YEE HARR !!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/russia-regains-a-taste-for-roo/story-e6frfku0-1226203425753

Russia's taste for kangaroo bounces back after hygiene scare

( let's not let the chinese be the middle men this time eh??)

KANGAROO is set to bounce back on to Russian dinner tables after a two-year ban on the meat prompted by a hygiene scare, according to the Russian ambassador.
    The return of the trade would be a boost for Queensland kangaroo shooters and meat processing facilities, who have suffered badly since the 2009 import ban.
    Up to 2000 jobs could be restored, many in Queensland.
    Half a dozen factories in the state, including two in Brisbane, have been mothballed since the ban was imposed.
    "We hope this will be settled," Vladimir Morozov, Russian ambassador to Australia, told The Courier-Mail.
    "In August, Australia made a draft memorandum of understanding that was sent to Moscow. It is now with the Russian quarantine service.
    "The details are to be regulated, but it is now with the professionals, who are dealing with the Australian quarantine officials."
    The local industry gave a guarded response, saying Australian officials were still struggling to get straight answers from the Russians despite heavyweight political and diplomatic lobbying.
    "We don't believe there's any sticking point," said John Kelly, the executive officer of the Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia.
    "But AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) doesn't seem to be able to get straight answers from the Russians on what the problem is."
    Russian consumers were big fans of Aussie roo meat and accounted for up to half of Australian production.
    Mr Morozov said kangaroo was previously sold in Russian restaurants as an "exotic" meat and was also highly prized as a source of concentrated protein in the production of sausages in the east of the country.
    But Moscow clamped down after becoming unhappy with the way the meat was handled before export.
    Mr Kelly said the kangaroo "take" was now half the pre-ban level, a 25-year low.
    The return of the Russian trade would be worth about $2 million a week.
    Russian trade representative Yury Aleshin said there had previously been problems with carcasses being left around after the animals had been shot.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...oo/story-e6frfku0-1226203425753#ixzz1eU7J79ED

i know a lot of roo shooter's who gonna be real happy with this news , myself included , as the meat roo's i was getting a few years ago all went to russia ( and where all in chiller's within 2 hours i was a night shooter so it was cooler and gave me 6 hours anyway)
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Jack, I did not know that kangaroo meat was used here in the US in some products as a "by product"! Reason i know is my late uncle was a deputy sheriff and he worked a wreck of a semi hauling roo meat to a plant in the county next to us that makes "hot pockets". The driver went on to tell him that the roo meat was used as a by product or filler so to speak. IF so must be good being I like the hot pockets! LOL The company that makes them is Chef;s America here in KY in their 2 plants, one in Bath County and one in Montgomery County.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Roo is not a strong meat by any means , its very lean as roo's store fat in the base of the tail , theres none ( almost ) on the major muscle groups and thats what you eat

it can be used for lots of stuff , makes great sausage fresh and smoked and is way healthier than anything synthetic

buy it , cook it , make it taste the way you want , sell it , it's good meat
  4. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Bad news for the Roos...

[​IMG]
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

actually its good news for the roo's ( the ones that dont get made into steak )

because of the grass lands we've made here and the ammount of extra water we've added to the surface , theres more roo's now than there ever was before white man , same as the camel plague .. we cull off some the rest live way better

but as we go in cycle from flood to drought there are way too many roo's for the land and as a result millions die a horrible death , starvation or from no water ... dams help build up the numbers until the dam is dry , ..
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I wish I could go to the store and pick some up but I've never seen any. Just up the road from me they raise Bison and sell the meat Probably somewhat similar. Very low fat and very very mild flavor. Quite healthy but kind of expensive.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

should not be expensive , not for what we get paid .. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011