Year? and what is it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 11Charlie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. 11Charlie

11Charlie New Member

My WWII veteran father-in-law (just passed away) willed me his somewhat old Stevens Model 311 shotgun. I can not find a serial number on it anywhere. It is a 15ga side by side made by Savage Arms. Any idea what it is worth and the year it was made?
    New to this forum, so take it easy on me!!

P.S. the gun is in fairly good shape..I would give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale.

No way am I getting rid of it, just need to insure it. My 13yr old son will acquire it hopefully years down the road.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

Pictures will be needed. Also, there is no such thing as a 15 gauge.
  3. 11Charlie

11Charlie New Member

I will post picture this evening. After further review....it is a 16ga. I used a large magnifying glass and the 6 was stamped poorly. I was going by what my wife was telling me. Should of known better.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No serial number means it was made before 1968. New law went into effect then required numbers on all guns. Before that many, if not most, inexpensive guns were not numbered.

A 311 in "good" shape should be somewhere between 3 and 5 hundred. Closer to the three end, most likely.
  5. Raybo64

Raybo64 New Member

I have stevens / savage arms 410 double barrell model 311A without a serial number. Any ideas on value?
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member