen on vintage guns for defence.

Why not just buy a good used compact 9mm for carry, and enjoy the PPk as a collectors item with some occasional range time?
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Make sure to use new mags as opposed to originals.
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

a .32 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home....

I have a 1917 Colt that gets CC duty from time to time....
  11. Minotaur

Minotaur New Member

TranterUK, haha I like your signature! Maybe it's a sign I should use my Browning 40 as my CCW, and just get a good holster for it. And if not, yes, maybe I should just invest in a caliber with more knock down than a 32 and a gun I can put miles on w/out feeling regret. Darn, I knew I should have picked up that used stainless PPK for $350 that I saw in a shop. Oh well, didn't have the $ at the time. There's always more, and I hope that cheap.

And, delta13soultaker, point well taken. I've already been browsing new mag options (not like there's a million), and maybe even grips. I don't plan to drop my guns, but ouch! It sure would hurt if I ever damaged the original grip/mag plastic. The more I think about it with y'alls input - I think I'll pack the 40 and just play around the house with the PPK until I get something in between. I always have a switchblade or pea shooter (unloaded) in the room with me to appreciate.:cool:

Thanks for the group therapy / problem solving.:)
  12. infish

infish New Member

Please don't take this post the wrong way. So many people a hung up on round size.
    I'm a firm believer if you have proper training, and maintain your composure when you pull your weapon out, and can put your shot were you aim it, size don't matter much. .32 is a great
    round. I carry my Walter ppk in .32 I don't worry about a thing. Just my way of thinking.
    Enjoy your rights.
    -Tony
  13. MutedUziel

MutedUziel New Member

+ 1
  14. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I tend to agree with Infish, it really does'nt matter about caliber if you can put that bullet where you aim.
    I have a Walther PPK/S (German) from 1971 that shoots what ever I put through it with no problem and its aim is on the money. By the way it's a 380, perfect size, perfect feel...!!![​IMG][/IMG]
  15. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

A PPK is a good CC pistol - I do that, too. Mine is a newer S&W stainless .380. I am not a Game Warden, but I understand that some states hunting regs have limitations on calibers of sidearms you can carry while hunting. Think I'd check that out in the state you are hunting in first.

Secondly, while the PPK is a GREAT little pistol for CC, of course there are better choices. The only gripe I have with mine is that there is no slide release lever. My wife carries a Makarov, wich is an updated PPK, and that one has the manual slide release. Makes reloading much easier and faster.

As far as a hunting sidearm, I used to carry a little French MAS 1935A (.32 French Long) years ago for the 'coup-de-grace'. Close up, a .32 would be effective in that role. Wouldn't be much of a survival weapon, though....

Finally, shooting WW2 vintage guns runs a risk. I do it. You have to remember that these pistols are getting pretty old. I've had broken extractors and such with WW1 Lugers and WW2 P-38s. Getting harder by the day to find replacement parts. Mine are shooters, not museum pieces.
  16. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i am waiting on my cpl permit in the mail and i will be carrying my 1974 ppk/s .32 .. its a great concealer