WWII Walther PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by healey1006, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Danny, I know you hang out at the PP/PPK/P38 forum, so I am somewhat surprised at your placing such a high value on this pistol. Allow me to respectfully call your attention to the following PPK rig which was offered at $795 and has found no buyers. I believe it has to come down $150 or more before it will sell. Again, let me point out that it is widely accepted that civilian rigs bring significantly lower prices than police or military rigs.

A PPK collector of 58 year's experience.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

3. whitt texas

whitt texas New Member

hello

i am also curious about the value of a ppk i purchased back in the late 80's for my wife. i was asking on another forum about hp ammo and received a reply that maybe i should think of it more as a collectors piece. the pistol was rated at 80 percent by the elk castle in fort worth with original bluing. it only has the standard mag and has a small crack at the base of the mag opening. any suggestions on where i can get a better estimate of value and if anyone is interested as it is for sale, preferably to someone local to the dwf texas area because i would like them to see/shoot it before selling. it has the sideways capitiol in followed by a crown on both the frame and the ejection.

on one side
    waffenfabrik walther, zella-mehlis [thur]
    walthers patent cal. 7.65 m/m
    mod ppk

other side
    860429 on the trigger guard

thanks, ron

http://community.webshots.com/album/563611441ifuWRr

sorry for the grammer, pepsi syndrome on keyboard
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. mnpcap

mnpcap New Member

Guys,

I've had a PPK in my safe for some 20+ years and only recently started researching it. I have enjoyed your forum and have learned the following from you..............
    The details are as follows:

Wartime finish
    loop on bottom(behind mag well)
    very good condition 95% ++, as rated by reputable dealers

left side

waffenfabrik walther, zella-mehlis [thur]
    walthers patent cal. 7.65 m/m
    Mod PPK
    E/C
    60 degree safety
    Black plastic wrap around grip, no cracks, (screw r to l)

Right side

E/N-ejection port
    E/N-frame
    s/n 405xxxK located on slide and on frame, forward of grip (Walther Banner on grip)

My question isss..........

Where the trigger guard hinges (is pinned at the frame) behind the trigger, the frame thickness measures .631 inches, considerably thicker than other
    other pistols I have seen. Others seem to be machined thinner at this point requiring a shorter hinge pin.
    After extensive Data mining, I just haven't been able to find anything addressing this observation. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  5. jdahunt

jdahunt New Member

Can anyone give me any information on this PPK as to when it may have been made and such. Serial number is 001942

walther PPK serial number 001942.JPG
  6. gunguy1956

gunguy1956 New Member

Nice picture. The serial number indicates that this may have been produced pre-WWII, but is a civilian model. The civilian model is considerably less collectible than the officer's model with matte finish and military proof marks. I would estimate that if the bore condition is as mint as the photo suggests, that the value would be about $400-500 to a private collector, $350-450 to a gun shop or pawn broker, and $500-600 in a retail setting- like from a dealer in a formal gun show setting. Military models with paper importation documentation would be worth about $300-500 more. Nice piece.
    -gunguy
  7. Danny

Danny Member

There were no PPKs listed in that sn range. It should have a 1 in front of the serial number. Looking closer at the pistol I can see where there are slight mill marks, All the PPKs I have & the ones I have researched in the C/N lot have a high gloss look with no mill marks. So I think someone has removed the number 1 which would make it an early million series pistol. Once again your SN is bogus and has been altered. This could be an issue with the ATF.
    The serial numbers for the PPKs are as follows. First production is 752000 up to 1000000. There were 10,000 made in the million series and then Walther started with number 172000k up to 262722k, which was the last C/N pistol. Then in 1940 the C/N was changed to the E/N pistols, both in the PPK or PP handguns. So since your pistol has been altered, which again is a crime to alter a sn on any weapon, my judgement would put it in a shooter grade class worth no more than 350 at best.
    It really is ashame someone would do this to such a fine collector grade Walther that could have been priced over 1k dollars. Hope this helps?
    Danny
  8. jdahunt

jdahunt New Member

This is my grandfathers gun....there is a 1 in front of the 001, its barely visable. He took it to a gun show last weekend and was offered $1,000.00 for it but turned it down. The collector told him it may have had one shot fired in it if any.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it by the serial numbers.
  9. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hello,
    Its called a million series PPK. Really looks great & should fetch 1500 or more as there were only 10,000 made and yours has a low SN. Hope this helps?
    Danny
  10. ductape

ductape New Member

Danny
    I'm new to this forum so bare with me.

I also have PPK. Can you give me some info on it if you don't mind.
    Serial #322372 k
    Two stamped markings on left side with WaA359 (I think)
    Two stamped markings (eagle?) on right side with a N under them (looks like).
    Holster is blackish brown belt loop type with over flap(complete gun enclosure). It has pockets with 2 cleaning brushes and a brush rod adapter(don't know what to call it,brushes screw onto the end to clean barrel)

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Doug
  11. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Doug,
    First of all welcome to this great gun forum. Your pistol was manufactued in late 1940. That was the year the C/N was removed and the E/N started to be stamped on all weapons of the Germany. The WaA359 means it was accepted by the German Army. These pistols are sought more by collectors than the ones without this marking. As far as the holster goes it sounds like a post war one. If you could post some pics I could give you a good estimate on the price. Check the grip real good for signs of stress cracks, as if there is some it will decrease the value of this fine handgun. Hope this tad of info helps & you and your family have a Great Easter.
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  12. ductape

ductape New Member

Thanks Danny
    See if this works. It's probably not the best shape, been around the block. Some bluing missing in areas. some minor surface pitting front end left side. No cracks in grip that I can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doug
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  13. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hi Doug,
    From looking at the pics your pistol would to me grade 85% and a little more if the grig strap still has bluing on it. The spots on the pistol look like blood stains to me, but then to if pop is splassed on it without removal fast, it will do the same thing.
    I really think your holster is a Bulgarian post war. I could be wrong, however I have never seen a war time or prewar holster like that. All cleaning rods were one peice except for long arms, K98's etc.
    If it were my gun with those markings & condition 1200 or more on an auction site. Hope this helps?
    Regards
    Danny:)
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I believe the holster is Spanish, though I am known to wrong now and then. The Spanish made a very similar holster for their Astra mod. 400. TJ
  15. ductape

ductape New Member

Thanks everyone.
    The ppk come into my hands by either uncle or grandfather(not sure) years ago. I
    remember going to the local dump & shooting the ppk and also a German Luger, but that was many many years ago. Along with it I have inherited a home made heavy made belt with metals and or badges attached (close to a dozen) from the WWII. I thank you for the responses.

Doug
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009