WWII Walther PPK Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by healey1006, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1061

s1061 New Member

Same story as most. Grandfather pulled this from a deceased soldier. What is it and what may it be worth? I have a holster, but don't have it right now. Thanks guys!
    Trouble with pictures but it has black handles, eagle/N, banner and rpk 7.62 on mag. Serial number is 429484K. It has been recently test fired and has a minor crack on back.

Thanks again for any ideas on value.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

There are quite a few pistols which could fit your very rough description, so your question cannot be answered. A few good photos will clear things up.
  3. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

Great forum! I could spend countless hours browsing around.

I have Walther PPK 7.65 that is practically falling into my lap. My father-in-law is looking to sell his father's gun because he needs the cash. I'm trying to figure out what the gun is worth so I can give him fair market value. The story is that he got it off a german solider in WWII, I'll let the experts detrimine that.

Serial number 923438, blueing looks to be in good shape, grip is chipped below saftey. Holster is from Bianchi Gunleather and someone wrote on it and wrote the same number on the clip. The writing is most likey from the police with my Father-in-laws father had the gun stolen and returned by police some years later (very lucky)

The pictures of the gun are in my album in my profile PPK 7.65.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat
  4. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

I think I figured out how to put some pics up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holster is LH.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The holster is a right-hand inside waistband holster.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Are there any proof marks such as a Crown over an N or an Eagle over an N unable to see them in the photos. If the proof marks are a Crown over a N then 1938, Unfortunately The gun has also been refinished with a aftermarket magazine, and has lost value to die hard collector. I Would guess 350 to 450. If the grips were uncracked and the magazine had the correct finger rest, they alone would be worth 2 to 250, maybe more..
  7. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

Ahhh, Thanks. That makes more sense. I'm more of a shotgun, varmit rifle and archery guy. However I been thinking about picking up a hand gun, hopefully this works out, I would love to have a wwII gun.
  8. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

Where would the proof marks be? There is something right below where the shell casings eject but I can't make it out. I will try to get a close op picture of it.
  9. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

Proof marks??? Or scuff mark???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The gun has been reblued.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It seems that the gun has been so heavily buffed when it was re blued that any markings have been obviated. Please revise my estimate of value down to around 300.Could be wrong, been wrong before, but the only value now is as a shooter or carry gun.
  12. Patman75

Patman75 New Member

Thank you guys for your input. So to sum it up...

I have a Pre World War II german issued gun that has been repolished to death and reblued. Collector value is maybe $300-450. Still a neat gun and hopefully it shoots. Sound right?

Hopefully I can keep it in the family.
  13. JPG64D

JPG64D New Member

Gentlemen: A great deal of good information. I too have a PPK with WWII papers, looking for thoughts on value. Frame and Slide serial numbers are different. I had been told that it was taken off the line and soldiers grabbed what they could, but who knows. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jon IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg
  14. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

JPG64D, your gun appears to have been nickel or chrome plated at some point. Walther NEVER finished these late war guns that way. Having the capture papers is very good for its collectors value; the plating is bad for it. Personally, I have no idea what that works out to. Sorry not to be more helpful.
  15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As Lanrezac has posted it has been plated, looks like chrome. Your pistol was made in the last weeks of production and because the slide and frame has different serial numbers, it shows parts were taken off the production line or parts boxes and assembled.. The last recorded serial number was 397000P in April 1945. Value now is what ever the market will bear, I would guess 250 to 350 as a nice carry gun.
  16. wonderwhippet

I believe that many of these mismatched parts came out rejected parts bins. They were hastily assembled into complete pistols without being properly fitted and adjusted. It is certain they were not even test fired. I would advise against shooting any of these under any circumstances.
  17. old fart 54

old fart 54 Member

I also have a PP model that on the left side says waffenfabrik walther, zella-mehlis (thur) above. below that walthers patent 7.65mm. Mod pp just below the mod pp is a eagle with WA 359 and about a 1/4 in below the mag release another eagle with WA 359. on the right side on the slide is also a stamped eagle and above it on the barrel even with the one on the slide is another eagle. The serial number is on the right side on both the slide and the frame 235xxxP. Have to wait till the boss lady gets back to do pics as she knows how I don't
  18. wonderwhippet

When the GIs overran the factory they found a bunch of parts which I believe were rejects off the assembly line. They had the workers assemble the parts into a complete pistol. These were not properly finished or test fired. Not much interest to collectors and not really something you should be shooting.
  19. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The acceptance marks WaA359 was first used in 1941 and your PP dates to 1941.There should be a couple of Eagles over an N. which are proof marks.
  20. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I've often heard that GI's grabbed handful of parts and made themselves a pistol. Somehow I don't find that very realistic, if they were assembled, then it was by the workers in the plant for sale or trade to the rich GI's. The parts may have come from the reject bin or the assembly line but 99 and 9/10 of the American GI's would not have the foggiest ideal or the tools to assemble the parts to make a working PP or PPK. Now it is possible that a GI grabbed a complete receiver and a complete slide assembly and put them together. That makes as much sense as anything.?? Just thinking and typing.:)