You guys that cast your own bullets...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mac0083, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

When you go to a tire shop for Wheel Weights, do they readily hand the stuff over, do you have to pay for it, are there legal regulations that they use as an excuse to not give it out, do you just need to "Know A Guy" in the business? Let me know how to finesse the system. Thanks to all the DIY casters out there that respond to this and other questions from the new people. P.S. Oh yeah, where do you get tin? i heard about plumbing supply shops having tin/lead solder bars.
  2. kyle663

kyle663 New Member

as far as i know, only walmart is having they'r ww's hauled away bysome company claiming that its a hazmat or some bs. some places i get them free other's i pay depends on how well they know you. if you get a place that will give them to you or sell them cheap. butter the guys up with a pizza or something once in a while.
  3. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Right now the price I pay at a scrap yard is .26 a pound. When I get wheelweights from a tire shop they usually ask for $5 a bucket & I pay 'em $10. That way they smile when they see me coming to ask for more. Last bucket I got was 72 pounds. 13 cents a pound is still great. The usual answer is that there is one or more people that come looking for wheelweights but they'll check & are usually happy to sell them.

Wheelweights are fine as-is for loads under 1000 fps.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Welcome Kyle:)
  5. doug66

doug66 Member

If no one cast bullets or sinkers in your area they usually have a bunch to give away. I was lucky enough to work at a couple Chevy dealerships for 17 years and packed away quite a few.

All these guys that don't reload seem to spend a lot of time at Wal Marts searching for ammo. I've been thinking about buying a wheel weight removal tool and collecting wheel weights from Wally World's full parking lots.;):D:D
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Nix on the parking lot wheel weights!:D Try a junkyard instead!
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yea, ditto on that. I wouldn't want to get shot over a wheel weight.:eek::D:D
  8. army mp

army mp Member

I go to a couple independent tire stores, and bring a beam scale I use for weighing deer. Along with some 5 gallon buckets. Around here I pay 5 to 10 cents a pound. As for tin. I buy lynotype on line. For a harder mix, But wheel weights have tin in them. And are hard enough for mid-range bullets by them self. Just make shore you pick the stick-on weights out, they are almost pure lead. And will ruin the hole batch. A lot of guys blame bad bullets to not enough tin, when the problem is they have not fluxed the batch enough. Or have too little or too much heat, As far as getting lead at plumbing supply outlets. Forget it. Most places have gotten rid of it by now. And plumber don’t use it anymore.. I know guys who use solder but you don’t want acid core and that can be expensive
  9. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I went to all of the chain stores like Firestone and the others and they won't even sell it. I found a small tire shop that sells used tires that said he gave it to a guy that cast sinkers and wanted to know what I wanted it for, I told him to make bullets and he thought that was cool. He told me to stop buy and if he had some he would give it to me. I found another place with the same deal. I have around 1,200 pounds of free lead so far. You won't be able to find it by calling, you have to hit the road. If you are going to cast WW's you shouldn't need much tin. I use 24" of 1/8" off a roll of 95% tin and 5% antimony in a full 20 pound pot. Just a little bit to help it flow and fill out the mold is all you need.
    Rusty
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have an insider. He runs a tire shop down on the gulf coast. He gives me bucket by bucket as he fills them up and only requires i keep him stocked with loaded ammo for his .30-06, pretty darn good deal since he only shoots once or twice a year (hunting season and the preliminary sight in.). I cast pure wheel weights as they are sufficient enough for most pistol loads and i use gas checks on my heavy magnum pistol loads and rifle loads which keeps the barrel from excessive leading at higher velocities and makes for great expansion on game.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I don't cast but I understand that adding pure tin to a pot of tin/lead metal is a problem as the tin will not melt at the low temperature of the tin/lead combination. I understand tin is best added as a tin/lead metal so that it will melt when dropped into the pot. Wheel weights generally contain lead and tin.

I think real casters need to chime in here.

LDBennett
  12. army mp

army mp Member

Wheel weights contain lead, tin ,and trace amounts of arsenic, as I said above wheel weights work great for most pistol caliber’s, as long as you pick out the stick on weights, how ever, hot loads or rifle should be straight linotype as it has a high tin content. Thus harder bullets. anything over 900 FPS should be gas checked
  13. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Tin will melt around 450 degrees and will mix in with a pot of melted WW's very good. Very little tin is needed, any more than 2% is a waste of tin.
    Rusty
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

what does it take to be a "real caster"...? I mean I have all my equipment, and actually do make the bullets myself, and lube them and size them and ultimately load them and shoot them... But I guess 'real casters' can throw a chunk of lead in thier mouth, give a grunt, take a swig of alox, give a groan and depending on how hard they squeeze crap out at least a dozen sized and ready to load pistol bullets. If I werent so darn scared to get lead poisoning I might try it... I sure wish i knew of another way I could be a "real" caster...;)
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
  15. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My reference about a real caster was in reference to my not doing any casting at all and only being a well informed study of the process through reading. Anything I say about casting has to be weighed and taken with a grain of salt.

LDBennett