WWII Vintage Walther PP

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sprinkles, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sprinkles

sprinkles New Member

My uncle and grandfather served in WWII. I am now in possession of a Walther PP they brought home from Germany. My sons wives are so anti-gun I will not be able to pass it down. Therefore I am interested in its worth. I have posted photos. The serial number is 148908 P, The bluing is in excellent condition except for some wear around the muzzle. It has the crown N on the slide. The pistol is in the original holster and includes an ammo clip.

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The serial nuimber and crown N date it to 1940, before any value can be given, are there any other markings on the gun or holster?? the holster looks very much like a military issue
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    Your pistol was manufactured in 1939. RJ remember the C/N was discontinued at the beginning of 1940 & E/N was the marking then on. However many C/N pistols were used during the war because the officers had to buy their guns. For the rig to be correct, the mag should only have the Walther banner on it.
    The holster is prewar as the Nazi's used black. Infact most brown ones were painted.
    That is a really fine pistol and with the holster,mag extention should be valued over 1200 dollars for insurance. Hope this helps ya?
    Danny
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

sprinkles, welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your sons problems. There is still a chance that they might remarry at some time in the future and things will be as it should be.:D:D
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is a very nice Heirloom and a shame it's not being pasted on.
  6. sprinkles

sprinkles New Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll post photos of the Walther P38 when I get a chance. I also have my grandfathers govenment issue 45.
  7. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

You certainly have some awesome pieces of tangible history.
    I'm sorry your family is in such a mindset that you can't hand it down.
    BUT...
    Have faith. Converts happen. I'm proof.:)
  8. sprinkles

sprinkles New Member

Here are photos of the P38 and 45. I know some information on the P38. It is a Spreewerke version since it carries the "cyq" code on the slide. The number on the slide, 5563 m, does not match the number on the frame, 327 k, but it is also a Spreewerke manufactured pice since the inspection stamp is the "eagle over 88".

I don't have much information on the 45. It has what look to be walnut grips. The serial number is 392962. I think it had deteriorated in appearance and myDad had it reblued. The surface on the top of the slide and the bottom of the frame look like they have been sand blasted. I am not sure if that surface treatment was original.

Attached Files:

9. Danny

Danny Member

The Colt 1911 looks great & I hate to hear it was reblued. It kills the collector value 100%. Sorry to say, but now it is a shooter grade pistol and maybe worth a grand or less. Still a very nice pistol. It was manufactured in 1918. Hope this helps some?
    Danny