WWII Walther PPK .32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sgtdavisnl, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

Looking for help on identifying the year, value and history of a My Grand-Fathers ppk from WWII. Can Anyone help me out?
  2. TTE

TTE Member

Not with the information given up to this point.
  3. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

What information is needed?

SN= 393248p near the trigger
    SN= 368107p
    AC on the slide.
    No additional marking on pistol anywhere. it is i found out a pp and not a ppk

It also has real wood grips (oak i think) not plastic and not black.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The AC code and wood grips were used at the end of 1944 until 04/45. Both serial numbers fall within that range. "Both serial numbers" if it has one serial number on the frame and one serial number on the slide it is a mismatch. One put together from what ever parts were available at the time, perhaps not even assembled by Walther workers, but by soldiers looting the factory, The last recorded serial number before production stopped was 397000P. I'm not a collector so I will not even try and give a value. I think the value would be reduced by the fact of the mismatched parts however the grips may be worth more then the gun. The fact that it has no proof markings ( you listed none ) nor acceptance markings ( you listed none ) leads me to believe that it is indeed a scrap or looted gun. A picture is needed before any valid value can be given, also does it have any magazines, holster? BTW if you had used the research feature at the top of the forum you would understand what information is really need for proper identification. Original Walther PPs and PPKs were made in a bewildering array of finishes, markings, calibers ( 3 ), types of medal used , grips. Markings that indicate a military or other official usage command a premium. We have several collectors on this forum who are very knowledge on Walther's. In fact I would not be surprised if they were able to tell you the cup size of the foreman's wife, but they have to have enough information to go on. Pictures are really needed.:D
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

yes, i have 2 magazines. and a holster. i dont know how to attach photos yet so please be patient.

Thanks,
    Nick
  6. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

Here are pictures

Attached Files:

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is a very late war pistol, probably turned out only days before U.S. troops took over the factory. In fact the absence of both civilian and military inspection or proof marks indicates that the gun was assembled from parts at the factory, as Americans kept the factory workers busy putting together pistols for souvenirs after the factory was taken over. (Since it was in the Russian zone, they later took it over and shipped the machinery to Suhl.)

I will let someone else comment on value.

(Hilde Schulz took a 42D.)

Jim
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  8. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

Jim,
    Does that mean it is not worth anything?
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, it's definitely a put together pistol made from parts found in the factory by GIs when they captured the plant. The value of these has been climbing in the past few years. Since this one has a spare mag, wood grips and a holster, it is worth more than the average mismatched PP pistol. I would estimate its value at $600 to $700.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I concur on that value, but some folks would probably put a higher price on it. Let's wait a while. In reality, the gun will be worth whatever someone will pay for it and that can vary based on where/how it is sold - to a dealer (lowest price), consignment sale (usually fair), on-line auction (could go high if a good pitch is made).

But I can't imagine anyone selling such a family heirloom, so I assume the valuation is for insurance puposes.

Jim
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

To myself it would be valuable as a tangible piece of WWII history. The last frantic days of the Third Reich.
  12. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

Jim,
    You are correct...... It is not for sale, My grandfather said he took it from a german in france.
  13. sgtdavisnl

sgtdavisnl New Member

Well, he was in france but im not sure if that is where he met this german
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Bu the time that pistol was made, I don't believe ther were any Germans still left in france:).
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but I don't think that pistol was ever issued to any German soldier, anywhere. Another pistol, perhaps, and a 66 year old memory.

Jim