You have a spiritual forum. How long can you keep it?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

My thanks as well. and i agree with you carl about finding something in all that to some degree makes sense.
  2. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Agree completely. Life in the Spirit is one thing, theology is another. I take the position that all theology is hogwash, because it represents our ideas and descriptions, our model of reality, and not reality itself. So much of the schismatic influences have been the result not of real difference, but of differences in language or perception. And all theology represents is our perception of God, or of our relationship with God; The God That Is, as he identified himself to Moses, is what God is, and not what we could possibly conceive or describe. "The tao that can be expressed is not the true tao."

When I was a kid, my parents had been separated, and my father got custody (very unusual at that time, but that's another story). Since he had "a life" and had to go to work all day and stuff, I didn't see much of him. And I, being like between three and five years old, not only had no conception of what his life was like, I couldn't even conceive of questioning the matter. All I knew at that time was that there was this big guy who came to fetch me, who took me places, held my hand, showed me things, and talked to me as if I were a person, and (here's the kicker) loved me. He wasn't always visible, but I always knew he was "out there somewhere" and that he loved me. Same thing with the life in the spirit, and why, I think, Jesus referred to "The Deity" as "Daddy". It's a good analogy. No amount of theology can provide what that relationship does. And, ultimately, what I think about God doesn't really matter; what matters is what God thinks and whether I am acting as the incarnation of God's thought, or trying to conjure God into being what I think he ought to be.

I used to get into disputes with people, because I had the idea that some ways of understanding religious ideas are more "effective" than others. I gave up on that. Any moron can do love.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

user:

:)

I sat under an old Baptist preacher when I was first saved.
    He said he had never been to Seminary, and had no intention of going.

He would alternately pronounced it Cemetery, though.

My experience has shown me that, in many instances, he was right - -
    Some of the finest sermons I have ever read were written by men who had no 'formal' religious training.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

How long can we keep it?

Under ANY other circumstances, I would say not long at all. This would have gone down in flames. It's just a testament to the members we have here at TFF.

We are all children in the spritual realm. None of us will ever get to be teenagers.
    I don't think that's even possible, but it's something to shoot for (no pun intended).

I have a hard time with the Bible. It's been 'interpreted' on countless occasions, in many different languages, for someone elses idea of the word.

In my mind, User is spot on.

You can beat the book to death, read it in many convoluted 'interpretations', OR...
    You can be humble in your life, do unto others, speak yer peace gracefully, and let the chips fall where they may.

I will live my life the way my heart and soul dictates.

If that's not good enough by someone elses standard, I can live with that.

God will be my Judge.
  5. ampaterry

I try REALLY hard not to argue any more about Christian issues, Bob.

I remember a time a few years ago when a family started attending our church. Then the first Sunday of the month rolled around, the time when we celebrate the Lords Supper. The head of this family jumped all over me for not having a foot-washing before communion service, because that is the way Jesus did it.

I calmly explained to him that in Jesus time people wore sandals and walked on dusty roads (Israel is NOTORIOUSLY dry), so everywhere they arrived, their feet were dirty.
    Offering to wash someones feet was an extremely humble offering of a needed service.
    Today, people wear shoes, socks, and arrive at the church in a car; their feet are already clean.

The lesson to learn from Jesus example in this instance is to humble ourselves and work for the good of other people, even in the most demeaning of circumstances.

He disagreed, left, and never came back.

I wish he had not left, but under the circumstances, like you, I can live with that.
    God WILL be our judge -
  6. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I agree with Bob that anywhere else this would have been a problem. I believe most here are the religious "right center" of the country and most importantly are respectful and courteous to others and oposing views.
  7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

User, you hit pretty hard, good going.
  8. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After reading some of my posts, if you have, this may come as a surprise, but I was less than a stones-throw away from becoming a Priest. I was as devout, not fanatical, as humanly possible. Didn't happen though. Who knows if I could have made a difference. I don't.
  9. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Raven you made a difference. It is all tallied up there somewhere.
  10. Pensfan

Pensfan New Member

This forum is why I decided to join the group here. It is great to find a community that loves guns and Christ!

:)
  11. ampaterry

Praise the Lord, Brother -

(And pass the ammunition!)
  12. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:thumbsup: welcome aboard! :)
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Pensfan.
  14. TerryR

TerryR New Member

When asked what the greatest commandment was Jesus said, in essence, "Love the Lord your God with every fiber of your being." and then He added, "Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself." On these two hang all the Law and the Prophets. We spend too much time worrying about how to do religion instead of just loving God and others. Do this and all the rest of it just falls into place.

I have approached this with some trepidation as I have been attacked in some other forums for being too open about Spiritual things. I am looking forward to being able to be comfortable in this place.
  15. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find this a comfortable place to be.