1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

XREP...

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by SnakeByte, Jul 11, 2007.

1. SnakeByte

SnakeByte New Member

Sadly, it's a republican that normally says statements like that. Btw, I'm a republican, although I try to keep an open mind (Thus the post in this forum).

I was simply asking if this was a good idea and wanted to bounce some ideas off of those with more knowledge than I when it comes to firearms. You know.. what a forum is for?

Lets try to keep the personal attacks out of this and focus on the topic, okay?
  2. SnakeByte

SnakeByte New Member

Okay, so I guess there's a difference here that I'm becoming aware of. Self-defense vs what to do when someone has broken into your house yet takes off running when you come around the corner.

With the taser shot, you'd could still shoot the perp, while with a regular load, you'd have to let them go.

Guys, I'm not sold on the taser idea here... I was just looking for educated opinions on the pros and cons.

From what I've read so far, the only thing anyone has said against the taser shot idea itself is that there's a chance it might not work and leave one vulnerable. Loading up a weapon with more than one shot should take care of that risk, especially if you fill up the rest of the firearm with regular shot.

If cops use tasers, then certainly there are circumstances where the public should too, right?

I should probably be asking a legal forum or a police officers forum instead since I'm sure the people who have responded so far are neither, or have never actually shot and killed someone in their home.
  3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Let me explain how it is in Alabama. If somebody breaks into my house I will shoot them, period. Yes, I'm a combat vet.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Man, I mean this most respectfully....but listen to what you are saying.

From the start you are going down the wrong track. Startling an intruder as you "come around the corner"? Stay put and wait on the cops, guy.

Shooting a shotgun at a fleeing burglar is asking to get a civil suit/criminal charge. Ask a prosecutor about shooting anyone in the back! Especially in California. Taser ammo plus conventional loads...it would not be far fetched to paint you to a jury as a wacko-wannabe if it helps get a conviction.

Traumatizing your kid? I'm a dad too. How are you going to quietly blast taser shells into a burglar anyway? How are you going to keep the horde of cops and EMTs from inrerrupting bedtime routine? Kids will be scared no matter what.

Anyway, if you want to taser a burglar...get a dang taser. What you do in your home is your business. We did give our opinions on pros/cons.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  5. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I'm sorry about the "personal attack", I looked at it after and have the mind set "well it's said, oh well" hence why I did not delete it....

(next one that quote that touched home"- You shoot until the target is down...Especially in your house, with unhonorable intentions

And third, (some quote in there somewhere...there were a few) if someone breaks into your house, you have no idea why other then they are a punk, would you want them breaking into some other house after he gets off your court case? Come on....it happens, Drop em...wont happen again....

Again...sorry for the insult that i didn't look deeper into...
  6. travihanson

travihanson New Member

And yes...I am core republican ;-)
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

SnakeByte, delta13soultaker is dead on the money, so to speak.

A prosecutor is going to go to town with any shooting in the back. He's also going to go to town with any "less-than-lethal" rounds mixed with lethal rounds.

If you come upon a bad guy and he runs, then sit tight and call the cops. First person to call usually wins, it seems. If you let the bad guy call, he's going to tell his load of manure and you'll be seen as a whacko with a gun, especially in California.

A recent article in Guns magazine (at least, I think that's where I read it) calls it "posting up." First thing you do when someone comes in your house is gather the family together in a defensible room and "post up." To "post up" is to get behind even partial cover, covering any entrances to the room and pick up your cell phone and dial 911. DON'T go hunting the bad guys unless you're trained to do so. Some of the members here, such as delta13, ARE trained to do so. They know best how to clear their own house. If you are not trained to clear a house, the best advice is to "post up" call the cops and inform the bad guy in a clear, loud voice that you have done so and are armed. *IF* the bad guy then chooses to enter a room that he has been informed contains an armed homeowner, then he has made a CHOICE to lose his life. Don't shoot to harm. Don't shoot to kill. Shoot to live. That means "stop the threat." Period. Keep firing until the threat is GONE. At most, your child has a small bit of a scare from someone breaking in and has heard some loud noises. He'll also remember that Daddy gave the BG a chance and Daddy defended his family, namely HIM.
  8. durk

durk New Member

Possibilities? Scared son or dead family? Are you really going to rely on neighborhood crime stats to make a choice? Are killers not allowed in you neighborhood? So a bg breaks into your house and only steals things. Are you ok with that? As I am shooting the SOB, I will be telling him to get a job and buy his own stuff. A job that he will now not be able to perform because of his room-temperature status! I guess he could be a smelly doorstop or a biodegradable anchor. BTW I live 5 houses down from a cop in a pretty nice neighborhood and have all guns loaded with real bullets.