you guys talk me into buying my first Dillon Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbcooper, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

It takes about 5-minutes to swap out the shell-plate.

The Strong Mount is good for two reasons:

1. It gets the press up away from the side of the bench so you aren't running into it.
    2. It eliminates the "Dilllon Lean".
  2. zant

zant Active Member

Bought my 550 in 1992 used from a competition shooter-then I got into competing....EVERY part I have broken through stupidity/ignorance-Dillon replaced for free.If USA manufacturers treated their customers like Dillon does...there would be no foreign anything sold here....JMO
  3. cutter

cutter New Member

My wife told me to spend the extra and buy a dillon but I bought a green pro-2000 what a pos. I ended up getting the dillon 650 what a difference. I would not trade the dillon. The 550 is cheaper and will do all you need! Reloading equipment are hand tools, buy the best you can afford.
  4. Waldog

Waldog Member

5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I love how LD can totally ignore the largest group as if we didn't even exist.
    Of course I mean THE LEE LOVERS OF AMERICA!!!!!! ( I think LD is one in secret) :D:D:D:D
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Brisk44:

You are right I did overlook the LEE progressive users. But the only things I have read here about the Lee progressives is they are problematical. Still, I should not have overlooked them. I can attest to the problems as I too at one time (pre-Dillon) owned one it was a POS, broke every time I used it, and was so fiddlely as to make reloading a chore rather than fun, like the Dillon does.

So there is the third class of progressive reloading press!

Just to set things straight, I don't dislike things LEE based here-say but based on personal experience. I have bought most of the LEE innovative stuff (unless it was stupid). The common theme (mostly), as I have said many times before, is that they were innovative in design but poor materials choices made them unreliable and not durable. That is not opinion but fact based on my personal experience. Add to that the arrogance of LEE senior in his reloading manual (he thinks he is God's gift to the reloading industry and only he understands how to make reloading equipment) and I developed a dislike of most anything LEE.

There, are you happy to have re-opened the LEE controversy?

LDBennett
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have an OLD RCBS Reloader Special single stage and a Dillon 550B. The only thing I didn't like about the 650 is the auto index can sometimes go a little too fast and and spill powder in shorter pistol cartridges.

I think the Hornady has a better auto index. It does half on the way up and half on the way down.
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Quick and easy as you've had explained to you.

Not insinuating the strong mount is a bad idea, it's just not (always) necessary. I neither need nor use one and my 550 works 100% fine while bolted directly to the bench.

Go ahead, drink some blue kool-aid. You'll love it.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The strong mount is not necessary. The best way is to mount it to a strong bench top and tie the bench to the wall behind the bench.

LDBennett
  10. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

And here's my Dillon offering- I've had mine for over 10 years now with multiple thousands of rounds run through it- .45, 40 S&W, 9mm, 9 mak., 38 & 357. I went with the roller handle because it gives a smoother action to the pull. Also bought the mount. I press my bullets while standing & it adds a bit of movement to ME while i'm reloading. My wife comments that I look like I'm dancing once I had all my movements synchronized! The ONLY problems I've ever had with it was learning to keep the primer feeder clean. This area of the process gets grimey from used brass. I keep a hand vac. close by to keep it moving smoothly & take it apart occasionally to wipe it down with spray gun cleaner. I've never regretted the investment I made & I've enjoyed the "2nd half of shooting" as much as going to the range....AND money saved.

Attached Files:

11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice setup.

And a warm welcome to the forum.
  12. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

well, back in March of this year, I started this thread to ask about upgrading my reloading equipment and getting my first Dillon

it has been a long, busy year, buying a small ranch and working our guts out all summer and fall.
    I just ended up with a nice bonus from work this year and decided it was now or never so I bought a XL 650 and it came in today!!

I am stoked about this big time.

I didn't buy the DVD since I figured there were lots of videos on youtube about setting these up

In addition to the press, I bought the strong mount, the aluminum roller handle, bullet tray, spare primer tubes and the spare parts kit

This stuff aint cheap but I figure it is way worth it.

any set up tips?
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Take your time and read the little booklet that came with it. I don't have a 650 but I am sure my comments will also fit it. I believe that Dillon's website has a lot of videos on it, too. Congratulations on your purchase.
  14. X Ring

X Ring Member

Congratulations, the XL650 is an awesome press, I’ve had one for 18 years. Take your time setting it up, I remember I was eager to get it producing ammo.
  15. cutter

cutter New Member

I have had the XL650 for 2 years now, and once you get it set up and learn how it works you will love it! I can and do spend hours reloading and having fun (not cussing and frustrated). It was one of the best investments I have made in the firearms part of my life.
    Go slow at first and you will have fun!!! :)
  16. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I have it almost ready to go, just a few last checks to do.
    I have the dies and the power charge ready.

The powder drop is amazingly simple and accurate.
    I wanted to run 23 gr of XBR, I changed to the large bar and made some adjustments until I hit 23.1

I then took 3 more charges.. 23.1..23.1.. and 23.2

I never got that out of Lee disk system. I should get my case gage in tomorrow and I want to check my first few for headspace before I get into a long run

so far.. so good. I really like my Dillon:)
  17. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

I have that same Green tool box. It was my Dads.
    I have never seen another till now. way cool
    does yours have the felt linning also?
  18. gunboat

gunboat Member

After reading all these posts, I feel like a inner city disadvantaged victim -
    I still use my old Herters model 3 press.