You are the Church

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by IShootBack, Oct 24, 2012.

1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

So last night's tent meeting was more awesome than the night before, if that's possible. The speaker was a street preacher with 32 years of experience by the name of Jeff Hannon. I have known Jeff for a couple of years and did not know he was a preacher. He's a regular guy like me? {OK - that's a stretch calling me a regular guy...}

Once he stood behind the pulpit the Spirit came on him and he was a different man. One powerful point he drove home is the church is not a building or a denomination or theology or doctrine. The church in America is you and I. So when we hear folks calling radio shows saying the church in America is asleep - they are talking about me and you and anyone else that thinks of themselves as a Disciple of Jesus Christ.

That's a pretty big set of shoes to wear and I trust God will help me fill them as I should.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

So true -

I have not been to a tent meeting in YEARS - but I (almost always) enjoyed going to them.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think of 1 Peter 2:4-6:
    4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in Scripture:
    “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone,
    a cornerstone chosen and precious,
    and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

And I was reading 2 Cor 3 yesterday about how we are living letters.

Thanks for the update; glad to hear about what God is doing.
  4. captmike2

captmike2 New Member

Sounds like a good Pentecostal service... your Preacher friend is right, we are the church, it's not the brick and mortar, it's the flesh and blood of all of us. In Christ Jesus name, amen.