Yankee Doodle Colt Model 1917

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Downriver, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Downriver

Downriver New Member

This is the last of three firearms I received in trade for a Mini-14, the other two being Winchester lever actions already submitted to the forum. Of the three, this is the only one I’ve fired, and doing so convinced me of the wisdom of the U.S. Army adopting .45-caliber handguns a century ago. This baby packs a wallop, on both ends. Although I’m not normally a wheel-gun kinda guy, I have great respect and appreciation for the Colt.

This Colt model 1917 .45 revolver is serial number 258007, and military serial number 109919. It’s an all-numbers matching weapon, except for the penciled number under the grips. All appropriate manufacturer and military markings are in place, including Mr. Hosmer’s famous “H” inspection marks. The number 1932 appears on the piece on several components; I’m told that this was a parts-tracking number added when the gun was disassembled and worked. The bore looks strong. There is minor holster wear on the muzzle, and a small nick on the top of the barrel. The ejector rod head is a recent but hopefully correct addition; there was none in place when I got the Colt.

Unfortunately, it appears that the .45 underwent a rebluing at some point in its lifetime, as the pictures would indicate. Although most of the markings continue plainly visible, someone was a little heavy handed on the frame. The rampant horse is observable but faint, and the “S-20” inspection mark above it can only be seen – at least to my aging eyes – under magnification.

So, forum, thumbs up or thumbs down? Value?

Attached Files:

2. Artemus

Artemus New Member

My Dad carried one of these during WW2.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's a decent gun, although I prefer the Smith and Wesson. As to value, I don't know, but since you already hosed that poor feller with the other two for that dang Mini, I figger you couldn't have got hurt any on this'un.
  4. Downriver

Downriver New Member

I'm getting plenty of looks, but only three total replies, and nobody as yet has offered up an educated opinion on a value. Where are you Colt guys? You revolver guys? You military arms guys? You .45 guys? Is anybody out there? If it's bad news, I can take it; I certainly had to on my two Winchesters. Thanks.
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Being reblued it will bring in the area of $600 to maybe as high as $800 in this area. On auctions on line, who knows what some body will pay if that is just what the HAVE to have. I have a 1917 S&W and they bring less. Mine is a US property one BUT was cut down for a piolet to carry in WWII and then either brought home or sold as surplus. I gave $300 for mine 5 years ago but it has some history as to the last owner being a close friend and I bought it from his estate.
  6. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Simply Awesome, Congrats........
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

No, I'm afraid no one is going to pay $600 or more for a reblued 1917 Colt. After all, it no longer has collector interest or value, so now you just have a shooter. For that kind of money you can buy a modern .45 wheelgun and still have cash left over. I think the Colt in this condition will bring a max of $400.
  8. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    wonderwhippet is correct as to a person knowledgeable in collector grade firearms BUT I watched a couple Colt 1917s sell at a local auction that had been completely redone and they brought close to $1000 EACH/ Now I have to admit the buyers were locals who bought them JUST because they were colts! At rural auctions guns bring more for some odd reason. It could be people get caught up in the bidding or who knows why but they do. I was amazed at what they brought here at Mattox Realestate Auction House but they brought well over 2 times what they were worth. The buyers came to me to buy some moon clips for them.
  9. Downriver

Downriver New Member

This is a follow-up report to my post last year asking for opinions on the value of a Colt model 1917 .45 revolver. The valuations varied widely, but all agreed that the weapon having been reblued diminished its value to collectors.

I ended up handing off the m1917 yesterday in an even trade for a Heckler Koch PSP 9mm. pistol (photo attached). My trading partner had had the PSP hard chromed and had added Trijicon night sights. The PSP came in its original box with instructions and two mags. The other guy also threw in a Remora holster.

I've been intrigued by the HK P7 series unique design since I fired one in weapons training maybe 30 years ago. The PSP certainly is a slab of steel in the hand, and I look forward to putting some rounds down range. I don't think I'll be carrying it for self-defense, but I feel I got a pretty good trade for that reblued model 1917.

Attached Files:

10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

You made out like a bandit. For a working gun like a PSP, I would think the hard chrome and night sights increase the value rather than otherwise. I also had a reblued Colt 1917 (not as skillful a job as yours) and when I sold it, I barely got half of what I paid for a minty but plain-jane H&K P7.

The Colt had a beautiful single-action trigger pull, but the P7 had sights I could actually see, and is a completely unique design to boot. Congrats!
  11. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Two completely different animals but close in value. Your P7PSP is likely one of the ones that recently flooded the market. I think they're known as "Saxony Guns". They were apparently imported as European Police "turn-ins". They were checked and/or rebuilt as needed. The nice ones were bringing $700-$800 and the worn-looking ones around $500. You can still find them on GB. They use an "A,B,C..." rating system to value them.

The only down sides to the P7PSP when compared to the P7M8 are the mag release being on the bottom (European style), and the lack of a heat shield above the trigger.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That bottom-mag-release is not a "downside", in my opinion. It works better than a trigger-guard release. It was changed because, when holstered in a car, the seat belt would sometimes activate the release. Since I don't wear my holstered in a car, I don't have to worry about that.
  13. Downriver

Downriver New Member

Despite oneshot onekill's misgivings, I'm still very happy with the deal. The PSP appears in very good shape, the barrel is nice and bright - although the chamber's 18 flutes take some getting used to seeing, the hard chrome job is perfect, and the Trijicon sights are bright enough to double as a nightlight. As I said above, I don't plan to use the HK as a carry weapon, I just am really interested in the unique design.

The icing on the cake is that my investment in that model 1917 was $0.00. When I traded a Mini-14 for two antique Winchester lever actions, the fellow just threw in the Colt at the last moment. It wasn't part of the deal as agreed and I've always considered that I got it for free.

The one thing I don't like about the PSP are those great big honking screws on the grips. Man, they are ugly. I've ordered a pair of black allen-head screws from Shockwave Technologies and I think they'll really improve the look of the pistol.
  14. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Here's what I've uncovered regarding the Mag-release when I did extensive research after buying a P7PSP myself. The P7M8 was developed later than the P7PSP for the American Market (Specifically originally the NJ State Police). The magazine release is a lever you push downward to release the magazine... Not a button you push like a Colt or other Browning designed pistol.

The German Police were having a problem with the first generation PSP's dropping their Magazines when they were pressed against the seat of the Patrol Car because the Magazine release stuck slightly out the bottom. Hence, the later generation PSP's had a Magazine release that didn't stick out but was flush with the base of the grip. FWIW...

Personally, I like the PSP better too. But only because it's generally less expensive. both are Great Pistols!

By the way... I've only ever owned a P7PSP... And Loved it!
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You misunderstand. The seatbelt was pushing in the heel-release of the PSP. That's one of the reasons the M8 was developed, and why it has the trigger-guard release.

I really prefer the "push-in" heel release of the PSP, over the "push-out" heel release of the Ruger 22/Mak/Colt M/ad nauseum.