WWII Trivia

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Xracer, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Here's some WWII Trivia questions for all you Military Buffs. (No fair looking 'em up)

1) What color went to war and never came back?

2) The Douglas C-47 (DC-3) was the workhorse of transport aircraft in WWII. Besides the U.S., in what other countries was it manufactured?

3) WWII Song: "Dirty Gertie from _______"

4) WWII Song: "We're the poor battered bastards of _________"

5) The Heavy Cruiser, U.S.S. Phoenix (CL-46) was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th 1941. She survived the Japanese attack, and, in fact, survived the entire WWII. She was later sunk in another war. What war, and by whom was she sunk?

6) What were the Allied codenames for the for the Normandy Beaches on D-Day?

7) What was the name of the Project to develop the Atomic Bomb?

8) What the names of the two men, one a civilian, one military, who headed that Project?

9) What was the codename for Patton's 3rd Army Headquarters?

10) In WWII, five brothers, serving together on the same ship, were killed when it was sunk. Later, a Destroyer was named after them. What was the name of that Destroyer?
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Ooh, ooh, I actually know one!! Pick me, pick me!! The Normandy beaches were Omaha and Utah!

I guess you threw that one in as a gimme. :D

I've never heard of the Dirty Gertie song, so I looked it up. Interesting little ditty. ;)

And there was a program on the Military Channel just the other night about the Atomic Bomb project, but I was in and out of the room and don't remember the names of the people they talked about.
  3. OK, X, let me give it a shot.

1. Not sure what you mean by "color" here. I'm gonna guess pink. :D

2. I know that Great Britain built it. I think they called it the Dakota.

3. "Dirty Gertie from Bizerte" which is in Tunisia, North Africa.

4. "We're the Poor Battered Bastards of Bataan."

5. I'm gonna guess the Cold War, and she was sunk by the U.S. as a target at the Bikini Atoll atomic bomb tests.

6. American beaches: Utah and Omaha. British and Canadian: Gold, Sword, and Juno.

7. The Manhattan Project.

8. Robert Oppenheimer was the civilian. I've forgotten the name of the Army officer who was in overall command, but I remember from pictures that he was a rather rotund looking fellow. ;)

9. No recollection on this one. I would guess something like "Old Blood and Guts' Headquarters." :rolleyes:

10. The U.S.S. The Sullivans. A very tragic tale indeed, X. I can only imagine the anguish their parents felt when they learned the news. This incident also led to the Navy's banning of relatives serving on the same ship as I recall.
  4. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

5. The cruiser was sold to Argentina, and was sunk by a British sub during the Flakland Island War. If I'm not mistaken it was the cause of the majority of Argentine fatalities.

On a related subject what was the last warship at Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 on active duty?
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

2) The Douglas C-47 (DC-3) was the workhorse of transport aircraft in WWII. Besides the U.S., in what other countries was it manufactured?

USSR and Japan

8) What the names of the two men, one a civilian, one military, who headed that Project?

Oppenheimer and Groves
  6. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I thought the color that went to war and didn't come back was the green on the lucky strikes cicigarette pack. After the war they were white.
  7. Xracer

Wow! That was quick.

SoMo.....you got 2 out of the 5 Normandy Beaches. See PS's answer.

PS....1,2,5,9 Wrong. 3,4,6,10 Right. 8 is 1/2 right. Well Done.

On #4....I thought everybody was going to say "Bastogne", 'cause there was a similar song "The Battling Bastards of the Bastion of Bastogne". But, of course, you got it right! "We're The Poor Battered Bastards of Bataan....Ain't got no Mama, no Papa, no Uncle Sam...."

Excellent.

17th....Right. After WWII she was sold to Argentina and was renamed the "General Belgrano" and was sunk by a British sub during the Falklands War.

I think the last surviving ship from Pearl Harbor was a Coast Guard Cutter the "Tanney".....she's on display in Baltimore, MD.

John K3.....Right on both. On the C-47/DC-3....in Japan it was built as the Showa L2D (Allied condename "Topsy"), and in Russia as the Lisunov Li-2.

The Jap L2D was a pirated copy. The Russian L1-2 was a "Licensed Copy"....though Douglas never saw a penny of the licensing fee from the Russians (why doesn't that surprise me?)

On the Manhatten Project, J. Robert Oppenheimer and Brig. Gen. Leslie Groves.

Wolfgang.....Right! Wow.....this is the one I didn't think anybody would get. You must be as old as I am! :)

Yup! "Lucky Strike Green" went to war and never came back. Good catch.

OK, Trivia Buffs.....that still leaves....

9) What was the codename for Patton's 3rd Army Headquarters?
  8. By the way, X, I really enjoyed this. We should do more of this sort of thing on this forum. Polish would have a ball with it, but of course he would be wrong if any questions concerned German v. American tanks. ;) :D Thanks for the effort of posting the questions! Here's one to add, just for fun:

What was the nickname given to the Catalina Flying Boat used extensively by America and Britain during WWII for anti-submarine patrol and other duties, and from whom or what was that nickname derived? :D
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

From the depths of the cobweb back mind, I believe Patton's 3rd Army HQ was named "Lucky Forward". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pistol, are you looking for the "Black Cat" name as they became after a change with the addition of night time bombing runs?

Sometimes it takes a while to drum up some of these thoughts from the recesses.......:)
  10. Marlin, your cobwebs are not too dense at all; that name was indeed given to the night bomber versions of the Catalina, but that is not the one I was looking for. I'm referring to a more general nickname assigned to those planes.
  11. Marlin

I can recall a few others but not sure what you are looking for. How about "Dumbo"?

They were variously called a "Mad Cat" or a "Pig Boat". Also I think I recall one version being called a "Nomad".

If none of these are a hit, I respectfully give up. :) :)
  12. Xracer

Marlin.....Right on! The 3rd Army's codename was "Lucky", and Patton's HQ were "Lucky Forward".

BTW....I used to take Rt. 3 (in Maine) between Augusta and Belfast quite often. Somewhere around South China there was a kind of hardscrabble farm up next to a hillside with a big, elaborately carved wooden sign (looked like it cost more than the farmhouse) that said "Lucky Forward Farm" and had a big 3rd Army Logo. Wonder where he served in WWII? :D

PS.....I knew a guy who flew in "Cats" in the Pacific during WWII, and they called it "The 90 Knot Wonder".....took off at 90 knots, flew at 90 knots, and landed at 90 knots. Is that what you're looking for?

What plane was "The Flying Prostitute"?
  13. Marlin

If memory serves me correctly, it would be the B-26!

I'd heard about that sign from an Uncle who had seen it. He knew the family that owned the farm and always thought it was due to the senior member serving under Patton. Don't know, for sure, though
  14. You win the Cupie Doll, Marlin! :D They called it the "Dumbo" after the flying elephant character created by Walt Disney.

I have to agree with Marlin on this one, X, the B-26 Maurader. If memory serves me, it was called that because of its difficult handling and landing qualities. A lot of pilots were lost to accidents, especially on landings.
  15. Xracer

You're both right on the B-26 Maurader....but it was called the Flying Prostitute due to it's very short wingspan (on the early models), and thus had "no visible means of support".

OK.....what later (jet) aircraft was known as the "Ensign Eliminator"?