You can't serve God and Mammon

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by 45Auto, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

'Mammon is used to describe greed, avarice, and unjust worldly gain in Biblical literature. Mammon is personified as a false god in the New Testament.{Mt.6.24; Lk.16.13} The term is often used to refer to excessive materialism or greed as a negative influence.'

Here in the U.S. we have something called "Prosperity Theology." Which stands for the concept that wealth is an indication of God's favor upon those who donate money for the church. Does Prosperity Theology serve God or Mammon?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

mammon for my 2 cents
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i believe God views prosperity differently than we do. i generally tune out "prosperity theology"... bc to me, the majority of the time, it comes across as WRONG MOTIVE.

but, i love the prayer of Jabez & pray it daily. God has blessed me & my family & i believe part of that is a direct result of praying this prayer. when i refer to being blessed, i'm not talking about financial wealth, though God has blessed us w/ our financial needs being met.

1 Chronicles 4
    10And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  5. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Amen - daily prayer to start the day!