Ya never know who yer talking to.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I've been doing business with a guy from the UW here for years.
    He's of Polish background (not that it matters).

Last week he called me wanting a price for a Zurn floor drain (he's a plumber and I'm a supplier). He says, "I need a price on a 1022".

Needless to say, the question was ripe with response. :p

I told him, "Ruger makes a mighty fine 1022" (trying to be a smart azz). To which he replies, "OH YEAH! I got one one those when I was a kid. It's a great rifle and we take it every time we go camping for plinking".

A week later, he asked me if I had a good fathers day. I told him I boiled up a beef tongue. I was expecting a horrific response.

Much to my suprise, he says " I LOVE beef tongue! I remember as a kid this one place in Chicago that had the best tongue in the world! I used to get pickled tongue from them on line. They don't offer it any more." :(

I asked him how he got a 1022 in Chicago and he said he got it in Cali after they moved. Musta been years ago.

In short, never be suprised by who ya don't know. :D
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Make three copies of that, and carry one in your wallet. ;)

If it had been me calling you, and I mentioned I like Brains & Scrambled eggs, your reply woulda been?
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is a very SMALL world anymore.
  4. LyleLovett666

LyleLovett666 Former Guest

It's the little things that make grand.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bobitis, not to jack your thread but for a brief time I was a car salesman in the late 80's. A bag lady was wandering in the lot and no one would aknowledge her. I went out to help her and shook her hand as if she was anyone else. She wanted to drive a Cadillac. I went to get the keys and the manager was fuming and said to come to his office when I got back. He said that we don't give THOSE people rides. He was mad.

To make a long story short, she was a multi-millionaire and purposely dressed that way and went to several car lots where she could look at cars without being bothered. However out of all the lots that morning I was the only salesman who came out to shake her hand and greet her. She paid full sticker price for the Cadillac and purchased every addition road protection product available therefore helping my commissions. She came back after the purchase and stuck $100.00 in my shirt pocket and thanked me.

Your right, you never know who your talking to.
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

you can sure learn a lot about the people around you if you keep an open mind and give them all a fair shake.

Jim, I would have done the same thing and been very happy even if she wasn't rich.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep. for me it was a chance to meet someone, homeless or not. I was raised to treat everyone the same.
  8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

when I was 16, working in a restaurant, the cook would always tell me "no matters how much it hurts, always tell the truth". at the time thought he was just weird. couple years down the road, his mug in the paper. Turns out he was the leader of the clan in jersey.
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

"Never judge a book by it's cover", if you do you'll miss a lot of good books, goes for people too.

The Golden Rule - I always try to treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated in return.

It really doesn't cost you anything to be nice. :)
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I was a carpet cleaner for 22yrs and I went to a house one time.It was 90 degrees and she answered the door in a snowmobile suit.I couldnt believe it.You couldnt see the floor and I told her she would have to pick up and call and make a new appointment.She looked at me and said youll come back even after I failed.I said I sure will,well a month later she called me back and when I got there someone let me in and the woman was drunk and passed out at the dinner table and went face first into a plate of spagetti.same snowmobile suit.Never the less i cleaned her carpet.Then I called the police and told them how she was living and they went by and did a courtesy check.I talked to a detective a few weeks later and found out she was in the nursing home.Rumor was she had alot of money and her son stole it and took off.pretty sad
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When I was around 13 I was taken on a squirrel hunting trip by a neighboring farmer. We went to a shack back in the woods, and there we met a man with a squirrel hunting chihuahua. The man was Richard Briley III. Author of "The Death of the Kingfish", and "Nightriders". I know that most of you have probably never heard of either of these books, but "The Death of the Kingfish" used to be required reading at LSU. It was a trip that I will never forget, although at that time I did not know who Richard Briley III was.
  12. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

At a place I worked at back in '99 one of the guys was leaving so we threw him a little "party". We hired a stripper! Boy, was she a hot, lush little number. I talked with her a bit and she gave me her business card with a picture of her in a bikini on it. It only had her stage name on it so I didn't know her actual name. However, a couple of months later the August issue of Playboy came out and I found that picture in the centerfold section. She was Rebecca Scott.

I still have that card and the August issue. Maybe I'll meet her again and get it autographed.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:bleh:

Gramma tried sneaking that by us when we were Hamlin TX about 45 years ago. She whipped up a bunch of scrambled eggs fer us youngins one morning. I asked "Gramma, what are those pink bits". She replied in her cackling way, "why, them's pig brains"! :halo:

Maybe if she'da said steak, I could understand. But NO!

"Them's Pig Brains".
  14. nevadal

nevadal New Member

I was raised on brains, eggs, & grits.