You know what to do

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marlin T, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Brady President Paul Helmke Praises Senator Mikulski for Announcement on Gun Data

WASHINGTON, June 7 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Paul Helmke, President ofthe Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued a statement concerningU.S. Senator Barbara Mikulski's announcement that she intends to remove aprovision that hurts law enforcement efforts to fight gun crime from theDepartment of Justice Funding bill. The provision, originally pushed by Rep. Todd Tiahrt of Kansas,restricts the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives fromsharing critical information on crime guns. Mr. Helmke's statement: "We are very grateful to Senator Mikulski for announcing today that sheplans to eliminate restrictions that hurt law enforcement efforts to fightgun crime. These restrictions, which have been in the Justice Departmentfunding bill in previous years, hurt public safety and help corrupt gundealers and gun traffickers. "Senator Mikulski, as Chair of the subcommittee with jurisdiction overthe bill, is definitely going to make this fight more winnable -- but sheknows, and we know, that there's still a real tough fight ahead. The gunlobby doesn't want this information to come out because it shows how thegun industry's distribution system allows guns to move rapidly from thelegal to the illegal markets. "Next Tuesday, law enforcement leaders from many states are coming toWashington to announce their opposition to these restrictions. We arehopeful that this broad law enforcement opposition coupled with SenatorMikulski's leadership can lead to the repeal of these restrictions.America's mayors and police chiefs should have all the information theyneed to continue the fight against illegal gun traffickers." As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leadingthe fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with itsdedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating anAmerica free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, atschool, at work, and in our communities. Contact: Peter Hamm, 202-898-0792s.server=server()s.channel="News Release"s.pageName="Brady President Paul Helmke Praises Senator Mikulski for Announcement on Gun Data"s.prop2="104"s.prop3="06-07-2007"s.prop4=""s.prop5=""/************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);//-->SOURCE Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-07-2007/0004604424&EDATE=
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycg...07a/pr177-07.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    PR- 177-07
    June 7, 2007

STATEMENT BY MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG ON DECISION BY COMMERCE, JUSTICE, SCIENCE (CJS) APPROPRIATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIR SENATOR BARBARA A. MIKULSKI (D-MD) TO REMOVE TIAHRT AMENDMENT FROM KEY CONGRESSIONAL APPROPRIATIONS BILL

"I want to commend Senator Mikulski for her decision to remove the Tiahrt Amendment from the appropriations bill in the key Senate subcommittee that she chairs. This language, slipped into an appropriations bill year after year, protects criminals and hurts cops by limiting law enforcement's access to crucial gun trace data. The FBI's crime report, released just this week, shows that crime across the country has increased for a second year in a row. We can't wait any longer to give our police officers the crime-fighting tools they need to do their jobs. On behalf of over 225 Mayors who have joined Mayors Against Illegal Guns, I want to thank Senator Mikulski for her leadership, and I urge her colleagues in the House of Representatives to follow her example and stand up to protect our police officers and the public."
  3. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

They sure make it sound good, don't they? Nothing but lies. The truth is this is part of Bloomberg's anti gun agenda and he's been pulling strings in Washington to get his way. I'm not standing for it, I've been following this for awhile now and a letter will soon be sent to all of my elected officials.