WWII Walther PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by healey1006, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunguy1956

gunguy1956 New Member

Nice picture. The serial number indicates that this may have been produced pre-WWII, but is a civilian model. The civilian model is considerably less collectible than the officer's model with matte finish and military proof marks. I would estimate that if the bore condition is as mint as the photo suggests, that the value would be about $400-500 to a private collector, $350-450 to a gun shop or pawn broker, and $500-600 in a retail setting- like from a dealer in a formal gun show setting. Military models with paper importation documentation would be worth about $300-500 more. Nice piece.
    -gunguy
  2. Danny

Danny Member

There were no PPKs listed in that sn range. It should have a 1 in front of the serial number. Looking closer at the pistol I can see where there are slight mill marks, All the PPKs I have & the ones I have researched in the C/N lot have a high gloss look with no mill marks. So I think someone has removed the number 1 which would make it an early million series pistol. Once again your SN is bogus and has been altered. This could be an issue with the ATF.
    The serial numbers for the PPKs are as follows. First production is 752000 up to 1000000. There were 10,000 made in the million series and then Walther started with number 172000k up to 262722k, which was the last C/N pistol. Then in 1940 the C/N was changed to the E/N pistols, both in the PPK or PP handguns. So since your pistol has been altered, which again is a crime to alter a sn on any weapon, my judgement would put it in a shooter grade class worth no more than 350 at best.
    It really is ashame someone would do this to such a fine collector grade Walther that could have been priced over 1k dollars. Hope this helps?
    Danny
  3. jdahunt

jdahunt New Member

This is my grandfathers gun....there is a 1 in front of the 001, its barely visable. He took it to a gun show last weekend and was offered $1,000.00 for it but turned it down. The collector told him it may have had one shot fired in it if any.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it by the serial numbers.
  4. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hello,
    Its called a million series PPK. Really looks great & should fetch 1500 or more as there were only 10,000 made and yours has a low SN. Hope this helps?
    Danny
  5. ductape

ductape New Member

Danny
    I'm new to this forum so bare with me.

I also have PPK. Can you give me some info on it if you don't mind.
    Serial #322372 k
    Two stamped markings on left side with WaA359 (I think)
    Two stamped markings (eagle?) on right side with a N under them (looks like).
    Holster is blackish brown belt loop type with over flap(complete gun enclosure). It has pockets with 2 cleaning brushes and a brush rod adapter(don't know what to call it,brushes screw onto the end to clean barrel)

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Doug
  6. Danny

Danny Member

Hello Doug,
    First of all welcome to this great gun forum. Your pistol was manufactued in late 1940. That was the year the C/N was removed and the E/N started to be stamped on all weapons of the Germany. The WaA359 means it was accepted by the German Army. These pistols are sought more by collectors than the ones without this marking. As far as the holster goes it sounds like a post war one. If you could post some pics I could give you a good estimate on the price. Check the grip real good for signs of stress cracks, as if there is some it will decrease the value of this fine handgun. Hope this tad of info helps & you and your family have a Great Easter.
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  7. ductape

ductape New Member

Thanks Danny
    See if this works. It's probably not the best shape, been around the block. Some bluing missing in areas. some minor surface pitting front end left side. No cracks in grip that I can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doug
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  8. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hi Doug,
    From looking at the pics your pistol would to me grade 85% and a little more if the grig strap still has bluing on it. The spots on the pistol look like blood stains to me, but then to if pop is splassed on it without removal fast, it will do the same thing.
    I really think your holster is a Bulgarian post war. I could be wrong, however I have never seen a war time or prewar holster like that. All cleaning rods were one peice except for long arms, K98's etc.
    If it were my gun with those markings & condition 1200 or more on an auction site. Hope this helps?
    Regards
  9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I believe the holster is Spanish, though I am known to wrong now and then. The Spanish made a very similar holster for their Astra mod. 400. TJ
  10. ductape

ductape New Member

Thanks everyone.
    The ppk come into my hands by either uncle or grandfather(not sure) years ago. I
    remember going to the local dump & shooting the ppk and also a German Luger, but that was many many years ago. Along with it I have inherited a home made heavy made belt with metals and or badges attached (close to a dozen) from the WWII. I thank you for the responses.

Doug
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  11. Danny

Danny Member

12. ConnCarl

ConnCarl New Member

Hi guys, can you help me with the production place/year of this pistol and an approximate value?

It's a 7.65 mm PPK, s/n 212XXX K, with "crown-over-N" proofs, brown wraparound grips, high polish finish, and about 90% bluing, mostly holster wear near the muzzle and one or two scratches.

Thanks! Carl
  13. Danny

Danny Member

:)Hi Carl,
    Your pistol was also manufactured in 1939, the last of the C/N pistols.
    We really would like to see it, if possible? I can give ya a ballpark of 1 grand without seeing it. The pistols sounds very nice. Hope this helps some?
  14. ConnCarl

ConnCarl New Member

Danny:

Thanks for the prompt reply. These pics aren't the best, but, they'll give you some idea of the shape it's in.

Thanks! Carl

Attached Files:

15. Danny

Danny Member

:)Carl the looks like from the wear is not that bad and I would consider it over 90%. So the dollar figure would jump on this late commercial. If you had a holster and finger ext mag it would be a 1500 dollar collector. Given five years from now 18 to 2 grand, as these pistols R like money in the bank without pa:)ying taxes.
    Keep it oiled and put it in a safe place and have the sn logged somewhere in case someone wants it without paying for it.
    Regards
    Danny
    PS: I have the above mentioned items if you need them. PM me.
  16. ConnCarl

ConnCarl New Member

Thanks, Danny, I appreciate it!

Carl
  17. tsmith7251

tsmith7251 New Member

Guys I need some help on a PPK I am looking to sell and/or trade.

I have done a little research and this is what I have found.
    I belive this PPK was built in 1941-42, during Hitler’s height over Germany and when the Third Reich was at its highest. I think this pistol is a Deutsch Reich bank gun that the Nazi party controlled. The weapon has matching serial numbers on the magazine, bore and outside housing. The commercial proofs are a Crown over an N. The black grips and finger extension are perfect as is the bore and mechanical workings ( I have shot hundreds of rounds through it). The safety lever swings through a 90 degree Arc. The serial number is 343xxxk and to make this even rarer it is a 22 cal. This is the correct holster and magazine. I am looking for a guess on the cost, I have been told that at a low amount it may be 2-3k. What do you think? please email me at tsmith7251@comcast.net if you can help. I have added a few pictures so you can see it some. If I need others for you please let me know what will help.

Attached Files:

18. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

What makes you think it's a "Deutch Reich bank gun"? All I can see is that it's a 1939-1940 manufactured commercial .22 caliber PPK. It's in decent condition and would probably bring between $1000 and $1400. Incidentally, the holster is not of German origin.
  19. tsmith7251

tsmith7251 New Member

I beg to differ with you on the holster. This gun was given to me by my Grandfather who said it was taken from a soldier when he was in the military. While this does not always mean that it was not purchased as an addon, the gun fits exactly, and the magazine fits perfect. The research that I have found is that the bank guns were special issue and the magazines were serialed number to the gun. It also said that the 22 was the common choice for the banks. It is hard for you to see it but on the first picture the finger extension on the the serial number is stamped.
  20. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I just went back to study my Rankin books on Walther pistols, and he discusses. the PPK .22 guns on page 70 in his first volume,"Walther Models Pp and PPK 1929-1945." According to Rankin, PPK .22 pistols were only manufactured in commercial versions. He even lists some known serial numbers, including 343714K and 343766K, which are close to your pistol's serial number which is 343957K. Incidentally, your safety is not a ninety degree type, but the later 60 degree style. As for the holster, I'll leave that to others to comment on. Incidentally, I recently bought a 1941 PPK .22 in 98% condition with two mags and original holster for $1400. Hey Danny, let's have your comments.