XD owners

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Mar 7, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I've got a little bit of money saved away and I'd like to expand my collection. I was thinking about an XD. What kind of XD's do you guys have/carry? Which one would you recommend for carrying?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I have the compact 4" gun in .45acp (its the full size frame with the short slide and barrel) I love it. Its very accurate and utterly reliable and will shoot decent even with cheap crap ammo. When I am in te mood to carry something other than a 1911 i carry the XD

3. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

Mar 31, 2009
    N.W. Arkansas
    I have the XD sub compact 3" 9mm and I'm extremely pleased with it's accuracy. It doesn't feel like a small pistol in my hands. I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

4. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I also have the 9mm SubCompact and it is by far the best gun I have ever bought. It is superior to a Glock in every way. I use the small magazine with it with the Pearce grip extension and I carry it in a Bianchi Leather IWB holster. I have been using this setup for my ccw for over a year now and I am extremely happy.

It took a lot of other guns not meeting my needs before I got the XD. Springfield is a great company that cares about it's perception.

5. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Utah
    I have the compact 45, but will probably get the full size 5 in model, I want somehting a bit slimmer when carrying. I like the gun alot and will have the full size for home.

6. hogger129

Nov 29, 2009
    I went over to Gander Mountain to look at a few. They wanted like $700 or more for them. That seems like alot. There's another store in Sun Prarie I'm going to go check out next weekend. I kinda want the XD-M if I can get it in a .45ACP. The full size looked like a big gun. I think if anything my ideal XD is a compact in .45ACP if I can get the XD-M in that. Are they pretty lightweight in comparison to other polymer pistols? I have always thought of Springfield as a top notch quality firearm.

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    not sure if they offer the M in a .45. I know they make it in 9mm and .40

8. hogger129

Nov 29, 2009
    Yeah I'd definitely want a .45. No offense to 9mm or .40. Have you had any experience with the XD Tactical .45? Looked like it was the full size but had a shorter grip. Does the XD print at all when you guys carry it? That's one thing I always liked about my 1911. It doesn't feel like I'm trying to fit a 2" wide pop bottle in the back of my pants.

I also heard Springfield gives you a holster, magazine loader and spare magazine holder with the gun. Seems like you get a good deal with their products. I might now be tempted to save up for an M1A.

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    Thats about the only difference. Its a little more concealable. Im sure it is just as accurate and reliable as the standard XD. I practice alot with my .45s and when i do clearing drills I find the XD will consistently load into battery fired casings. The reliablility of the design is uncanny and unrivaled in my experience with firearms. It is just a major bonus that the pistol is also very accurate...

10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ohio
    You will never find a fair price at a Gander mountain. Arrogant sales people who know little and high prices.

11. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Here in Vegas the regular XD's are around 500-550 and the XD M is around 700

12. cakes

cakes New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Northern Maine
    For a carry gun, an XD with a 4" barrel and compact grip is the way to go.

I only have two XDs, but I've had them for a few years. One is black, and the other is bi-tone. The finish of the bi-tone is far superior to the black finish. The black finish showed holster wear very quickly(safariland 6280), and the gun now looks very old. The bi-tone resisted wear a lot longer, and still looks nice. I've had them since 2004-5? I strongly recommend the bi-tone finish.

13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Here at TFF
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Indiana
    Are the sales people arrogant? I can never get them to quit their conversation with each other to come talk to me. :rolleyes:

Realistically, I've found a good price at Gander Mountain on one firearm ever, and I wish I had picked it up then. They had a brand new two-tone SIG P238 (Colt Mustang clone) for $499. I left, expecting to find a better price elsewhere. As it turned out, no where else seems to have them in stock, and when they do, they're $550 or more.

I will go there because of the extensive selection, not because I like the people or the prices.

15. Dougspop

Dougspop New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have the 9mm sub compact for carry and it is just the right gun for me. Shoots very good and is light to carry. I also have a 9mm XDm that I like very much.

I paid $480 for my SC and $580 for my M. plus tax.