WWII Walther PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by healey1006, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. healey1006

healey1006 New Member

My Dad was in WWII where he relieved a German officer of his 7.65 mm Walther PPK. I inherited the gun and would like to know its value. It is in perfect condition with holster.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, another "perfect" 60 year old pistol. We can really get going on this one. First off, condition means percentage of bluing left on the weapon. Is it 100% as it just came from the factory? Does it have holster wear that is normal when it is carried in a holster? The grip panels have no wear at all? There are no markings on the pistol? Any proof marks you can tell us about on the pistol? Can you give us the serial number so we can find out exactly what we are talking about here? Please use the form 123,xxx. Then maybe you can post a picture so we can give you even better information? We cannot help you unless we have data to work with. Please get back to us with specifics. Thanks.

Welcome to TFF! :)
  3. healey1006

healey1006 New Member

Thanks for your response. I'll take a close look at the gun and post some follow up info and maybe a picture.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi healey 1006........welcome to TFF! :)

Also......please list all of the writing and a description of the proofmarks on the pistol.

These are very important in determining the value of WWII manufactured PPKs.

BTW....which Healey 6-banger do you have? We've got a couple of members in our Mini club who have A-Hs....one a genunine 100S and another with a '56 100-4.
  5. healey1006

healey1006 New Member

I won't have physical possession of the PPK until this weekend. I'll post all the info and possibly a picture at that time. Regarding the Healey, it's a 1958 100-6.
  6. healey1006

healey1006 New Member

Ok, I now have the gun in front of me so I can give you more detailed info. Regarding the extent of bluing loss, there is slight loss at the end of the barrel and in the trigger area. The grip handles have no wear at all. There are no scratches or blemishes to speak of anywhere on the gun. The serial number is 208056 K. The following is inscribed on one side:
    WALTHER (within a scroll) Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur.) Walther's Patent Cal. 7.65 mm. On the other side, besides the serial numbers, which appear two places, on the barrel and near the trigger, there is some sort of mark stamped in two places in the shell discharge area. The mark begins with what appears to be a Z. I can't make out the rest of it. Regarding the holster, it is not dry rotted. It is stamped D.R.G.M. with a mark above it which looks to be two crossed rifles. Below the D.R.G.M. is a round shaped area of wear with a few pin holes in the center which I'm guessing might have been from a badge or pin of some kind.

I hope this is enough information. I've attached some pictures as well. I'm not planning to sell this gun but just want a general idea of what it is worth. Thank you all.

Attached Files:

7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your PPK is prewar production and is a commercial model which was sold for civilian use and not issued to any military or police organization. However, it may have been carried by a military officer, as they often purchased their small pistols on the civilian market. The holster is a scarce shoulder type also made for civilian sales. The "DRGM" is a patent marking, and the crossed rifles are the manufacturer's logo. The pistol appears to be in nice condition and is worth about $450 plus an additional $150 for the holster, so the complete outfit is valued at around $600 give or take.
  8. Danny

Danny Member

Hi Guys: ;) Being a new member on the forum and no disrespect intended,but the ppk is worth more than that.I've been collecting those little buggers along with the pp,s and have in the past several years seen prices going up higher,even more so than Lugers,which I also have.
    The weapon is in at least 95% grade,though I must say the pics are not the best,but I see the loss at the muzzel.Which is very common.The pistol was manufactured early 1939 and as the gentleman stated a commercial unit with the crown/n proof.They started putting the eagle/n proof at the beginning months of 1940.You should take the slide off and look inside,next to the ejection port,and you will see the last 3 digits of the serial number.If you have never taken one down its really simple and the best place to go is Marstar Canada for the instructions.
    Now back to pricing.Your pistol alone is worth 800USD.If it had a finger ext mag with it you could add 200 or more to that figure.You can tell the holster is nice,and a DRGM crossed rifle shoulder holster would bring 3-400USD easy.I'm hoping this will make you happy and you have something there that if it were mine and belonged to my dad,no monies could touch it.
    Make sure you keep the weapon and holster cleaned and preserved and if you want to shoot it don't be afraid to do this as there are replacement parts availible every where,but in all my years of collecting and shooting these fine Walthers,I have never had any problems or none of my other Walther friends.Just shoot full metal jackets in them as they do have feeding problems with the hollow points,silver tips,etc.Hope this helps you some and if anyone needs any help with info on the PP,s and PPK,s,old ones that is,please do not hesitate to email me.
    Best Wishes
    Danny :)
  9. Xracer

Well gentlemen, as we all know, "real world" prices may vary due to a number of factors, but here's what the "books" say:

Blue Book:

MODEL PPK PRE-WAR PRODUCTION (.32 ACP):

98% - $625
    95% - $500
    90% - $395

Standard Catalog of Firearms:

Model PPK .32 Caliber. High Polished Finish:

Exc. - $500
    V.G. - $450
    Good - $325
  10. wonderwhippet

Yes Xracer, the prices you quote are right on. I think Danny is mistakenly pricing this commercial as though it was Waffenamted. Commercial PPK pistols go for much less than military or police variations which reach prices of about $800 to $1200 or even more. As for the holster, well, holster prices are wide open and really can't be predicted.
  11. Danny

Danny Member

Gentlemen:
    As I stated before I've been collecting for 30 years or more and I watch the Walther PPK and PP pistols like the stock market.Sure I know the prices on the WAa359 and police pistols are higher,but the quality is not always there and alot of them have been reblued,buffed and anything else to get a buyer.I do not even want a Walther after 1940.The nazi thing does not interest me in the least.Walther was shipping those things out as fast as the slave labor could make them.On the other hand prewar Walthers had better finish and workmanship involved.If you watch Auction Arms,Gunbroker,Gunsamerica and some of these other auction sites you would see what I'm talking about when collectors are trying to dry up the market.And yes the holster would bring what I stated if it were put on Ebay.
    Everything concerning Walther is a value in its self and will only continue to sky rocket.I'm new here and do not mean any disrespect to you gentlemen at all.Sure blue book will give you a price,just like a car dealership,but that does not mean thats all they will offer on trade.I would be glad to give 1200 for this rig and then in five years or so sell it for 1800.I'm hoping you guys understand that I have spent many years of research,time and money just on Walthers alone.I'm happy to find this site and thought I could lend a little help to the forum,but I will not jump in again on these matters unless someone asks for my info or help.
    My Kind Regards
    Danny PS: If you get a chance I posted my Walthers and other goodies on the C%R section of this site.You will see a 1932 PPk in the box I paid 900 for 15 years ago.Now I am receiving offers of over 3000 for it.They are a very good investment.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  12. Xracer

Hi Danny...........no problem. We disagree around here all the time. It's sort a sport here at TFF, and as long as we can agree to disagree politely and with respect (as you did)........fire away! :)

I, for one, take no umbrage with your posts. You obviously know much about PPKs than I do. My "values" come from books. If the "real world" is different, and I know it often is, don't hesitate to let us know about it.

Sooooo....bottom line.........please don't to hesitate to post your opinions.
  13. Danny

Danny Member

Thank you very much,and I will continue to monitor this site and help when I can.Once again thank you and the staff.
    Regards
    Danny :eek:
  14. healey1006

healey1006 New Member

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Healey, Danny's right on the pulse of the market, and provides for you the numbers your insurance agent needs, to indemnify you; what the piece would bring, cash money, where you live, may differ.
    I am in San Antonio, Tx, and, if on my table, the price would be aout $1200, us, and would move at $1,000-1,050, cash. I can pander it to any number of collectors, and the bottom line will remain the same.
    These are numbers based on the whole deal proving up, as original, which I have no doubt that they are, and doing a single deal for the lot.
    Welcome to our strange little part of the web! Terry
  16. wonderwhippet

Danny, I know you hang out at the PP/PPK/P38 forum, so I am somewhat surprised at your placing such a high value on this pistol. Allow me to respectfully call your attention to the following PPK rig which was offered at $795 and has found no buyers. I believe it has to come down $150 or more before it will sell. Again, let me point out that it is widely accepted that civilian rigs bring significantly lower prices than police or military rigs.

A PPK collector of 58 year's experience.
  17. wonderwhippet

18. whitt texas

whitt texas New Member

hello

i am also curious about the value of a ppk i purchased back in the late 80's for my wife. i was asking on another forum about hp ammo and received a reply that maybe i should think of it more as a collectors piece. the pistol was rated at 80 percent by the elk castle in fort worth with original bluing. it only has the standard mag and has a small crack at the base of the mag opening. any suggestions on where i can get a better estimate of value and if anyone is interested as it is for sale, preferably to someone local to the dwf texas area because i would like them to see/shoot it before selling. it has the sideways capitiol in followed by a crown on both the frame and the ejection.

on one side
    waffenfabrik walther, zella-mehlis [thur]
    walthers patent cal. 7.65 m/m
    mod ppk

other side
    860429 on the trigger guard

thanks, ron

http://community.webshots.com/album/563611441ifuWRr

sorry for the grammer, pepsi syndrome on keyboard
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  19. mnpcap

mnpcap New Member

Guys,

I've had a PPK in my safe for some 20+ years and only recently started researching it. I have enjoyed your forum and have learned the following from you..............
    The details are as follows:

Wartime finish
    loop on bottom(behind mag well)
    very good condition 95% ++, as rated by reputable dealers

left side

waffenfabrik walther, zella-mehlis [thur]
    walthers patent cal. 7.65 m/m
    Mod PPK
    E/C
    60 degree safety
    Black plastic wrap around grip, no cracks, (screw r to l)

Right side

E/N-ejection port
    E/N-frame
    s/n 405xxxK located on slide and on frame, forward of grip (Walther Banner on grip)

My question isss..........

Where the trigger guard hinges (is pinned at the frame) behind the trigger, the frame thickness measures .631 inches, considerably thicker than other
    other pistols I have seen. Others seem to be machined thinner at this point requiring a shorter hinge pin.
    After extensive Data mining, I just haven't been able to find anything addressing this observation. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  20. jdahunt

jdahunt New Member

Can anyone give me any information on this PPK as to when it may have been made and such. Serial number is 001942

walther PPK serial number 001942.JPG