You can even take 'some' small game animals with it

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Boris, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

There is nothing on TV right now so I am watching some shooting show. Some yawhoo just told me I can kill some SMALL game animals with the 45LC :eek: My Paaw has been killin' stacks of deer forever with plain ole soft swagged 225 grain SWCs.

Some small game?

How do these people get on TV for crying out loud!!

Lets hear about how small the game you have got with one is!!
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    watched a cop movie one time and cop said the ak round will go completly thru a telephone pole,B.S a the ak round is ballistically the same as a 30-30 winchester and is not the monster it is said to be. old semperfi
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Boris its a similar story where ever you go

here in Australia i was told i could not take a big red kangaroo with a flinter

( after i've taken maybe a thousand of them with .75 and .50 )

i've been told i cant drop a goat with a .22 LR or .22 WMR as i cant get close enough ( 120 yards aint close enough ??)

i'm tired of explaining anatomy to folks who are experts and just concentrate on enjoying my hunting knowing many folks will shy away doing what i'm doing cause of these experts

and to all the experts , realise you dont need the biggest or best to do the job, expertise has its own quality , that the so called experts never seem to see

enjoy your hunting mate ! and thank a expert for putting a few more folks off and allowing you more game
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Well, that really isn't saying much. Most telephone poles I know of are softwood; depending on the bullet type, I think it could go through an 8 inch pole.
  5. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Once I tried a Chinese steel-core 7.62X39 against a stack of pine 2X6's....

It flipped over, broke apart, and the some of the pieces penetrated about eight inches total. If the telephone pole was eight inches of softwood, it is possible.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Talk Raido Host Tom Gresham, "Gun Talk", was asked by a caller if he could hunt deer with an AK that he had bought for home defence. Tom began a long winded account of how the 7.62X39 was totally unacceptable for hunting deer! Makes you wonder where these folks get their information? Personally, I think that these morons have so much money that they only shoot guns that cost thousands of dollars, and have no knowledge of the guns we buy, and hunt with. They all claim that the .357 Mag is not adequate, also. Last night the American Rifleman show on the Outdoor Channel was about double rifles. Now why in the world would I buy a double rifle? I simply do not have a large, dangerous game problem in my yard, and I am quite sure that I will never go to Africa to hunt them. Maybe they should get some insight form the folks that watch, and listen to their shows. Not gona happen, they are the folks with all the money, and just like those that lead us, they know what's best for us.
  7. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Kind of makes you wonder who writes these TV programs and gun mag articles... The .45 Colt is a potent short range round. The 7.62X39 is compared to the .30-30 Winchester round ballisticaly, and that one has bagged more deer than any other.

Read any article on American Rifleman or Guns and Ammo, and the NEWEST gee-whiz round is the one to buy. We average shooters are not likely to buy some $10,000 double rifle designed to knock down a bull elephant. (Not too many of those critters to be found here in Eastern Colorado these days...)

You guys can keep your .300 Whoop-De-Do Magnums, and I'll hang on to my old Springfield .30-06. I'd guess Jack would say the same about the .303. Bet your Whoop-De-Do won't kill a deer any more dead than my '06. And the talk about how the newest round will knock over an elk at 500 yards? If you're going to try a shot that far and risk not having a one shot kill, you don't need to be hunting anyway, in my humble opinion. I doubt if Daniel Boone could make a shot like that without some major degree of luck - and hunting is skill, not luck.
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I guess i fall into the Whoop De Dooo crowd since I have a .338 Win Mag. I like it, its a good rifle, Shoots wonderful (Browning A Bolt). But it dont get much use. I have used it to hunt deer and elk. Its better for the Elk but itd like you all said I can use some thing else to hunt with and usually do. ocasionally I'd get a wild burr up my butt and take it out for a c'yote but its a bit much for those little fellers. ]]

Now I agree witht he rest of you folks though that these writers and columnists are a bit outta touch. It seems you will very rarely get a rview on some low bill hunter but they will pick apart the latest firearm manufactured by the High Class, High dollar boyz. I dont take reviews seriousely anywhooooo. I want to hear from a feller that owns one first. Then I might go out and check one out. Right now I cant even afford to be typing this so it dont look like I will be buying anything new any damn way.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the only critter i want a .303 to use on is a big buff ( personally i use .308 a converted Mk 5 or my mc at long range ) big razorbacks or boars or maybe a BIG BIG croc , aint nothing here worth damaging that much if you want to eat it or want the hide

a roo skull is 3-4 mm thick at most ( on the big ones) a .22 is all i need to eat well here

back when it was legal here we would hunt( clear out a area before lambing season, not to eat , parasites ..) pig's with Finnish Valmets ( AK clones ) and droganov's use what you have , forget so called "expert's" i'd rather listen to the folks here who hunt and shoot daily for real and are closer in budget to us than the "experts"

yes i shoot pig's with a McMillan , but thats ' more fun than hunting , we cant eat the things ( parasites) big deer like you have there would be different and them moose things and elk they are huge
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

maybe i can take some small game with my 243
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

That made me laugh!!

I always did think my Savage model 24 camper was a little over the top. I can bust a grouse with the 20 gauge barrel, then snipe a tree rat with the 22lr. It even holds a few 2.5" shells in the stock (thankyou gamebore!!) and 14 shorts. Way too whizzy bangy for me. I use it anyway. Even shoot deer with the 20 gauge barrel and slugs.

Heck my brother hunts deer with a 410 single shot bolt action. Brennekes do a fine job out of that 410 on deer. Hope these experts never hear about this. They would have to dedicate half a years worth of rags telling everyone how wrong my family is on how real hunting is done :rolleyes: ..........

jack404
    I asked one of my buddies at work that is from Montana. He has taken a few Elk with a 45LC. I wonder if that counts as some small game??
  13. johnlives4christ

elk are small compared to the "game" i've seen grazing at mcdonalds recently
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Elk with a 45LC, why not ?? if its feeding you and keeping you safe .. is elk as good as deer meat ? dang experts .. to many experts , not enough expertise

a big elk with a big pistol round, enough expertise for me .. ;)

i always wanted one like this as a backup on big pig hunts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as a side issue , those who are visitors on another forum , may have seen a 9mm pistol round conversion i did on a mauser a couple years back

its a 16 1/4 " barrel 9-1 RHT, and while i've not used it much on game it has taken a 250 lb goat and a few good sized red roo's all at or about 120 yard range ( give or take 20 yards)

thats a 9mm luger pistol round

45LC has twice the energy output at that range and thats where you get your kill, its energy and shot placement

i'd hate for these experts to see the aboriginal folks running round with .410's and flinters dropping big buff and huge pigs on a daily basis

i wonder what the experts would want to shoot a buff ?? 20mm maybe ? 50 cal ? 12.7?
  16. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Just makes you wonder how Wild Bill killed all those fellows with a .36 cap and ball revolver and how our forefathers managed to kill enough deer, elk, bison, and even elk when all they had were flintlock black powder rifles in say .45 and .50. :confused:

I am with Jack in that expertise has it's value, size is not all that matters. :D
  17. ofitg

ofitg New Member

About 100 years ago, an African hunter named Walter Bell killed 1000 elephants with the 7mm Mauser, 300 elephants with the 6.5mm Mannlicher, and 200 elephants with the .303 Enfield.

He wasn't an "expert", though..... he didn't have his own TV show.
  18. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Elk is very good. That pistol should work fine with Kieth hardcast 255s with a gas check at 1000fps. It can be done at standard pressures and maybe even a little faster and still be safe in that gun.

Thats a heavy backup though (weight wise lol). I just carry a XD9 or my G37 for backup now and have killed plenty of deer with 9mm and 45 as a primary enough to know how my carry ammo works in a fleshy test medium. Nice to know your carry gun and load can kill, and what kind of damage it does in flesh. No worries folks, it was all 100% within the game laws...
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this is a baby razorback/ cross black European boar

those tusks will shred you on a little one , the big un's with the 8 " ones will bleed you to death fast , its just the way they attack , get in close and throw them tusks about ... never let one get near you in the scrub , hence the decent back up

for now i use a double barrel .410 loaded with slugs
    we can have short barrels here they just dont like powerfull hand guns nor semi auto rifles

so the weight would be nothing compared to my .410 double

just bad gun laws stopping me from doing it

Attached Files:

20. johnlives4christ

i'd hate to run into one of them without some firepower jack.

one time i shot a bird, field wren, with a 270 weatherby magnum. it literally blew it into 2 halves.