XD owners

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Mar 7, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I've got a little bit of money saved away and I'd like to expand my collection. I was thinking about an XD. What kind of XD's do you guys have/carry? Which one would you recommend for carrying?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have the compact 4" gun in .45acp (its the full size frame with the short slide and barrel) I love it. Its very accurate and utterly reliable and will shoot decent even with cheap crap ammo. When I am in te mood to carry something other than a 1911 i carry the XD
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

I have the XD sub compact 3" 9mm and I'm extremely pleased with it's accuracy. It doesn't feel like a small pistol in my hands. I don't think you can go wrong for the price.
  4. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I also have the 9mm SubCompact and it is by far the best gun I have ever bought. It is superior to a Glock in every way. I use the small magazine with it with the Pearce grip extension and I carry it in a Bianchi Leather IWB holster. I have been using this setup for my ccw for over a year now and I am extremely happy.

It took a lot of other guns not meeting my needs before I got the XD. Springfield is a great company that cares about it's perception.
  5. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I have the compact 45, but will probably get the full size 5 in model, I want somehting a bit slimmer when carrying. I like the gun alot and will have the full size for home.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I went over to Gander Mountain to look at a few. They wanted like $700 or more for them. That seems like alot. There's another store in Sun Prarie I'm going to go check out next weekend. I kinda want the XD-M if I can get it in a .45ACP. The full size looked like a big gun. I think if anything my ideal XD is a compact in .45ACP if I can get the XD-M in that. Are they pretty lightweight in comparison to other polymer pistols? I have always thought of Springfield as a top notch quality firearm.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

not sure if they offer the M in a .45. I know they make it in 9mm and .40
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yeah I'd definitely want a .45. No offense to 9mm or .40. Have you had any experience with the XD Tactical .45? Looked like it was the full size but had a shorter grip. Does the XD print at all when you guys carry it? That's one thing I always liked about my 1911. It doesn't feel like I'm trying to fit a 2" wide pop bottle in the back of my pants.

I also heard Springfield gives you a holster, magazine loader and spare magazine holder with the gun. Seems like you get a good deal with their products. I might now be tempted to save up for an M1A.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats about the only difference. Its a little more concealable. Im sure it is just as accurate and reliable as the standard XD. I practice alot with my .45s and when i do clearing drills I find the XD will consistently load into battery fired casings. The reliablility of the design is uncanny and unrivaled in my experience with firearms. It is just a major bonus that the pistol is also very accurate...
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You will never find a fair price at a Gander mountain. Arrogant sales people who know little and high prices.
  11. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Here in Vegas the regular XD's are around 500-550 and the XD M is around 700
  12. cakes

cakes New Member

For a carry gun, an XD with a 4" barrel and compact grip is the way to go.

I only have two XDs, but I've had them for a few years. One is black, and the other is bi-tone. The finish of the bi-tone is far superior to the black finish. The black finish showed holster wear very quickly(safariland 6280), and the gun now looks very old. The bi-tone resisted wear a lot longer, and still looks nice. I've had them since 2004-5? I strongly recommend the bi-tone finish.
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Are the sales people arrogant? I can never get them to quit their conversation with each other to come talk to me. :rolleyes:

Realistically, I've found a good price at Gander Mountain on one firearm ever, and I wish I had picked it up then. They had a brand new two-tone SIG P238 (Colt Mustang clone) for $499. I left, expecting to find a better price elsewhere. As it turned out, no where else seems to have them in stock, and when they do, they're $550 or more.

I will go there because of the extensive selection, not because I like the people or the prices.
  15. Dougspop

Dougspop New Member

I have the 9mm sub compact for carry and it is just the right gun for me. Shoots very good and is light to carry. I also have a 9mm XDm that I like very much.

I paid $480 for my SC and $580 for my M. plus tax.