Yet another Iver Johnson Revolver question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by SonofCelts, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SonofCelts

SonofCelts New Member

Greetings, You guys have an awsome forum and Mr. Bill Goforth is THE MAN!!!

My Grandfather just gave me his old 38 revolver... I've read the previous tread regarding dates, and I learned alot, but i'd still like to find the actual date of this pistol. Here's what I know...

5 Round, Top Break, Revolver w/ an exposed hammer, (the hammer spring is the coil style)
    On top of thew barrel: *Iver Johnson Arm & Cycle Works Fitchburg, Mass. USA* - Bottom of triggergaurd: 76282. - Left side handle strap: G 76282. - Bottom of the handle: Top Line: ( mostly unreadable except for the last 3 digits) ----7,08. - Bottom Line: Pat PE 9/13.

I believe from what I have read that this is a third generation Safety hammer, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

double check the caliber and letter code. the "G" letter code was used on the large frame 38 caliber second model in 1898,1899 and 1902. the coil hammer spring and the patent dates indicate a third model. the "G" letter code was used on the third model small frame 32 caliber between 1915 and 1926. on the large frame 38 5 shot and 6 shot 32 the letter code used were C=1909-1917 and H=1918-1941. it is possible it is a miss marked large frame. how about a picture showing side view and serial number on left side of grip frame.
    bill
  3. SonofCelts

SonofCelts New Member

I don't know if the picture comes thru or not, but I think you are correct in that It might be a badly stamped C (C 76282) it also has the hard rubber grips (black) pistol 1.JPG

If you can use the info to tell me what year it was made, if it's safe to shoot (it seems in good working order), and if so which ammo would be best... I would surely appreciate it.

Richard
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it looks like other "C" letter codes i have seen. large frame third model serial number C76282 was manufactured in 1913. there were 6,600 of this model manufactured that year. if in good shooting condition you should not have any problem with modern factory standard velocity ammo.

the large frame third model was offered in two calibers, 5 shot cylinder 38 S&W and 6 shot cylinder 32 S&W Long.
    bill