Yippee! It's Squirrel Season again!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/16/01 8:55:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Yippee! It's Squirrel Season again!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hoosier Squirrel started Wednesday...mebbe I can get my work done Saturday and I may sneak out Sunday...

My Savage 220 12 ga single (for the movers and knocking down the spider webs when I'm walking,) the Glenfield 75C slung for when I sit, a quart of bug repellant, and my call..

Tree Cats lookout!
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/16/01 9:05:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Yippee! It's Squirrel Season again!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tree Rats.........
    "am not" R2

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/01 9:06:54 pm)
    You beat me to it LTS!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/16/01 9:12:32 pm)
    heheheh, to dang hot to hunt squirrels. Texas opens Oct 1, and we usally go the first or second weekend...making sure the weather is crisping down a little, 40`s and 50`s in the morning....mid 80`s in the high...if were lucky..............
    "am not" R2

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/17/01 4:40:27 pm)
    Shotgun for squirrels?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

polishshooter
    (8/17/01 11:13:46 pm)
    Fred - My motto is...

"12 guage...Don't leave home without it."

No Lts, Tree Rats are from Texas. Those little Ratty things they try to convince hunters taste good that came over from the ditches in Louisiana, what are they called? Luminarias or something?

We have smart and tender Grays, and Big, dumb, and tough Fox Squirrels, all are tasty! (And have BUSHY tails, not thin ugly rodent ones...)

I usually take the dumb ones, kinda like my Deer. I like to talk to them with my squirrel call too, call me Dr. Doolittleski.

And I've killed some bigger than my daughter's cat before...

My only complaint is my car has the antenna in the back window, so I can't tie my tails to it and drive around like all the Hilljacks here do during the season...

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/18/01 12:04:23 am)
    Well Polish, most of the ones we have on the river bottom are Cat Squirrels(Grays) fast, always on their way somewhere never stopping for long. Fox squirrels(Reds) will let you take their picture(stupid) we also have a third type of squirrel in the Sulphur and the Cypress/Boggy creek bottoms. Very crafty and shy, rarely seen, but more are being seen every year. Old timers called them Swamp squirrels, they are coal black and about two times the size of a large Red boar. Even though they are large, it`s easier to yank their drawers off than a old fox or cat. Three years ago we killed a little over 60 cats, still carring milk in their stomach.....pure white meat, late season crop and the best frying squirrel ever et. The old ones go into the stew. Thats why I use a scoped .22, can pick out that large rear facing "bag" dangling, know thats a tuff one and pass him by, them old one got tuff drawers and when you clean 30 or 40 a day, you don`t need the handache.....LTS
    "am not" R2

polishshooter
    (8/20/01 11:40:04 pm)
    I've had Foxes come onto my treestand before when I'm deer hunting...then they look up at me and their eyes get wild and they turn into Flying Squirrels when they jump off...don't always land 12 feet down real graceful like either...

One year I was bowhunting and had a little Fox run past me into the cornfield behind me. About a half hour later, I hear this commotion in the leaves getting closer and closer from behind me, I just KNOW it's the big buck I'd seen earlier, NOTHING could be THAT loud...I got the arrow off the holder, ready to draw and let fly, adrenaline pumping....

It was that little squirrel, with the biggest corn cob he musta been able to find in his mouth, he couldn't even lift it, he was pushing it through the dry leaves like a little bulldozer, with a big load on the blade.

Worked his butt off getting it to the same tree he came from, then ate almost the whole darn thing sitting right there at the base...left a trail that would leave an Indian tracker scratching his scalp in the leaves, too...laughed my rear off, one of those things that makes hunting great even if you don't get a shot...

I carry Judo points with me now when I bow hunt too, like to scare them...(Actually I am trying to HIT them, but haven't got one yet, but been close...)