WWII Trivia

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Xracer, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

Inplanotx, I had heard that the French Foreign Legion origanily was quite effective in Vietnam. It got out that they were a lot of former German Army WW II vets, including some who may have been SS men. The French bowing to public pressure replaced these Legionares with others with less questionable pasts, but who were also less effective. I believe I heard that years ago on the G. Gorden Liddy show. Don't know how true it is.
  2. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

This U.S. General was commander of U.S. forces in the European Theater of Operations. He may have had General Eisenhower's job if he had not been killed in a plane crash.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

This item from a website on European Royalty would seem to give credance to IPT's comments. I included the url for those that would like to go to the source.

The British Royal Family
    Their Last Name

The royal family has little use for last names - after all, everyone knows who they are.

Princess Diana did not take back her maiden name, Spencer, after her divorce; she continued to be known simply as "Diana." The queen signs official documents "Elizabeth R." The R stands for Regina, which means "queen." (Regina is not one of her given names; she was baptised Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.)

But the royal family does have a last name, and they do use it from time to time. This wasn't always the case. Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, was a member of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, so her descendants were part of that dynasty. This, however, was not the family's last name. They didn't have one, because they didn't need one, so they didn't worry about it.

Experts later worried about it for them and decided their name was probably "Witten" (or maybe even Wipper).

The royal family's official name, or lack thereof, became a problem during World War I, when people began to mutter that Saxe-Coburg-Gotha sounded far too German. King George V and his family needed a new, English-sounding name. After considering every possible name, from Plantagenet to Tudor-Stuart to simply England, the king and his advisors chose the name Windsor.

To this day, the British royal family is known as the House of Windsor. When Princess Elizabeth (the current queen) served as a subaltern in the Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II, she was called "Elizabeth Windsor." Elizabeth married Prince Philip of Greece, whose family name was Mountbatten, and eventually she decreed that most of her descendants would be called Mountbatten-Windsor. Princess Anne used this name in 1973 when she married Captain Mark Phillips.

However, according to statements made by the queen, it appears that Windsor is still the official family name for any British royal who is styled "Royal Highness." The queen's youngest son, Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, has used the name Edward Windsor professionally. His wife calls herself Sophie Wessex.

http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/Windsor/

4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

*Mountbatten was also a changed name. Prior to WWI it had been Battenburg.
  5. What was the profession of Nazi SS commander Heinrich Himmler prior his involvment with the Nazi party?
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The French Foreign Legion for the most part is about the only French Regular unit that is worth a crap, even IF they know only too well how to "Lose Gloriously...." They are actually pretty good....

I guess the rest of the French Army just knows how to lose "ingloriously....::p

Actually, there were a few fights in Africa and the Far East after WWII where the 2nd Parachutiste Legere Etrange did rather well, almost as many battle ribbons as the 101st or the 82nd....

I think they have an armored regiment or division which is also good too, I think it fought in the First gulf War next to the Marines....but I could be wrong....
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  7. The French Foreign Legion (French: Légion Étrangère), was created in 1831 under the reign of King Louis Phillipe after the July Revolution of 1830. It has survived so long, according to Colonel John Elting, professional soldier and historian, because,

"The French, being a thrifty and practical people, have always been eager to let any available foreigners assist them in any necessary bleeding and dying for la Patrie."

:D ;)